SOLO: just saw it!

What's Hot

Comments

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324

Sounds good to me! Plus Lando is one of my favourite characters.

Then there is the added bonus of Emilia.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Does this mean it’s not going to win solo of the month?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6776
    Taking my 9 year old to see it on Monday....we’re both jolly excited!

Its a fictional film about spaceships and has lazers - its going to be great! Im looking forward to it as well.

Some people get too wound up about their entertainment! 

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Like others, I was a huge Star Wars fan until TLJ swooped in with its brazen hand and killed it. So yeah, I’ll be giving Solo a miss - after the last travesty I’m not sure I want to risk my earned on what could be another

It's a shame how TLJ has single-handedly divided an entire fan base, causing a rift that gives grounds not to see future films. Normally I would get excited about Star Wars, but right now, the announcement of such is mix of apathy and sadness. Paving the way for a new generation is one thing, but at least have the decency to respect the generation before it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    @beed84, solo might reawaken your feelings about all things sw. it’s more an adventure than anything else, a companion piece to rogue one albeit lighter.  
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    lukedlb said:
    I took my six year old and he enjoyed it although he said it was a little long.
    I've not tried taking my 7yo into anything over than a PG, isn't this 12A and do cinema staff not really care?

Definitely not a dig at your parenting, rather I've already told her she'll have to wait for the DVD to come out and now I'm wondering if I can get away with the cinema after all ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Under 12s can go see 12A films if they're with an adult 
    http://www.cbbfc.co.uk/12
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    lukedlb said:
    I took my six year old and he enjoyed it although he said it was a little long.
    I've not tried taking my 7yo into anything over than a PG, isn't this 12A and do cinema staff not really care?

Definitely not a dig at your parenting, rather I've already told her she'll have to wait for the DVD to come out and now I'm wondering if I can get away with the cinema after all ...

The BBFC's website says:

Films classified 12A and video works classified 12 contain material that is not generally suitable for children aged under 12. No one younger than 12 may see a 12A film in a cinema unless accompanied by an adult. Adults planning to take a child under 12 to view a 12A film should consider whether the film is suitable for that child. To help them decide, we recommend that they check the BBFCinsight for that film in advance. No one younger than 12 may rent or buy a 12 rated video work.

So the cinema staff have no basis to prevent you from taking a younger child in to a 12A screening, but the onus is on you to decide whether your child can handle what's in the film. 

The BBFC's "insight" reviews are geared towards parents in exactly your situation. They're occasionally a bit spoilery (this one isn't).

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/solo-star-wars-story-2018

IMO, the BBFC do a very good job of being transparent about the decisions they make.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

shuikit said:
    Under 12s can go see 12A films if they're with an adult 
    http://www.cbbfc.co.uk/12

I see, not been in this situation before

The BBFC's "insight" reviews are geared towards parents in exactly your situation. They're occasionally a bit spoilery (this one isn't).

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/solo-star-wars-story-2018

IMO, the BBFC do a very good job of being transparent about the decisions they make.

Useful, thanks @english_bob ;

Next question can I tolerate missing half the film due to the numerous toilet breaks!
    shuikit said:
    I like their childrens' website better than the adult one- loads of useful insight in to what they do and why, and the tone is only a little bit patronizing for an adult reader. 

paganskins said:

Next question can I tolerate missing half the film due to the numerous toilet breaks!
    Well, if you're going to be a really responsible parent, you'd have to go and see it first to make absolutely sure you're not going to traumatize your daughter. Due dilligence, innit?

paganskins said:

Well, if you're going to be a really responsible parent, you'd have to go and see it first to make absolutely sure you're not going to traumatize your daughter. Due dilligence, innit?
    Was already planning to ;) and/or including her mother in the trip to do the pit stops
    Seen it! Great fun film. Go see it. Darker than 7 and 8....

Not as good as the amazing Rogue One, but it feels new, clever and despite the obvious, feels ‘original’.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6988
    Samgb said:
    but...the simple fact is that all the books which they've now written off as non-canon were actually vastly better than anything that they've produced since 1983.
    This. Basically George Lucas had too much power over the studios when the prequels were being developed and nobody told him to just shut the fuck up and make the Thrawn Trilogy as straight sequels set a few years after ROTJ. Would have been fantastic and based on a much more believable outcome after the collapse of the Empire.
    And then the Knights of The Old Republic stuff would have been superb material. 

That's what the prequels were missing - someone with the power to say "Sorry George, the Jamaican frog dude belongs on the cutting room floor".

Watching the 'Making of Phantom Menace' is like a car crash in slow motion - George Lucas happily pointing at storyboards and saying "This scene will be real... this one not so real..." while the production crew stand around silently and wonder which of them is going to have to explain to George how badly he's shat the bed on this one.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    lukedlb said:
    @beed84, solo might reawaken your feelings about all things sw. it’s more an adventure than anything else, a companion piece to rogue one albeit lighter.  
    Hmmm, I dunno. I’ll no doubt watch it, but it’ll be on DVD and I’ll borrow it off someone at that.
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 455
    Can't believe Jar Jar turned up..
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    I'm having a nightmare with these blockbusters, maybe I expect too much from them.  I've found SW:TFA to be a bit blah, but the Rogue One to be awesome.  I expected the franchise to be back on track, but SW:TLJ was a bit blah too.  I don't know if I want to see Solo as it may be like the main stuff of recent, or it could be awesome like Rogue One.

Saying that, I thought that Infinity War was a bit meh too.  There were a lot of explosions and witty remarks, but it just seamed a bit of lets shoehorn everything we can in at once.
    I'm having a nightmare with these blockbusters, maybe I expect too much from them.  I've found SW:TFA to be a bit blah, but the Rogue One to be awesome.  I expected the franchise to be back on track, but SW:TLJ was a bit blah too.  I don't know if I want to see Solo as it may be like the main stuff of recent, or it could be awesome like Rogue One.

Saying that, I thought that Infinity War was a bit meh too.  There were a lot of explosions and witty remarks, but it just seamed a bit of lets shoehorn everything we can in at once.

Solo is closer to the feel of Rogue One than VII and VIII, in that it is a little darker, a little different, etc.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Just got back and found it very enjoyable indeed.  Could have done with more Millennium Falcon for me, but them most things could.   I do wonder if Warwick Davis has a deal to be in every film.  

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    Does this mean it’s not going to win solo of the month?
    How did everyone miss that zinger?

Lol from me!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...