Amplifi TT - worth it for practice/experimenting?

What's Hot
m_cm_c Frets: 1238
Since these are currently on offer for £89, I'm tempted.
Use would be mostly via a set of headphones, and so I can experiment with the effects.

Worth the money, or are there better options at a similar price?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    I was thinking the same thing. Especially with the 'put it on top of your home stereo' option....
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I had one - was rubbish. Bluetooth issues meant i couldn't change fx or jam along to songs on my phone. I had mine swapped for a boss micro br 80 that i still use 2 years later

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    A mate of mine has one and loves it. Small and compact it just sits in his lounge and he has it connected to his sound system and controls it via his iPad. It sounded good and was great fun .. he'll be gutted it's now £89. I recall MusicRadar gave it an excellent review.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    where is it for £89?
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    adampeter said:
    where is it for £89?
    GuitarGuitar
    Vaiai said:
    adampeter said:
    where is it for £89?
    GuitarGuitar
    Wow .. definitely worth £89 ..

Did they update the bluetooth/app since the launch?
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1238
    Did they update the bluetooth/app since the launch?

Looking through the available updates, it's showing as having a major flash update 29/10/15 which lists Bluetooth improvements, and there was another flash update 29/6/17 with minor fixes.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Tbh, we all know how flakey Bluetooth can be.
    I never understood the point of these and still don’t. It’s a POD Xt that’s controlled by your phone... you still connect your guitar by a cable and you can plug a POD into your home stereo. A POD is easier to use, more reliable and cheaper.

IMHO these and the other Bluetooth enabled products were the last straw for Line6... and the sales figures were terrible. There was a reason...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Aye after some thought I really don't need one.
    impmann said:
    Tbh, we all know how flakey Bluetooth can be.
    I never understood the point of these and still don’t. It’s a POD Xt that’s controlled by your phone... you still connect your guitar by a cable and you can plug a POD into your home stereo. A POD is easier to use, more reliable and cheaper.

IMHO these and the other Bluetooth enabled products were the last straw for Line6... and the sales figures were terrible. There was a reason...
    I agree .. still have my original POD and a PODxt .. both still work and get use.

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    You could pick up a Boss GT 001 or Zoom G3 type unit used for around that, maybe a bit more. No Bluetooth worries - just a conventional Aux in and headphones/speaker out. No good if you're using one of those stupid new iPhones for backing tracks though. 

I like my GT 001 for headphone practice/recording. It's tiny and would fit easily on top of a hifi. While the amp sims aren't the best they are fine for practice or for rough recordings. The effects seem decent enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's the ability to alter the FX via a phone/tablet that actually appeals to me the most, just so experimenting with effects is easier.
    I do have a Fender Mustang amp, and a bluetooth receiver so I can stream from my phone, but changing FX via the amp is fiddly, and I can rarely be bothered plugging a computer into it. So much so, that I've not even installed the software on my new laptop, and it's 9 months old.

I've ordered a TT, as I think it will suit me quite well, but I can see why it won't suit everyone.
    The TT got delivered today, and initial impressions are it does what I want it to, and it is actually pretty good.

Effects are more than good enough for practise. I was actually pretty surprised how well the default drive setting reacted to volume change on the guitar. Went from pretty clean, to breaking up, quite nicely depending on volume setting and how hard the strings were hit. The Mustang on the other hand is no where near as responsive.
    Editing the effects with the app is super easy. Touch the effect and it opens the settings, or drag and drop it to change it's order in the chain.
    Bluetooth streaming worked without any problems.

Only thing that surprised me was how big it is, as I thought it would be reasonably small. It does explain why the sockets looked small in photos.
    edited May 2018
    m_c said:
    The TT got delivered today, and initial impressions are it does what I want it to, and it is actually pretty good.

Effects are more than good enough for practise. I was actually pretty surprised how well the default drive setting reacted to volume change on the guitar. Went from pretty clean, to breaking up, quite nicely depending on volume setting and how hard the strings were hit. The Mustang on the other hand is no where near as responsive.
    Editing the effects with the app is super easy. Touch the effect and it opens the settings, or drag and drop it to change it's order in the chain.

Only thing that surprised me was how big it is, as I thought it would be reasonably small. It does explain why the sockets looked small in photos.

Do you use it through an amp or through a home stereo?
    m_c said:

Do you use it through an amp or through a hoem stereo?
    Just through headphones at the moment.
    I'll probably get it plugged into my mini-tweed amp at some point, just to see how it sounds through a proper amp, but that will involve tidying up and finding enough cables!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom