Laurel or Yanni ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13021
I'm amazed nobody has a thread on this yet....  so.....

I hear Laurel - clear as a bell.  I cannot understand how anyone can hear 'Yanni' or anything like it !

Mrs Fab hears "Yammy".  I'm baffled.
98% shouting at clouds and 2% laminate flooring
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 2056
    edited May 17
    I hear bollox.

But I have NHS hearing aids.

Grown most uncommonly fat!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 5454
    I hear Yanny, my wife hears Laurel.

People who hear Laurel have something wrong with them and need help.
    Michael Fish is God
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 4769
    edited May 18
    Well it’s both isn’t it? It’s a high voice saying Yanny and a low one saying Laurel (or a digital artefact to that effect left over in the recording). I expect as you get older the lower pitch one starts to trump the higher one. 

This one is brilliant: brainstorm vs green needle
    https://youtu.be/1okD66RmktA
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1171
    Saw this on the news.  I heard laurel, the wife heard yanni.
    “Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?' 'Supposing it didn't,' said Pooh after careful thought. Piglet was comforted by this.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 2390
    I get Yaaurel
    Tim Burr: Lumberjack and Musician
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13021
    OMG OMG OMG.....  What the fuck have you done to my head ??!!!!!   Green Needle.....  Brainstorm......   I think it and it says it !!!!   That is insane !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 6979
    I heard Laurel ( and it is a recording of someone saying Laurel ) the first day and Yanni the next. 

Green needle on the other one. 
    I feel the warm, healing, liquid presence of God’s genuine cold-filtered grace. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2728
    I heard Yanni the first time the phrase played and Laurel for every single other one. Now actively trying to hear Yanni again and its not happening. 
    Pitch shifted up Yanni is crystal clear however. Very strange.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 2819
    Laurel on the first one, clear as day.
    That Brainstorm/Green Needle one is a cracker though! Audio only, I can only hear Brainstorm. But then if I look at the words at the same time then I hear whichever word I'm looking at. Weird!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • lonestarlonestar Frets: 1779
    Wtaf? 
    Owner of SC Relics Guitars 
    www.screlics.co.uk • www.facebook.com/screlics 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • proggyproggy Frets: 1799
    "That's another fine mess you've gotten us into"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 1215
    Laurel and Green Needle cannot hear anything else at all?
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 1367
    edited May 18
    Whenever this comes up, I think/see Jack & Danny!

I can't hear either :(
     www.cairoeast.co.uk - Madness Tribute band (Bass Player) and guitarist elsewhere
    Feedback - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57885/
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 772
    edited May 18
    munckee said:
    Laurel and Green Needle cannot hear anything else at all?
    try DiscoStu method. it worked for me. weird.
    First one i can only hear laurel though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 31545
    It’s purely a frequency thing. I hear Laurel if hold my phone normally with the speaker facing downwards so the highs aren’t very audible, but I hear both layered over each other if I point the speaker directly at my ear. I assume that if the bass was more rolled off it would start to sound like just Yanny.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 1071
    edited May 18
    Well that just kicked off... it ended with the Mrs storming off to work and her last words to me were. And I quote... “it’s yanny you f&£king prick”...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 5793
    The green needle thing doesn't work at all.. what I hear sometimes matches what I think, but not all the time. I especially concentrated on Green Needle, and still heard brainstorm from time to time.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 785
    Yanniiiii!

Anecdotal evidence suggests its an age thing. Older ears hear Laurel.

Or actual evidence as @ICBM has said.. it's a frequency thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • teradaterada Frets: 527
    Laurel and, weirdly, brain needle. Hmmmm
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8779
    heard it in the pub yesterday. YELLEH.

But it was on one of those crappy mobile phone speakers ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    viz said:
    Well it’s both isn’t it? It’s a high voice saying Yanny and a low one saying Laurel (or a digital artefact to that effect left over in the recording). I expect as you get older the lower pitch one starts to trump the higher one. 
    This also explains that the recording is distorted - which is something that doesn't happen with the natural sounds our ears and brain have evolved to distinguish.

viz said:

This one is very interesting - listen to it with your eyes open, then with your eyes closed.

Eyes open - green needle. Eyes closed - brainstorm.

The light flashes three times - one long followed by two short - so if your eyes are open you think you hear three syllables, one long followed by two short. With your eyes closed you only hear two long ones.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13021
    I've tried really hard to hear Yanni but I can't.  Furthermore, I can't even grasp how a word starting 'LOR' could be heard by anyone as starting with "YAN" - they are completely different sounds!

Mind you, I can clearly hear both Brainstorm and Green Needle - and they're totally different sounds too !

I can make myself hear Brainstorm, Green Needle, Brain Needle and Green Storm if I picture the words before the sound starts.  I can't hear Yanni though, no matter how hard I think of the word.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 3856
    edited May 18

^ That’s what I hear too.

With the green needle / brainstorm thing I can only hear green needle or brain needle. I can’t hear brainstorm no matter how hard I try to. I suspect that the first syllable is actually something like grain or, perhaps,  breen. However, since you’ve already read the caption your brain is only expecting to hear either green or brain.
    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 10513
    I didn't hear either.

But then I didn't click on the video.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 1781

Only clicked for Katie Cassidy.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fatworld/images/0/07/Fatkc.JPG

Disappointed.

• DLMDLM Frets: 1781
    ICBM said:
    viz said:

This one is very interesting - listen to it with your eyes open, then with your eyes closed.

Eyes open - green needle. Eyes closed - brainstorm.

The light flashes three times - one long followed by two short - so if your eyes are open you think you hear three syllables, one long followed by two short. With your eyes closed you only hear two long ones.
    https://media.tenor.com/images/3cb7c857382507e5148109c33ed2b630/tenor.gif

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 8779
    HAL9000 said:

^ That’s what I hear too.

It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 1363

I hear "Yanni" with (reasonable) quality head phones on.

When a friend on mine's daughter played this on her mobile phone at the weekend I heard "Laurel". Presumably an iPhone has fairly restricted bandwidth.
    jpfamps said:

I hear "Yanni" with (reasonable) quality head phones on.

When a friend on mine's daughter played this on her mobile phone at the weekend I heard "Laurel". Presumably an iPhone has fairly restricted bandwidth.
    Yes, unless you lift it up and point the speaker straight into your ear - which is why I'm sure it's just a frequency effect. Same recording, same phone, the only difference is whether you can hear the highs.