NGD - Modded - Another PRS Bernie!

What's Hot
thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
After being gutted that I bought a brand new Gibson LP and didn't bond with it, I needed to find an alternative.

So inspired by @TA22GT I got a guitar I'd fancied for quite a while, the PRS SE Bernie Marsden. Ex-Display model for 600 quid.

I switched the tuners to Gotoh SD90 so they still look like the traditional LP tuners (like the ones that come with the Bernie) but are locking tuners.

Also switched the pickups to Bare Knuckle Mules with aged nickel covers.

At the same time I changed out the electronics, CTS pots (which also meant I had to get new knobs so went for more traditional bell-shaped) and Switchcraft output jack. Had also bought a Switchcraft 3-way toggle switch but it didn't work and when I looked at it, it didn't surprise me as it seems to be quite badly made. To be honest I was shocked with the whole design of that switch in general, doesn't seem very reliable. The stock one seems to be a lot better actually; the main reason I switched it is because it's slightly stiff but I can live with that.

I also installed a treble bleed mod for the first time, just testing that out to see how I like it.

Only thing wrong with the guitar is that the frets are a bit uneven so I'm waiting in a queue to get them in to a shop to have them levelled. Assuming the fret levelling solves the fret buzz problem, this guitar will be as good as any I've played. Even though I've spent quite a chunk on upgrades, the initial price of the guitar will still be an overall good deal.

Guitar - 600; tuners - 90; pickups - 265; electronics - 50; fretwork should be around 80 = not much over a grand.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I don't know why your post has got a lol? That's a lovely guitar mate,  what does it sound like with those Mules installed? What amp will you be playing it through and what style playing will you be using it for? I'd love to know what type of tone you're getting.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    zepp76 said:
    I don't know why your post has got a lol? That's a lovely guitar mate,  what does it sound like with those Mules installed? What amp will you be playing it through and what style playing will you be using it for? I'd love to know what type of tone you're getting.
    Cheers bro. I play it through an Atomic Amplifire (amp modeling pedal) and really love the sound of it with the Mules.

I generally pay blues or classic rock style, still very much learning so try to play different things.

I could upload a sound clip but my playing isn't top notch or anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    thegummy said:
    zepp76 said:
    Cheers bro. I play it through an Atomic Amplifire (amp modeling pedal) and really love the sound of it with the Mules.

I generally pay blues or classic rock style, still very much learning so try to play different things.

Nice, glad you're enjoying it. I mainly play blues and classic rock too and am quite interested in the Bernie, how were the stock pick ups? I'm guessing not too great if you've replaced them?
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12353
    I'm not really into PRS's but that looks like a classy guitar.  Cream pickup surrounds and aged humbuckers are a lovely combination.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    These look so much nicer with covered pick-ups like that. 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    zepp76 said:
    thegummy said:
    zepp76 said:

Nice, glad you're enjoying it. I mainly play blues and classic rock too and am quite interested in the Bernie, how were the stock pick ups? I'm guessing not too great if you've replaced them?
    They weren't bad at all really, I already had the Mules that my mrs got me as a present so it's not like I bought them in response to disappointment at the stock ones.

I do agree with @not_the_dj that the guitar looks better with covered pickups.

I'll upload a wee sound clip later, it's my birthday today so after I'm finished celebrating I'll upload a recording lol
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    thegummy said:

I'll upload a wee sound clip later, it's my birthday today so after I'm finished celebrating I'll upload a recording lol
    Happy birthday! Looking forward to hearing how the Bernie sounds! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Happy Birthday! I too like the look of covered pickups better than open coils. You are giving me ideas!
    Pleased for you that the Mules are sounding good in it and worth the swap. My toggle switch is fine but it does have an annoying click when you change pickups.
    Still really loving mine.
    I am in to big necks and the neck on the Bernie is just right for me.
    Enjoy your guitar!
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I have those machine heads too, they're definitely up there with the best i've used. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7414
    Mules are great - bet it sounds great 

If you could get them with dot  inlays I'd have one 
    Red ones are better. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2390
    Love it! Doing very similar things to my Bernie in the near future, always exciting to see modded Bernies. How are you liking the Mules in it?
    Tim