50'S Wiring.

jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
Hi All, does 50's wiring only apply to humbuckers?  or can i apply it to a P90 goldtop?

Best Wishes.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Yes you can
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Thank you kind Sir.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    You can apply it to almost any guitar, even ones that were never wired that way in the 1950s.

All it means is that the tone control is connected to the output (to amp) side of the volume pot, instead of the input (pickup) side.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2018
    Thanks ICBM, So  ican just move the capacitor over to the middle lug of the tone control?

• Its great with P90s- 50s wiring transformed my old LP Jr- made the tone pot really versatile & eliminated all trace of mud. 
    Thanks ICBM, So  ican just move the capacitor over to the middle lug of the tone control?
    No, on the volume control. The tone control wiring doesn’t need to be changed, even though Gibson did wire them slightly differently.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks, looks like it is already 50's wiring. The cap is connected to the middle lug of the volume and to the left of the tone controls.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Its great with P90s- 50s wiring transformed my old LP Jr- made the tone pot really versatile & eliminated all trace of mud. 
    This ^ 

And it’s also great on telecasters. 
  • mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
    And on strats. I even used it on a Steinberger!
    I did it on my PRS as I really didn't like the way the treble bypass changed the tone.
    normula1 said:
    I did it on my PRS as I really didn't like the way the treble bypass changed the tone.
    50s wiring and treble-pass don't work well together.

Nor do any combination of them with 'backwards' (Rickenbacker, many far-east Gibson copies, and some other) wiring where the pickup is connected to the rotor of the pot and the output to the top of the track. The only exception I can think of is the Jazz Bass, which has the tone control connected to the jack and backward-wired volume controls, but it's a bass so treble retention is not really the issue...

I didn't have both at tge same time, just removed the treble pass cap (stuck it in a bag in the case) and moved the tone cap wire across