Swimmers Unite! Shame about the facilities...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26916
    Move to the middle east? We have a 50m pool in our building. Usually empty... :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    edited May 2018
    So last night I went in with very low expectations and the aim was to stay calm, let the missus do her 30 lengths then just get out. But I thought, actually I will go every time I'm able to and see how well I get on.

In the time it took my missus to do 30 lengths of breaststroke, I managed the princely total of 11.3 lengths front crawl.

The .3 is because on 7 of the twelve lengths I had to stop swimming for the last five metres due to the arrogant shits staying in front of me but going very slowly indeed.

I'm not proud to say but I lost my rag several times. I think resolving to stay calm actually made my frustration worse.

Tosspots, the university who manage it and the imbeciles swimming in the pool
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27989
    Maybe you should try breaststroke. It sounds a lot more effective. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Last time I went swimming I was a mid-teenager. The chlorine dried my eyes out and for 3 weeks after I was in agony. I swore never again.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Sporky said:
    Ha well... I did go in the slow lane last Sunday and bombed it up and down the middle instead of faffing about in the "fast lane" after they closed the actual fast lane and merged it with the medium lane. 

I would do breastroke more as I used to be a breastroke swimmer back in the day however because of this my right knee is shot and I can't do many lengths before it kicks off shooting pains in the leg
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    I was getting really excited until I realised it said "swimmers" and not "swingers" 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1231
    Sporky said:
    Ha well... I did go in the slow lane last Sunday and bombed it up and down the middle instead of faffing about in the "fast lane" after they closed the actual fast lane and merged it with the medium lane. 

I would do breastroke more as I used to be a breastroke swimmer back in the day however because of this my right knee is shot and I can't do many lengths before it kicks off shooting pains in the leg
    Sounds like you've got rubbish technique or doing the kick old school which did put a lot of strain on hips/knees.
    Ironically, the worst I've ever done my back in, was while doing breaststroke. I find it really punishes my lower core, so after doing a few lengths, combined with a slight slip/jar pushing of the end, I felt a pop. I spent the next few days struggling to stand straight.

I've had some swim lessons, and they've made a huge difference to me. I'm still trying to reach my goal of being able to do multiple lengths non-stop, but at least now I don't just flail in the water and know what I need to work on. 
    I'm actually envious of people who can just slowly go up and down a pool with rubbish technique, as if I go that slow I just sink :-/
    edited May 2018
    m_c said:
    Sporky said:

Sounds like you've got rubbish technique or doing the kick old school which did put a lot of strain on hips/knees.
    Ironically, the worst I've ever done my back in, was while doing breaststroke. I find it really punishes my lower core, so after doing a few lengths, combined with a slight slip/jar pushing of the end, I felt a pop. I spent the next few days struggling to stand straight.

I've had some swim lessons, and they've made a huge difference to me. I'm still trying to reach my goal of being able to do multiple lengths non-stop, but at least now I don't just flail in the water and know what I need to work on. 
    I'm actually envious of people who can just slowly go up and down a pool with rubbish technique, as if I go that slow I just sink :-/
    Ahh no my knee problems were because I grew too quickly, I had a significant growth spurt around the age of 12/13 and my Knee bones grew quicker than the muscles and tensions/ligaments around the knees so effectively the joint was scraping against itself which hurt quite a bit, they've never been the same since.

On the plus side that growth spurt did rather propel me to the top six in the county at breastroke and backstroke despite training four out of the five sessions I used to do a week using only my arms for the best part of a year!
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Any recommendations for goggles? I'm only planning on going every couple of weeks, so don't want to spend a fortune.  Cheers!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    duotone said:
    Any recommendations for goggles? I'm only planning on going every couple of weeks, so don't want to spend a fortune.  Cheers!
    Don't buy these, they leak terribly

axisus said:
    duotone said:
    Don't buy these, they leak terribly

Have a similar pair of RayBans already & they leak just as bad =) 
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 851
    edited June 2018
    90-100 lengths a day, 4-5 days a week, at my local indoor (25m) pool.
    I can recommend it - best exercise I ever done!
    I'm 64 end of June.
    40 lengths = 1 km, 64 = 1 mile.
    duotone said:
    @duotone for goggles I'd just go to sports direct and get some speedo ones, if they say they are for training even better - racing ones are small and hurt your eyes. Should be round about a tenner and they last a good while if you dry them after each use. Hope this helps
    duotone said:
    @duotone for goggles I'd just go to sports direct and get some speedo ones, if they say they are for training even better - racing ones are small and hurt your eyes. Should be round about a tenner and they last a good while if you dry them after each use. Hope this helps
    Cheers @thecolourbox ;

I appreciate it!
    My pleasure. Good luck with the swimming adventure my friend