PSA: MusicMan Stingray Guitars £999 at GuitarGuitar

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2353

Not the prettiest MusicMan model, to put it mildly, but an exceptionally built, beautiful instrument for £999 brand new delivered.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/clearance/music-man/guitars/electric/?InStockOnly=False&MaxPrice=&MinPrice=&ClearanceType=&Ordering=3

I could never imagine these selling all that well.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5416
    edited May 2018
    Wow. Good deal. The 2018s are likely inbound sooner than August (which was the time promised at NAMM)?

They've got a roasted crazy-figured neck now as standard... so if you prefer your wood less blingy, this is definitely a good grab as the new ones at full price will most likely be pushing £2k.

Interesting quirk I just noticed - stainless steel frets - divisive!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    wow thats cheaper than used ones
  • sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    Shame they look so hideous 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited May 2018

I have one and it’s a bloody amazingly well built guitar. I didn’t pay full whack and just a tiny bit more than the above for a new sealed one which was in their warehouse fresh from the dealer.

EDIT! GG have refunded me to take it down to £999 due to how close my purchase was to this. Good work GG.

QC is miles above Fender and Gibson.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    PS you’d be insane to pass one of these up considering they were £1750 ish! 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    I must admit I can see why they were reduced.  :s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Damn, I read the title and assumed it was Stingray *bass* guitars new for under a grand...

I wasn't even aware they'd tarnished the name with such an awful guitar design.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    ICBM said:
    Damn, I read the title and assumed it was Stingray *bass* guitars new for under a grand...

I wasn't even aware they'd tarnished the name with such an awful guitar design.
    Well, the "awful" design is actually a derivation of Leo's original design for the 1970s Stingray I and II guitars. Like this one:

I used to play in band with a singer who owned one - and it was a great sounding instrument, with really nice build quality. Some of the design was a little... clunky, but it actually made sense from a player's perspective. Often some of the best looking guitars aren't so good to operate live (not talking about the necks etc.... I mean the controls etc). The MM was actually very good, as I had to play it a couple of times when I broke strings etc...

TBH, if I had a bag of sand spare right now, I'd be snapping one up.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Well I used to think the Albert Lee was an 'out there' shape, until I ended up buying one.

If you've never picked up a Musicman guitar or bass, you really need to see how much attention to detail they have. Everything is just first class. There are a few people I know who want to know what the Musicman humbuckers are in the Stingray guitar to put them in their other guitars - you can't 'buy' them off the shelf unfortunately.

Compared to my Les Paul, the Stingray guitar is light years ahead and way more articulate.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    impmann said:

Well, the "awful" design is actually a derivation of Leo's original design for the 1970s Stingray I and II guitars.
    I forgot they'd used the Stingray name on guitars back then, I thought they were called Sabres.

They're quite elegant compared to the ones in the link, and still borderline ugly...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665

That's a Sabre - I think they were the active ones... IIRC
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

I so very nearly pulled the trigger last night... but I just can't quite because this will be me in two months...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    I so very nearly pulled the trigger last night... but I just can't quite because this will be me in two months...

I had the same feeling, but an extra £1000 +.,,,,nah.
    It's just... those necks... 

The 2018s have the full oil & wax treatment that MM is so good at... it's a big deal... will cross fingers that nobody will buy them and they'll get reduced to clear too someday maybe. :relaxed: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Whitecat said:
    It's just... those necks... 

The 2018s have the full oil & wax treatment that MM is so good at... it's a big deal... will cross fingers that nobody will buy them and they'll get reduced to clear too someday maybe. :relaxed: 

Yeah I agree they are stunning! I have an all rosewood neck Albert Lee which is fantastic. My Musicman Stingray Classic 5 String Bass has a highly figured birdseye neck and I love it. The normal maple necks do look a bit plain compared to it.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited May 2018
    The oil and wax thing is pretty simple, it’s just gunstock oil and wax. There’s a video on how to do it on their YouTube. You’re supposed to re-apply it about once a year which reminds me it’s about time to do it on my 4HH Ray
    The oil and wax thing is pretty simple, it’s just gunstock oil and wax. There’s a video on how to do it on their YouTube. You’re supposed to re-apply it about once a year which reminds me it’s about time to do it on my 4HH Ray
    Indeed - but if I got one of the blowout specials I'd have to sand the poly off... and it all starts to sound like work... and I might have a nicer feeling neck out of it, but it wouldn't quite have the sex factor of flame or birdseye...
    edited May 2018
    Just to tempt you, IMO the poly on the 2016/2017 models is very thin on the neck.....the rosewood board is fantastically dark on mine.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Ah I didn't realise these models weren't finished in that way already.
    Yeah the 2016/2017 Cutlass/Stingray Guitar and the Caprice/Cutlass Bass have necks finished more like a modern Fender....because they wanted to appeal to that market I guess.