Orange 30 watt amps - what’s the pick?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Currently considering a 30 watt Orange - primarily the Dual Terror, Rocker 30, TH30 and AD30. 

What at is your pick and why? Anything I’m missing?

I play stoner/heavy stuff with humbuckers and looking for a head only. 

Cheers! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Rocker 30. Because it sounds the best, by far.

It’s the only one that doesn’t have that over-compressed EL84 sound, for the simple reason that it doesn’t use EL84s :).

The guitarist in my band uses one, with humbuckers and fuzz and boost pedals, through a Marshall 2061 2x12”... it sounds great.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    ICBM said:
    Rocker 30. Because it sounds the best, by far.

It’s the only one that doesn’t have that over-compressed EL84 sound, for the simple reason that it doesn’t use EL84s :).

The guitarist in my band uses one, with humbuckers and fuzz and boost pedals, through a Marshall 2061 2x12”... it sounds great.
    Thanks IC - is it a weighty beast? Any known faults? 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I prefer the single channel AD30 they just sound cooler than any of the others. 
    rico said:

Thanks IC - is it a weighty beast? Any known faults? 
    It’s reasonably heavy, but still easy to carry compared to something like a Marshall head.

I’ve never seen a single faulty one, for anything other than a blown power valve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Any idea of the weight @ICBM ? My Matamp is about 25kg...
    rico said:
    Don’t know, but I may be able to weigh one tomorrow :).

edited May 2018
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    Don’t know, but I may be able to weigh one tomorrow .
    That would be bloody great. Ask him what he’d take for it it ;)
    rico said:

That would be bloody great. Ask him what he’d take for it it ;)
    Not for sale :). You should be able to pick one up fairly easily for around £350 I think.

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The Rocker 30 head is around 14kg and the combo is around 24kg.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PowerslavePowerslave Frets: 98
    ICBM speaks great sense - the Rocker 30 is a great, great amp.

Should be perfect for your style of music, although you may find it tricky to boost if you're pushing the pre-amp gain hard (an EQ pedal is the common solution to this issue). More so if you're having to constrain the power amp.

It's a great sound, and a great build - shame they don't still build them.
    ICBM speaks great sense - the Rocker 30 is a great, great amp.

Should be perfect for your style of music, although you may find it tricky to boost if you're pushing the pre-amp gain hard (an EQ pedal is the common solution to this issue). More so if you're having to constrain the power amp.

It's a great sound, and a great build - shame they don't still build them.
    I’m on the hunt!
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    I've got the dual terror and love it for its simplicity, I would say both channels are almost identical to me but I like that as I don't really use clean! Would love to try a rocker 30 but also really liked the th30 I had for a while 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I didn’t like the rocker 30 as it was very mid focused and I found it a bit flubby, I moved across to Mesas and was much happier, however now I have the Dual Dark 50 and its much more versatile than the Rocker but it’ll cost more. 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    I borrowed a rocker 30, they're great. I want one.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I've got the dual terror and love it for its simplicity, I would say both channels are almost identical to me but I like that as I don't really use clean! Would love to try a rocker 30 but also really liked the th30 I had for a while 
    What's it like as a pedal platform?  I'm getting a bit old for my Blackstar Artisan 30
  • jeztone2 said:

What's it like as a pedal platform?  I'm getting a bit old for my Blackstar Artisan 30
    The Rocker 30?  If you mean as a completely clean amp like people would use a big Fender, then probably not that good.  I use a R30 and love it, but the "clean" (natural) channel doesn't stay completely clean at gig volume.  Sounds great with fuzz pedals and the like, and if you like a slightly hairy clean sound, but If you need it to be loud and clean just to amplify the pedal sound you might find it's not got enough headroom.
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    jeztone2 said:
    Its pretty good for a pedal platform, I use a OCD in the front end to push and it sounds massive. I also use a phaser, chorus and delay all front end to good effect, granted it would be better through a loop but the amp does not have that so I just make do. I set both channels slightly different and use one as slight crunch and the other as full gain sound. I don't really do lead parts but the effects help it cut through when I do little melody parts live. To be honest this has become my perfect touring amp as its small, reliable and I don't have to mess around with knobs to much to get the sounds I want and can use live, essential when you have 15 minute change overs and small sound checks.