Cheap DSLR for daughters - Canon?

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    BigMonka said:
    350D would make a great starter camera (that is where I started). 
    Has full manual mode and and Apature/shutter speed priority modes. 8.5mpix is enough to take some great pictures you just can crop as much.
    A 350D was my first DSLR too, I've still got it and hope my daughter will show an interest in it too.
    However I'd recommend at least a 400D in order to get a decent screen size for reviewing the photos (the 350d screen really is tiny).
    FYI You'd need at least a 450D if you wanted to be using SD cards rather than CF cards, and you'd need at least a 500D if she might want to do video as well.
    I have a load of big CFs as well as current SDs so would not be an issue
    I just don't know the best EF-S models since it was 13 years since I moved to the 5D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    celentium said:
    Canon 5D would be an excellent camera to get her started. Plus it's tough and hardy.

I use a 5D as my main camera and my 60D as a backup.

IMO you don't need to spend a penny.
    I could just let her use my gear, but I'd rather not be fussing over it and making her be extra careful before she has a chance to get immersed in it, that's why I thought to get her some cheap kit that I won't fret about
    I'm thinking of a 500D or 550D, about £100-£130 on mpb
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited May 2018
    I've got a nikon d200. Old but gold - 5fps, wonderful sensor (if it's fed light, it's only good to iso 400 in low light and iso 800 in better light). Compatible with all modern flashes  lenses etc. Tough as well. 
    Big, and ugly, like any SLR, but maybe bigger and uglier. I now use a D7200 and have done paid jobs with both. Would sell the d200 for not many pounds, but it's big and heavy... 

I want a Sony mirror less and a fuji x100 though. 
    I've got a nikon d200. Old but gold - 5fps, wonderful sensor (if it's fed light, it's only good to iso 400 in low light and iso 800 in better light). Compatible with all modern flashes  lenses etc. Tough as well. 
    Big, and ugly, like any SLR, but maybe bigger and uglier. I now use a D7200 and have done paid jobs with both. Would sell the d200 for not many pounds, but it's big and heavy... 

I want a Sony mirror less and a fuji x100 though. 
    thanks but I already have some Canon lenses and the pro flash
    now thinking of  used 500D /550D, about £112 - £137 delivered from mpb, and as a starter use my old 28-80, which is like 44-128mm

or buy a new 1300D with 18-55 IS for £291 delivered
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    Hmm, a 500d will be getting on for 10 years old now. I wouldn’t worry so much if it was a 5d or similar level (I’m still using a 5d classic alongside my 5d3 that seems bombproof ) but from personal experience the cheaper plastic body Canons develop error or mechanical problems as they get older. Personally I’d spend a bit more and go for something newer, either used or new. You’ll get a better spec’d camera as well. 
  • now thinking of  used 500D /550D, about £112 - £137 delivered from mpb, and as a starter use my old 28-80, which is like 44-128mm

You might get a 5d mk 1 for less than a 1300d and use your old lens on... 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12349
    edited June 2018
    now thinking of  used 500D /550D, about £112 - £137 delivered from mpb, and as a starter use my old 28-80, which is like 44-128mm

I got my mk1 a couple of years back for £200 (Boxed with all the original bits and 5 batteries!) If you do go for one make sure it’s had the mirror fix done by Canon...a design fault means the mirror can drop and jam the shutter. It was a recall item and done for free but there’s probably still some floating around that haven’t been sorted.

Tbh I’d still go for something newer. It’ll have more features, have a better lcd screen (The 5d Mk1's is pretty clunky by today's standards), generally feel more modern and also do video. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    boogieman said:

I got my mk1 a couple of years back for £200 (Boxed with all the original bits and 5 batteries!) If you do go for one make sure it’s had the mirror fix done by Canon...a design fault means the mirror can drop and jam the shutter. It was a recall item and done for free but there’s probably still some floating around that haven’t been sorted.

Tbh I’d still go for something newer. It’ll have more features, have a better lcd screen (The 5d Mk1's is pretty clunky by today's standards), generally feel more modern and also do video. 
    I agree about going for something more modern.
    I would also suggest that a 5d is quite a big and heavy bit of kit for a 14 to carry round. The 1300d is much smaller and lighter by comparison.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    edited June 2018
    my 2 are both 5'11", so heavier is not as bad as with normal kids. They are quite useful for helping to move furniture, etc. if bribed adequately (e.g. by buying a camera)
    Nevertheless, I agree a 5d is heavy. Used they are about £229 + postage (cheapest, most worn out)

I finally made my mind up to order a 1300d, as mentioned it does video too, £291 with an 18-55 as well
    waited 3 hours until they got back from school, had a chat to make sure they wanted to do Landscapes (since the 28-80 will end up acting like a 44-125mm). They do.
    Went to PC to buy it, and Amazon had increased it to £309.
    Lucky they did, I found it with 2 year warranty for £299 at John Lewis and Currys,
    but Currys also do it with a 2 lens kit for £349 (18-55 and 75-300)
    I ordered that

My 75-300 IS weighs a ton, and has a fault that needs fixing, so £50 extra for a new non-IS one seems a good idea.

I was interested in the new Canon mirrorless, but I think a viewfinder is essential myself

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    I got a Canon mirrorless - I bloody love it - no bulk !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    If they are interested in landscape photography, check out Thomas Heaton's channel on Youtube. In fact, there's lots of landscape photography channels worth a watch, Nigel Danson's is pretty good too.

You've probably just opened yourself up to much spending down the line too :D I find photography more GAS-dangerous than guitar gear!
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Budgie said:
    If they are interested in landscape photography, check out Thomas Heaton's channel on Youtube. In fact, there's lots of landscape photography channels worth a watch, Nigel Danson's is pretty good too.

You've probably just opened yourself up to much spending down the line too :D I find photography more GAS-dangerous than guitar gear!

Thankfully Canon Nikon et al don't have a custom shop 
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2100
    hywelg said:
    Budgie said:

Hahah! They have pro-level gear which is equally excruciating though :D 
    Budgie said:

I moved up to a 5d in 2005 or so, and had some nice lenses
    On the advice of my semi-pro mate, instead of getting a Mk3, I moved to mirrorless, since I don't do high-speed photos
    if the kids get good at it, they can borrow my nice Fuji-X kit, I'll get a second body, etc.

As I anticipated, one of the new lenses was dropped onto a tiled floor within 2 hours of opening the box. Luckily, no harm done.
    That's why I wanted them at arm's length from my kit for a while, I'd just be a pain nagging them about dust and fingerprints.

I wondering about the new Fuji-X up-market models, but I need to start taking more photos to justify it.

I have a nice set of studio lights and a Lastolite hi-lite background, so once they get the hang of the SLR, I'll get them onto studio lighting too
    hywelg said:
    Budgie said:

What's "L" glass if not a similar path?
    rocktron said:
    Standard kit though. You can't get  a 28-300L in blue. Or with a masterbuilders name on it. And I don't see any hang tags. 
    hywelg said:
    Budgie said:

What's "L" glass if not a similar path?
    It's the equivalent of USA built versus Mexican/Squier