UPDATE: Not enough wallop: Processing power for making music

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ijontyijonty Frets: 28
    I felt I should come back here to say: blimey, Reaper's good, isn't it? Thanks to all who told me to try it!

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3402
    All of the boring model specification information is readily available by clicking on the Apple symbol at the top left of the monitor screen. First option on the menu, About This Mac.

Based on the incomplete information in the opening post, I reckon that the offending MacBook Air is a Mid-2012 example. The iLife software bundled with a Mac of that date would have included Garageband 6. Its system requirements appear to be;
    • Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later. (El Capitan is OS 10.11)
    • Hardware: Mac system with Intel® Core 2 Duo processor. 2 GB of RAM (required for Mac OS X 10.7) 1.5 GB of available hard disk space. Internet connection required for LiveUpdate.

The current revision is Garageband 10. Its system requirements are;
    • Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor.
    • Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or later.
    • 2GB of RAM (as defined by the Mac OS X Mavericks minimum requirements)
    • 1280 x 800 screen resolution.
    The OP's MBA should be able to support GB10. More than 4GB of RAM would help but the machine can probably get by as is. 

There remains the question of the audio in/out interface device and its settings within Garageband. 

"It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 13
    I think , now the OP has experienced Reaper, there will be no more hardware related problems.
    It has become apparent to me that Apples model of forcing an upgrade path has reached the point where it is self defeating. Eg, by making Garageband  and Logic so similar, they force casual users to have to use bloated software, and thus the need for more power-more storage.
    The experience of downloading Reapers 16 Mb install, which extracts to around 70 Mb, and then seeing that it can do everything that Logic can do ( allowing for Logics included synths and samples ), made the decision of where to spend my recording and mixing time, I'd rather not be OS dependant on my music software either.