Stripped Tele neck adjustment screw head - drill it out??

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
While fitting a new pick guard ( a rather nice aged bakelite one from @streethawk ), I stupidly, stupidly decided to experiment with pickup heights  - god knows why it sounded bloody ace as it was. Anyway, I've stripped the head of one of the neck adjustment screws. Obviously now it's stuck - drill it out? or is there an alternative as I really don't want to attempt messing things up more with a handheld a power drill.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    If it’s the pickup screw just cut the head off, take the pickup out, then remove the screw with pliers
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    WezV said:
    If it’s the pickup screw just cut the head off, take the pickup out, then remove the screw with pliers
    Ok, but how do I cut the head off as it's deep in the cavity and a tight space.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Are we talking about a body-mounted or pick guard mounted pickup? If it’s guard mounted then take the guard off, and push the pickup upwards through the guard. If it’s body mounted then you may be able to push the pickup down away from the screw head. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    It's body mounted.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    I would just get a pair of pliers and grip the screw head, with the pickup pushed down - you should be able to turn it. You don’t need to worry about damaging the head if you’re going to replace the screw anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    A small pair of mole grips are the best thing if you have some. You can get a tight grip on the screw head, lock them in place and unscrew without risk of slipping and damaging your guitar.
    Failing to see how any type of pliers or cutting tool will work in such a tiny working space - I can't push the pickup down as it is screwed right down as it is.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Zoolooter said:
    Failing to see how any type of pliers or cutting tool will work in such a tiny working space - I can't push the pickup down as it is screwed right down as it is.
    Google small end cutters.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Zoolooter said:
    In that case drill the head off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Zoolooter said:
    In that case drill the head off.
    Cheers
  • rossirossi Frets: 1698
    Have you got the pickguard off or have you screwed into the body using the pickguard hole if it has one .
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    A picture says a thousand words - and posting one would make helping you much easier! 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    You can get screw removal drill bits (you put the drill into reverse and it bites into the screw head).
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 108
    If you have any screw head left, try putting a small dab of valve grinding past on the tip of the screw driver.
    It has the tendency to allow the screwdriver to bite into the screw  and increase the touque you can apply.
  • mooncatmooncat Frets: 108
    sorry meant valve grinding paste!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6635
    You could just get Oil City or another UK based pickup maker to rewind the broken pickup.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Might be worth Googling ‘Esquire wiring’ at this point....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2018
    Might be worth Googling ‘Esquire wiring’ at this point....
    That did make me laugh