NAD - Bassman reissue

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5596
An inadvertent new amp day yesterday as I made a very cheeky offer that got accepted. 

I always wanted one of these and it sounds great despite it’s obvious used condition, but in all honesty it isn’t all that bad to look at. 

I just wish I had a reason to need it lol. 

https://i.imgur.com/d9zCGW9.jpg

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    Cannot go wrong with one of those. Congrats on the new amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    Cannot go wrong with one of those. Congrats on the new amp.
    Thank you bud. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71961
    Does it have the valve rectifier, or the solid-state plug-in? Or is that why you were asking? ;)

If it has the solid-state, a valve is definitely worth getting - it gives the amp noticeably softer, more 'bouncy' dynamics and (slightly) less volume. The types you can use are the GZ34, 5R4 and (probably, you should get away with it) the 5V4.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited May 2018
    ICBM said:
    Does it have the valve rectifier, or the solid-state plug-in? Or is that why you were asking?

If it has the solid-state, a valve is definitely worth getting - it gives the amp noticeably softer, more 'bouncy' dynamics and (slightly) less volume. The types you can use are the GZ34, 5R4 and (probably, you should get away with it) the 5V4.
    Yeah, that’s kinda why I was asking. Damn I feel sheepish now lol.

Edit: although, I was genuinely interested too. ;)

Currently it has the SS rectifier. I was looking at the TAD GZ34/5AR4 from hotrox. TAD stuff is usually good IME and the price is good too. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71961
    Yes, start with the TAD GZ34. JJs are also good, but avoid Sovtek. (I would go direct to TAD, though.)

If that doesn't give you enough compression, then maybe think about one of the other types - which as far as I know you can only get NOS, although they're not that expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Yes, start with the TAD GZ34. JJs are also good, but avoid Sovtek. (I would go direct to TAD, though.)

If that doesn't give you enough compression, then maybe think about one of the other types - which as far as I know you can only get NOS, although they're not that expensive.
    Thanks.  I have the TAD GZ34 on order and will see how that goes.  

I had the back off the amp this morning and couldn't see a trim-pot to adjust the bias - is it fixed/self biasing on these amps or do you have to change resistor values to bias it correctly?

I've been playing around with the amp a bit more this morning and even with the SS rectifier it sounds huge.  I hadn't experimented with blending the channels until today and I can easily see how this is a very useful idea.

The amp sounds very warm even as low as 2 on the output (bearing in mind it goes to 12, which is one more than 11, Nigel) and from about 3 you can hear it come alive in a good way.  There are the beginnings of break up from about 4, it's not really distorted but is just sounds much more alive, warm and musical, and the sustain seems to increase - it's hard to describe but it sounds "fluid" if that makes any sense?  From 5 there's definitely some break up and there are some very sweet tones in this area.  This is both channels blended on the same or similar output settings.

Mind you, I haven't used a pick with the guitar yet so that will change the dynamics quite a bit.  I daren't turn it up louder than I have since the pictures are dancing on the walls already at this volume.

Rolling off the volume of the bright channel is a great way to stop it sounding ice-picky without killing the brightness and making it sound boxy or boomy.

Bass response is huge too, even with it rolled nearly all the way off it just has plenty of low end to the tone, but then I guess it's in the name, lol.

Still, I'm looking forward to seeing what a tube rectifier will do to the tone.  To be honest, at these volumes I'm not expecting anything dramatic, if it's noticeable at all.  I don't know how true it is but I was once told that tube rectifiers either work or they don't, the sag effect being a side effect of them working hard.