Vox style amp with reverb - good for bedroom and stage?

What's Hot
hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
edited May 2018 in Amps
At the moment ive got a vox ac15 handwired and i love the sound. Now that I've added master volume and power scaling, I can get nice chime in the bedroom which only gets better on stage. It's loads nicer that The ac15c1 I used to have (could be the speaker, or the transformer, I dunno). The things that aren't ideal about the amp:

- the weight (50lb) and size. I've got a lot of narrow stairs to schlep up and and down
- no reverb  (effects loop would probably do)

Any suggestions as to what might float my boat? Something that sounds good in the bedroom and small gigs - 15w is usually enough  

Production models or custom builders considered.  Budget up to £1000.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AnacharsisAnacharsis Frets: 200
    Can't hurt to try the Roland Blues Cube Hot British EL84 Modified. I really like mine, and it has 30, 15, 5, and 0.5W settings. It's a small, open back 1x12" combo, under 30lb, and has reverb (no loop, though).
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8188
    I have the HW15 too. Absolutely love it.
    Think you'd regret it if you sell it! 
    Got a Keeley Caverns to sort the reverb issue.

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
    Hattigol said:

But it'll sound rubbish in front of a slightly driven amp, won't it?
    Hattigol said:
    Think you'd regret it if you sell it.

Plus - there's the weight issue.
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    Hattigol said:

No, this is basically my setup, albeit with a Hardwire RV-7 and an AC-30. Just develop arm muscles. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Just develop arm muscles. 
    That had crossed my mind!
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Don't know how wedded you are to a combo rather than a head+cab, but the latest head versions in the Vox Custom series (AC15CH and AC30CH) both come with built-in attenuators, and the 30 has an effects loop, too.  I've got the AC15CH, and like it a lot, but never had a chance to directly compare to a handwired version.  It weighs a bit over 30lb.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    I find AC15 style amps with reverb distort too much at the power stage to sound good at loud volumes. It might be easier getting more watts to sound better at lower volume at home. I think an AC30 sounds better at all levels than an AC15 too.
    Can’t recommend anything light though as I’ve not tried enough small amps
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    Put a reverb in front and job done. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    It's a shame your budget doesn't extend to this (I also have the head version up for sale).

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113379/fs-ft-divided-by-13-jrt-9-15-combo-fender-and-vox-all-in-one-box-youtube-demo-added#latest

Kebabkid said:
    It's a shame your budget doesn't extend to this

It IS a shame!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    If you want cheap & small (and can mic up at gigs) then a Laney VC15 ticks all the boxes. Not quite the same glorious chime as a bonafide AC15, but a great little box. 

Or at the other end of the scale, look for a used Badcat Cub 15R. They're not lighter than your AC15 but decent master volume and good reverb. Or get a head and a lightweight cab to split the load into 2 trips, maybe?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    If you want cheap & small (and can mic up at gigs) then a Laney VC15 ticks all the boxes. Not quite the same glorious chime as a bonafide AC15, but a great little box. 

Agreed, I have a VC15 combo and it is so good for a small beastie. Has the effects loop & a nice reverb. Sounds great clean and dirty. 10" speaker only drawback. Great for home but the 10" speaker may need help playing out...does have speaker out and it is well in your budget..probably £200/£250
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    Laney VC series are insane value for the money. Got a 112 VC30 for sale atm as i'm moving away from the country for a while. Cheapest and best tube amp i've had, quite small ( AC15 C1 kind of size) but way more powerfull and fuller sounding.
    Hattigol said:

No. It sounds great IMHO.
    Can't help you with the weight issue though - although Pure Gym have no joining fee at the moment....!
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Kebabkid said:
    Really interesting amps. Not familiar with them at all and just been checking out reviews/YouTube videos.

When I saw the two volume controls, I assumed one would be for the EL84 channel and one for the 6V6. That, to me, would make more sense and would presumably (?) have been possible. That way, you could effectively create the sound of two distinct and differently powered amps.

Now THAT would tempt me....
    The Laney amps are nice - I used to have a VC30. Not really a patch on the handwired vox (mine's the H1TV) though.

I've got a boss reverb, the results of which with this amp I was never too impressed with. I'll give it another go.

But really, guys, there's been a distinct lack of people trying to tempt me with shiny expensive boutique amps. You disappoint me ;-)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    I said Bad Cat! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    What about the blackstar artist/an those are supposed to be rather good.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    DrJazzTap said:
    What about the blackstar artist/an those are supposed to be rather good.
    Well made but very heavy and don't sound like a Vox.

If you can afford it and find one, I would suggest a Matchless Lightning Reverb. I can't remember exactly how much they weigh, but the one I played was by far the lightest Matchless I've ever lifted, and also easily the most Voxy-sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein