Nova drive .. any good ?

What's Hot
bluenosebluenose Frets: 22
Thinking of trying one out with my G-System as i'm limited to just my two amp channels, and it could give me a lot more flexibility.
Any opinions would be greatly welcome.

There is one on ebay at the moment ,thought unfortunately it does not appear to include the connecting midi y cable.
The cables are a bit like hens teeth, even TC no longer have them.

Some shops seem to have taken advantage of this just a tad.

https://www.woodbrass.com/en-gb/midi-and-digital-cables-tc-electronic-midi-split-cable-for-nova-drive-p167462.html

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NomadNomad Frets: 549

I've got one and I like it. Not used in a G-system, just in front of my amp. I use it with the add-on 3-way switch, which gives banks of three patches (the pedal switches become bank up/down). The banks are assigned to guitars, giving each three patches: mild overdrive, medium drive (classic rock type), and heavy gain. The first two tend to be just the overdrive pedal, and the heavy gain is distortion pedal into overdrive. I also have a bank set up more as clean boosts to push the amp's drive channel to varying degrees (Blues Deluxe - pretty mild amp drive).

No reliability issues (bought new a few years ago, used at home only).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    Ive owned one twice actuslly. Never really bonded with it found the drives rather bland
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I used to have one when I used a G system.    I found it to be very flexible and really liked the sound of stacking the two sides of the pedal.  
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
    I doubt the cable would be a problem. Don't spend silly money on an "official" one. You could have anyone with a soldering iron and a swear jar knock one up.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I've got one and find them very flexible. I use MIDI footswitches to select patch number with CC control of which side is active and a couple of others to alter settings on the fly. I don't need the Y cable but it's a doddle to make one up.
  • I really liked mine. The tube screamer type side especially 
  • bluenosebluenose Frets: 22
    Thanks all for all the input , decided after much thought not to buy one based purely on the extra hassle of hooking it up. 
    Presumed the g-systems onboard supply would power it , but no, that would be too simple.

• bluenose said:
    Thanks all for all the input , decided after much thought not to buy one based purely on the extra hassle of hooking it up. 
    Presumed the g-systems onboard supply would power it , but no, that would be too simple.

Yeah that was a major brain fart by TC
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    bluenose said:

Has anyone actually tried it though? Mine works fine on 9v power from my G-Lab GSC-2. I tried it on the off chance one and now have no need to use the Nova’s own PSU. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    StefB said:
    bluenose said:

Has anyone actually tried it though? Mine works fine on 9v power from my G-Lab GSC-2. I tried it on the off chance one and now have no need to use the Nova’s own PSU. 

In general the Nova pedals take an absolutely stupid amount of current so you have to be a bit careful with the power supply ou use.

One thing that not everyone knows is that the 12v Nova pedals can run on 9v (taking an even more stupid amount of current) although in this configuration they have reduced headroom it only really matters if you intend to use an active bass with them. 

Soundwise I've had a Nova and I thought it was pretty good if a bit generic. If you need a few analogue drive sounds integrated into a MIDI rig it's the best choice.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
     I used to run a Nova mod pedal thing at 9v of a diago Daisy chain PSU (the smaller one) It worked fine with 5 other pedals
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5136
     I used to run a Nova mod pedal thing at 9v of a diago Daisy chain PSU (the smaller one) It worked fine with 5 other pedals

Same, only mine ran off a One Spot, and I don't remember exactly how many other pedals there were (the only other digital pedal with any significant mA draw was a Boss DD20).

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Tried mine at 9V on my Strymon Zuma PSU, and it seems to work fine as well.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• See if I’d known it worked on 9v I’d never have gotten rid of it
  • bluenosebluenose Frets: 22
    Sort of changes things a bit then if it could be powered by the G-Sytems onboard supply.
    May buy one now if there's one going about cheap enough.