SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB original pair of P90 pickups (ideally 1960) but open to late 50's too!

What's Hot
designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 987
edited May 2018 in Parts £
Im looking to buy an original pair of 1960 or similar pair of soap bar p90's for my Les Paul special restoration. 

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Would love to see a picture of your Special, especially if it's a '60.  I've got one, I'm guessing mid-late '60, skinny neck, later style reflectors, extra '1' in the serial number - 01xxxx.
  • Would love to see a picture of your Special, especially if it's a '60.  I've got one, I'm guessing mid-late '60, skinny neck, later style reflectors, extra '1' in the serial number - 01xxxx.
    Thanks! Yeah its an interesting one because its a conversion. Basically it's a 1960 body that has an earlier 50's junior neck thats been converted to a special neck with binding. Sounds slightly strange but it all works. Bought it very recently as the seller didn't have time to finish the restoration so i bought it with the aim of  bringing it back to something that i can use. It's got bareknuckle p90's but wanted to get it original as i can. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
  • @SteveRobinson   yes that's the one, looked like an interesting project so bought it and thought it could be fun. It's a really decent player with lots of mojo. Looks like it will be a good candidate for a restoration. 
    Im thinking i will paint it but the current finish is quite nice. But I'm still not quote sure on colour. The obvious one is a TV yellow but I'm also considering an aged black finish too. Open to opinions! 

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    Very interesting, what a nice project to have. 

I don't think you need P90's from exactly 1960.  They changed a little in '57 I think (different magnets?) and then again I think a little while after 1960.  Unless of course you want 1960 P90's 'cos it's a '60 Special.  I've played a dozen or so Juniors and Specials from '55 to '63 and they're all a little different sounding, but all good. 

What tailpiece is on it? 
  • Thanks @springhead , yeah really looking forward to it. Its my first proper project so still working out what to do with it but open to ideas, not sure wether to go TV yellow  or Black (both aged), but i think it would be nice to keep as many parts period correct if i can. 

Thats a really good point that you make about the p90's. i think i would be open to anything late 50's and 60 but they prove hard to find and very expensive so maybe ill just  stick with the current ones and wait it out for some to come along. I originally thought 60's as the body is from 1960 but the neck is from the 50's so i guess it doesn't have to be 1960's p90's. 

In regards to the tailpiece it appears to be a period correct style wrap around bridge but i doubt it's original. seems to be a decent replica although i may look at getting a mojoaxe one. Im thinking about doing a bit of a build thread for it as i think it could be quote an interesting project. i also have been chatting with the fantastic miserneil on here who might be able to help me out with the finishing and ageing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    You should speak with @jumping@shadows too, he's the man when it comes to filling and re-routing old Les Pauls.
  • You should speak with @jumping@shadows too, he's the man when it comes to filling and re-routing old Les Pauls.
    Thanks Steve, yeah I saw he recently did a black over tv yellow special which looked really cool. 
    tFB Trader
    Black will show any repairs more than any other colour. With TV Yellow you have lots of ways to disguise any fills.
  • Ah thanks for the advice @SteveRobinson . TV yellow it is!, I think the heel might need some work too. Because the neck came from a single cut i guess it was shorter than the double cut neck so the heel is a slightly different shape to a standard special. Not sure wether to leave as is or not. You can see better in the ebay pics but might upload as a NGD thread later on.