I need a special cable and...

RockerRocker Frets: 4942
..it seems the only option is to buy from an online supplier.  Now that Maplins are gone.  The cable is a ¼" stereo jack to two phono plugs.  A bog standard cable, even the jack plug adaptor with two female phono plugs on it would suffice.  The type of cable/adaptor that was always to be found in Maplins.  But as I said, Maplins are gone.

A lot of online sellers won't post to a ROI address - no idea why but that is how it is.  So I use the Parcel Motel system in Northern Ireland to bypass this restriction.  Northern Ireland is still part of the UK.  But batteries are excluded, seemingly being considered explosive items.  But Parcel Motel is another charge on top of the price of the item and the collection depot is a half hour drive from our house.  Even if the supplier posted the item to me, I end up paying post and packaging costs.  So a 'cheap' item from an online supplier ends up costing a fair bit more when I finally get it into my hands.

Much easier to walk into a store like Maplins and buy the item there.  Except that they are not there now.  And this is progress?????
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Try this crowd:
    https://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html

excellent quality and cheap as chips
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    I agree. I have loads of cables that I bought from Maplins... needed a 3.5mm stereo jack to 2 phono? Or a 3.5mm stereo jack to two mono 6.35mm jacks? Ten minute walk to Maplins, job done. No waiting for three days, followed by a drive down to the sorting office (or even worse, some obscure industrial estate in search of a courier’s office).
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Well, if you buy things from Amazon you can have them delivered to your local supermarket.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..."
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    If you’re in ROI, have you tried X Music or Sound Shop? Both would usually stock that cable. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Thanks for your reply @rossyamaha, the Sound Shop is in Drogheda, I will give them a call. XMusic has two places in Dublin, they were on my list of places to try for this cable.

But my point is that there is nowhere to wander into and browse for things like cables and adaptors now that Maplins are gone.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    edited May 2018
    I think I have one, if you’re still looking?
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..."
    You can't always git what you wa-ant.