Do I need Clean Boost or Overdrive? (Now a NPD!)

What's Hot
DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3821
edited May 2018 in FX

So I've just recently upgraded my amp to a Roland Blues Cube Artist. Loving it so far, sounds fan-freaking-tastic!

However, I'm not really a pedal guy. I own a multi-fx to use when I go to rehearsal rooms and use other amps, but I never bother actually using it my own rig. I just use channel switching, and control levels/gain with the guitar volume. I'm feeling like I might need a little something extra for solo-boosts to cut through in a band mix, so am considering buying something cheap and cheerful just to give me a little more oomph when needed. I'm not really into high gain stuff, so don't need massive amounts of grunt on tap.

I've been looking at boosts, but I'm confused as to whether a clean boost would be the right choice, as it seems to be from doing a bit of Google-Fu that you can get a similar effect with a low-mid gain OD pedal with the level cranked and the gain rolled right back. Plus there would then be the option to get more traditional OD sounds if/when I felt like it.

Am I right in thinking that an OD would essentially give me the same effect as a clean boost but with more potential variety, or am I missing something? Should I also be considering an EQ pedal like the GE-7 as another alternative?

BTW - budget wise I'm looking for something on the cheap, so am looking at things like the Joyo pedals, or something like else 2nd hand like a Blackstar LT Boost.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you are running the amp cleanish and not at full tilt then an overdrive of some sort would do the trick to get you a bit louder and if required a bit dirtier
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    It's a big rabbit hole.

I don't think it's uncommon to find very straightforward clean boosts a little harsh, some level of eq or something designed to filter your tone a bit ( like an Xotic EP Booster or various Echo Plex pre amp style pedals) probably works out better. 

OD pedals have their own sound so simply having them on changes your tone and you might not want that. So you might want to be looking at 'transparent overdrives.'*The EHX Soul Food is the obvious, well regarded,  more budget friendly option. You should be able to dial it in so that you can hardly tell it is on at all and then adjust level, tone and gain to taste. If, for example, you used a tube screamer based OD instead even at unity gain you might hear how it's inherent eq curve changes your basic sound. 
    The Tone City Bad Horse is the cheapest Klon(e) ( and therefore meant to be transparent) I know of although I've no sense of how good it actually is. 

* You can Google this for about a thousand definitions and examples.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    If you are running the amp cleanish and not at full tilt then an overdrive of some sort would do the trick to get you a bit louder and if required a bit dirtier
    Cool, thanks for that. 

Any recommendations for a £40-ish pedal? I've been thinking about the Joyo Sweet Honey /Vintage OD or TC Electronic Rush bought new, or a Blackstar LT boost 2nd hand. Anyone got experience with any of them?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    I'd go for a clean boost for the Roland... for example, I used the TC Mini Spark for mine which was neutral and superb. It just made the base sound 'louder', if that's what you want.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited May 2018
    I personally prefer a big volume boost with little extra hair on it.  It feels like you get more compression that way, and also it is more adaptable if your overall gain structure changes for some reason.  As stated above you will tend to trade off some transparency with an OD.

Would a Mooer flex boost do the job in your price range? http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201410161127.html

Edit: 2nd hand I can definitely recommend a Boss OD3, amazing pedal
  • roberty said:
    I personally prefer a big volume boost with little extra hair on it.  It feels like you get more compression that way, and also it is more adaptable if your overall gain structure changes for some reason.  As stated above you will tend to trade off some transparency with an OD.

Would a Mooer flex boost do the job in your price range? http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201410161127.html

Edit: 2nd hand I can definitely recommend a Boss OD3, amazing pedal
    Yeah that would fit the bill price wise, but would rather have something I could power with a battery, as I don't fancy faffing on with a power supply for the sake of one little pedal! 

Hence why the joyo range appeals to my inner laziness...
    Boss pedals run on batteries too, they last ages as long as you remember to disconnect the input when you're not using it.

With overdrives there are so many to choose from and everyone has an opinion on what's 'best'  Cant go wrong with a Boss SD-1 in my opinion :) but you should get what you want out of either of the Joyo's you mentioned, but the Blackstar doesnt have a separate drive & volume so that will limit the versatility, although I've never used one so cant comment on how good it sounds. 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I use a GE-7 for exactly this. Clean or tweaked boost, lots of variety possible. Doesn't stamp it's own sound on what you hear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    edited May 2018
    Get something that boosts the mids slightly if you want to cut through the mix for a solo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    It’s difficult at the 40-50 price point. The usual options: EP Booster, Timmy, Soul Food, etc. Are all around the 80 mark 2nd hand.
    Frizer said:
    It’s difficult at the 40-50 price point. The usual options: EP Booster, Timmy, Soul Food, etc. Are all around the 80 mark 2nd hand.
    The Mosky XP booster sounds just like the EP for less than £20 new, but I think for what he's looking for an overdrive pedal is a better option
  • clarkefan said:
    I use a GE-7 for exactly this. Clean or tweaked boost, lots of variety possible. Doesn't stamp it's own sound on what you hear.
    Yes, I know someone who swears by his, and it does sound pretty good. Bit out of my budget though unfortunately from what I can see - I'm looking at £30-£40 max.

Anyone tried any of the budget EQ pedals around, like the Behringer knock of version, or the Danelectro Fish n Chips? The latter looks supercool, but wonder if it's suspiciously cheap?! 
    clarkefan said:
    Yes, I know someone who swears by his, and it does sound pretty good. Bit out of my budget though unfortunately from what I can see - I'm looking at £30-£40 max.

Anyone tried any of the budget EQ pedals around, like the Behringer knock of version, or the Danelectro Fish n Chips? The latter looks supercool, but wonder if it's suspiciously cheap?! 
    Both rubbish IMO
  • John_A said:
    clarkefan said:

Both rubbish IMO
    Bugger, that's what I'd feared! 

Quite tempted by the look of the new-ish TC Electronic '''Smorgasbord of Tones" range; they seem budget friendly but very sturdy looking, and with a 3 year guarantee.

The Cinders OD and the Rush Boost seem to be the most fitting for what I'm after, but not seen much in the way of reviews on T'interwebs...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/overdrive-pedals/tc-electronic-cinders-overdrive

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-pedals/boost-pedals/tc-electronic-rush-booster
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254

I use a Biyang 7 band eq, took a punt on it as it was cheap, wasn't expecting much but its actually pretty good. No unwanted noise, responsive controls and its been on my board (and gigged heavily) for about 18 months now. 
  • Well, thanks for the opinions and advice here folks, much appreciated!  :)

I'm off to meet with someone from a local FB group to potentially buy a Boss GE-7 for the princely sum of £25! Seems like too good of a bargain to pass up, so will see how I get on with that for now, in the knowledge that I probably won't lose any money if I want to flip it. 
  • John_A said:
    Cool, thanks for that. 

Any recommendations for a £40-ish pedal? I've been thinking about the Joyo Sweet Honey /Vintage OD or TC Electronic Rush bought new, or a Blackstar LT boost 2nd hand. Anyone got experience with any of them?
    I have a Joyo Sweet Baby or whatever its called. Great low gain overdrive, very easy to get a great sound. Also works great as a clean boost with the gain dialled back.
  • John_A said:
    Cool, thanks for that. 

I have a Joyo Sweet Baby or whatever its called. Great low gain overdrive, very easy to get a great sound. Also works great as a clean boost with the gain dialled back.
    Yeah, I was tempted by that one but read a few reviews saying the build quality was a bit inconsistent (flimsy switches, loose jacks etc). How was the build on yours?
  • Just as an addendum to this thread, I picked up a Boss GE-7 2nd hand for £25 this weekend. It's old and a bit faded and scuffed, but works fine. 

What a fun little box of tricks it is! Only scratched the surface in the short bit of time I've tried it, but I'm already convinced it's the best £25 I've ever spent on guitar related stuff!  =)

What's impressed me most is how much increasing the overall level when placed in front of the amp makes the clean channel break-up into natural 'valve-like' overdrive. I realise that's as much a compliment to the Blues Cube as it is to the pedal, but it sounds great! 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Nice price, enjoy! :) Try using it to push an already crunchy sound, pull back the bass and treble sliders to taste, leave the three mids in the middle, push the boost slider, lots of variety that tailors your amp's sound without giving it a new sound :)