Angriest song ever?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1331

Some of these suggestions IMHO are songs where the primary purpose is to shock rather than being the result of true anger, Bodies being a good example. Now't wrong with that - its been a fundamental part of RnR forever but not sure it is anger.

First song I thought of when I saw the thread title was Mississippi Goddam, by Nina Simone - the anger is somehow made more real by the juxtaposition of the jaunty show tune and the subject matter of the lyrics.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 730
    edited May 24
    Generally most Crass songs were pretty angry - “Sheep Farming In The Falklands” and it’s B side “Gotcha!” spring to mind as does “Do They Owe Us A Living” - of course they fuckin’ do!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 2516
    2Pac - Hit 'Em Up.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 1213
    Infantile, but "break stuff" by Limp Bizkit is pretty angry in a childish frustrated kind of way
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 4076
    usedtobe said:
    2Pac - Hit 'Em Up.
    Yes, fantastic track
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1041
    edited May 24
    The first song I thought of when I saw the thread title was Lennon and his attack on McCartney "How do you sleep?".... Genuine anger rather than the usual pseudo-intellectual, hypocrytical sixth-form bollocks he usually spouted during his solo career (still a bloody good songwriter though)

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1041
    edited May 24
    This as well from Neil Young, the saturated vocal take adds to vibe of injustice and anger...

• BillKatBillKat Frets: 1092

Anger doesn't have to be loud, sometimes more powerful when held back -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 76
    Still There'll Be More - Procol Harum. Might not sound like an angry song, but someone must have pissed Keith Reid & Gary Brooker off when they wrote this one!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 601
    Pantera - pretty much anything past CFH! The great southern trendkill has some seriously pissed off sounding songs on it.
    Frank Carter/Gallows.
    Mastodon - Blasteroid

• BucketBucket Frets: 7607
    There is no way Strapping Young Lad can be left out of this.

Any number of letlive songs could make the cut, but this one is particularly vicious:

Then, of course, there's Lamb of God, fronted by Randy Blythe, the World's Angriest Man - makes Phil Anselmo look like a girl scout.

And now for something completely different:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 1687
    Maybe it's a generational thing but I never thought of Pantera as being heavy or aggressive. Same with Lamb Of God.

edited May 28
    Lamb of God are awful, not really that angry at all - just overproduced click-track metal imo.
  • LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 102
    Nails - You will never be one of us:

edited May 28
    Yeah, Nails or the now sadly no longer with us Trap Them - their best track Fucking Viva is very narked sounding indeed 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaA34NAnHSo
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1278
    Martin Carthy's 'Company Policy' does it quite subtly.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 615
    heard this for the first time last week.... catchy

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 1004
    Ice Mothafuckin T just wants his ham sammich and kool aid!

• jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 309
    Actually the whole of 'Imprint' by vision of disorder is about as angry as you can get. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 1658

Angry as fuck but so subtle

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 1658

Again, angry as fuck and slightly less subtle.  Take it all in.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • valevale Frets: 1036
    edited June 2
    there's an anti-nowhere league song (heard once & more than enough) called 'woman' that is vile, hence not reposting it here. but if you know it, you will know what a horrible thing it is. not sure if they were trying to be 'ironic' but fails miserably on those terms for me.

so that scores twice 'angry' (misogynist hate) & 'angry-making' for any woman who hears it.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7022
    Bucket said:

Then, of course, there's Lamb of God, fronted by Randy Blythe, the World's Angriest Man - makes Phil Anselmo look like a girl scout.
    You’re kidding right?

Anselmo’s vocals were incredible in his prime. Blythe is cool but a lot of that sound is in the effects, delivery wise he’s not massively different and certainly doesn’t make Anselmo sound like a Girl Scout...

https://youtu.be/x5n8ClCHNag

https://youtu.be/DvoP906H9CM
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 1582
    edited June 3
    Alanis Morissette -You oughta know
    Shania Twain- That don’t impress me much 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 601
    Reverend said:
    Maybe it's a generational thing but I never thought of Pantera as being heavy or aggressive. Same with Lamb Of God.

There's just something about Pantera that works for me and sounds heavier than anything else (post CFH which is a bit lightweight I guess). I think it's mainly the riffs that have groove combined with Phil's attitude that make it work. Dimes aggressive tone works as well, I don't think it'd have anywhere near the same attitude with a big modern metal tone. Stuff that other people seem to think sounds heavy (super low tuned, blastbeats squealling pig vocals etc) does absolutely nothing for me because it's got no groove or attitude.

Never really got into LoG, other than Redneck I found them a bit boring to listen to.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 526
    I don't really do angry all that much, and anger manifests itself in different ways to different people so expression is variable, but this one came to mind, although I think there's a deeper message buried somewhere.  I don't care (no pun intended) for the lyrical content very much but musically I find it quite interesting. 

There's also a lot of angst brewing here which I always felt was very well done.

Although I doubt either the above could be accused of the angriest song ever TBH.
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 181
    rlw said:

Angry as fuck but so subtle

Agree with that and coincidentally I just bought it in vinyl. 

Slightly tongue in cheek: BEN Folds Five - song for the dumped

”Give me my money back, you bitch”

angry and funny at the same time
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1314
    tone1 said:
    Alanis Morissette -You oughta know
    Shania Twain- That don’t impress me much 
    If I was Brad Pitt, I’d write a song called “Shania Twain doesn’t impress me much either, the stupid bint”...