Janglebox - anyone use one?

What's Hot
Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
Any opinions? I'm looking for that authentic Byrds sound. I have tried other compressors for this and haven't liked any of them. Especially interested in the JB Nano.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    I had a Janglebox 2. The EQ was good, the boost barely used, and it wasn't that quiet. The Diamond Compressor was much better. 

An authentic Byrds sound is the sound of compressors in series being nailed into the mixing board. 

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    No experience with the Janglebox, but if you're really going for a McGuinn sound, don't overlook the treble booster too.  He had a Vox Treble Booster circuit installed in his Ric 12.  I built a 2-in-1 from a pair of pedalparts kits - a Vox Treble Booster into a modified Orange Squeezer - and with the OS set for a fairly heavy squash, it gets pretty close.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    Keep in mind a janglebox is basically a Ross/dynacomp clone with more treble. So one of those turned up full with a treble boost should get you some of the way there. 

And learn to hybrid pick a Rickenbacker. That probably has a larger effect.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650

I had a Jangle box 2, bought and then sold on here.

It was fun but I found it more useful for recording than playing live.

• Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Great input folks - thanks. I had a Dynacomp and didn't like it, however that was before I put toasters in my Ricky. Might be worth another try, but it's the combination of treble boost & comp that really appeals.  
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16000
    good old school treble boosters are so useful for so many sounds and so overlooked in favour of newer ,allegedly cleverer boutique pedals with fancier trendier names
    there,I said it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    Yeah in my first proper band (1980) I played a Les Paul copy into a Watkins Westminster with a treble booster in between. I actually don't know the name of it - it was a weird grey metallic thing with gain and I think volume controls along with a 6 band graphic eq. About the size of a big muff. I thought it sounded great at the time but thankfully no recordings have survived :)  
  • Thanks to @nonesuch I now have one and it's a game changer for me. For those numbers where I want to get that 'ticket to ride' chime it's right there. Great for big, toppy chord work a la early Who. 
    I'm impressed that it's relatively low noise and also it doesn't kill all your dynamics like normal compressors. Truly a magical box! 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7743
    I wouldn’t buy a janglebox. A decent cheap EQ pedal (Joyo/Moore etc) and compressor will do the same job for a fraction of the price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    I'm looking for that authentic Byrds sound.
    For the authentic early McGuinn recorded sound, D.I. through a pair of Teletronix LA-2A units, linked in series.
    Be seeing you.
  • davejmdavejm Frets: 3
    For what it's worth - given the price of a Janglebox I was looking for a compressor with a treble boost (to try with my Greco 12) and found a Rowin for about 20 quid on eBay. It gets you  far closer to the McGuinn sound than such a cheap pedal has any right to....