Orange Amp predicament - What will compliment Root Terror

What's Hot
xRandomregxRandomreg Frets: 231
edited May 2018 in Amps
Hi All
Just got a Root #4 Terror and I like it a lot

I have got the bug for Orange and wonder what you guys think might compliment the Root from the Orange Range

I am happy to go for any size head, but would prefer something with Attenuator or Low wattage option

I play mostly AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Guns & Roses Stuff just for phone at home, no gigging needs

Thanks for any Wisdom

Andrew
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6128
    edited May 2018 tFB Trader
    Randomreg said:
    Hi All
    Just got a Root #4 Terror and I like it a lot

I have got the bug for Orange and wonder what you guys think might compliment the Root from the Orange Range

I am happy to go for any size head, but would prefer something with Attenuator or Low wattage option

I play mostly AC/DC, Iron Maiden and Guns & Roses Stuff just for phone at home, no gigging needs

Thanks for any Wisdom

Andrew
    i have the new Brent Hinds terror... its ace !! do that!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • xRandomregxRandomreg Frets: 231
    A friend of mine has just got that too and it does seem a good option - I could add an ABY switch for 3 channels of Orange Goodness
    Thanks Adrian
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I concur.

Brent Hinds 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    The guitarist in my band has just got a Brent Hinds Terror for when his Rocker 30 is too loud or heavy - it's essentially a Rocker 30 preamp with a Tiny Terror output section.

As stock, the dirty channel is *very* bright at lower gain settings - I had a look and quickly spotted that the bright cap on the gain control is ten times the value on the Rocker!

Not now it isn't :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thats interesting
    Adrian, Dan - have you noticed this?

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I'm around 11 o clock on the gain. 

Don't know of that's higher or lower than what @ICBM was using.
    DanR said:
    I'm around 11 o clock on the gain. 

Don't know of that's higher or lower than what @ICBM was using.
    It should be noticeably very bright like that, much brighter than the clean channel to the point the treble control needed to be nearly all the way off. You may like that, or you may not...

Replacing the cap requires commitment. Unless you want to take the whole PCB out - which looks like a pretty big job, I didn't feel it was justified - because it completely covers its own solder pads, the only way to remove the old cap is to destroy it with a pair of cutters, then unsolder what's left of the pins. I fitted a small cap with much longer legs to replace it, which was a lot easier.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The guitarist in my band has just got a Brent Hinds Terror for when his Rocker 30 is too loud or heavy - it's essentially a Rocker 30 preamp with a Tiny Terror output section.

As stock, the dirty channel is *very* bright at lower gain settings - I had a look and quickly spotted that the bright cap on the gain control is ten times the value on the Rocker!

Not now it isn't :).
    mine isn't that bright. what value did you find? Ill open mine up tomorrow.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1nF - I replaced it with a 100pF.

C4, from memory - should be easy to spot.

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    1nF - I replaced it with a 100pF.

C4, from memory - should be easy to spot.
    Thanks, I’ll do this tomorrow 
    So - no Brent Hinds for me then - I don't do Electrical stuff - end up electrocuting myself
    There’s always the standard Rocker 15 Terror - although in the video on the Orange website it sounds very muddy compared to the Brent Hinds. (More than just the difference from that cap.) but some people seem to like that...

I’m looking at at rockerverb 3 as well and have just stuck a bid in on a dual dark 50 - 
    been listening to demos of the rocker 15 but doesn’t sound as tight as root - but I guess in that case it would be complimentary
    tFB Trader

I am a big Orange amps fan...

I have the:

Rocker 15 (own) -not muddy but definitely not as tight as the root. btw
    Rocker 30 (borrowed)
    Brent Hinds Terror - ace
    Rockerverb MKIII- favourite filthy amp. the attenuator in it is a work of genius.

C4 in my Brent Hinds is a 1nf but the amp is not too bright at lower gain settings to my ears.

Randomreg said:
    I’m looking at at rockerverb 3 as well and have just stuck a bid in on a dual dark 50 - 
    been listening to demos of the rocker 15 but doesn’t sound as tight as root - but I guess in that case it would be complimentary

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325

I'd like to add the Rocker Terror 15 or BH Terror to my Dual Terror as a different flavour....

Thanks Adrian - I need a facilitator to persuade me to buy a RV3
    Brent Hinds winging it's way to me Wednesday - But I am still yearning for a DD or RV3 as I always like the feel of the big amps and have space to use one - also gonna grab a dark terror - I have gone Orange mad!!!