I’ve been messing around with IR’s

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8534
edited May 2018 in FX
Oh what a laugh!

Well compared with putting shit in your eyes, or pins in your nipples.

Is it just me but everything about the experience is dispiriting. The websites of the main players are straight out of the 1990’s, the individual file uploads to convolution software is just one step away from loading Horace Goes Skiing on the Sinclair Spectrum. The auditioning is thankless. And then it all sounds very shit at the end of it. With a half decent reactive load box, they all turned 4 grands worth of amp and pedalboard into a Pignose.

I may well need to experiment more, but I’m already several hours down and considering what open windows are nearby.

In summary, life is way too short for IR’s.

Thanks for watching.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You're wrong but that's ok.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    You’ve gone wrong mate!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So my constructive advice would be to go straight to Celestion IRs. What speaker and mic(s) do you use normally?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So my constructive advice would be to go straight to Celestion IRs. What speaker and mic(s) do you use normally?

Yep the Celestion IR's were the best I encountered down the rabbit hole.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    For me the latest OwnHammer release of the 'GNR' Marshall cab - answered everything I needed - which is basically 3 or 4 cabs!
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    peteri said:
    For me the latest OwnHammer release of the 'GNR' Marshall cab - answered everything I needed - which is basically 3 or 4 cabs!
    Agreed, the GNR pack is superb. I’ve tried a few others including Celestion and 3Sigma and always end up back at Ownhammer.

I agree it can be highly dispiriting wading your way through multiple IR’s... but once you’ve found a few you like, stick with those and don’t look back.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Yeah, as the others have said - you're doing something wrong.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Another Ownhammer user here. I’ve been using Kevin’s IRs for years, and am very pleased with the AFD IRs, even though I don’t play GNR’s type of music.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    I really liked the Ownhammer ones and the new Impulse Guys ones are interesting too but not dipped my toe as yet.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I think my point was missed somewhat. Does anyone actually enjoy the search for a good IR. The end game of it sounding good I’m prepared to accept, but all the bits to get to it, not sure I can be arsed / have enough time.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Yeah I did, however the auditioning was a bit of a ballache but I just followed Ownhammers advice in the pdf and found the ones I liked quickly tbf. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    I just got bored quickly and went back to amps and cabs.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    The Celestion ones are great and don't suffer from the gazzillion options you have yo trawl through.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    dindude said:
    I think my point was missed somewhat. Does anyone actually enjoy the search for a good IR. The end game of it sounding good I’m prepared to accept, but all the bits to get to it, not sure I can be arsed / have enough time.
    Yes vs the alternative.  It is faster, cheaper, and more convenient for many reasons - volume (comfort for me, peace for everyone else), recall, flexibility.

With IRs I can audition a sound in 5-10 seconds, and then immediately try something else.  Can't do that with a real setup, though it does mean you have to be well organised to browse quickly.

This is why I like both Ownhammer and Celestion - their stuff is well arranged and easy to browse through, and I think it sounds good too.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    edited May 2018
    To me ears these sound okay for free.

http://www.grgr.de/IR/

I use the free NadIR plug in by Ignite which madness it easy to blend two IRs and browse. I've decided to just make the best of a small selection rather than hunt forever. It does look like you could get lost searching for the perfect " tone IR" forevermore.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    So a bit more on this. I downloaded a Celestion jobbie and have been playing around. What I didn’t say originally, I do any music making on an iPad Pro, I much prefer the workflow of Cubabsis to any DAW I’ve used, namely because I don’t need to re-take a degree level course if I don’t use it for a few months. It has everything I need.

Have tried two things - using the iOS app ToneStack - the only halfway usable amp simulator for iOS IMO - and comparing the stock cabs with the Celestion. In all cases I prefer the ToneStack ones.

Using my valve amp and pedal boards with a Two Note Captor reactive load box, which also has a built in anolog cab sim.
    The cab sim on the Captor is pretty flubby on the low notes and sounds a bit raw, once recorded and played back the Celestion def has more realism and a more sophisticated sound. I still find it an arse to get there though - by the time I’ve got all the levels between the various apps and devices I’m still finding the whole thing very noisy so then need to apply a noise gate etc, by which time I’ve used up more time than I would want just fiddling. For headphones practice, which is the bigger part of what I want to do, just using the Captors in build anolog one is so much more straightforward, no latency etc, I ended up on that for most of the time.

Work flow and ease of use are absolutely paramount for me as I get so little time to play / record. 

Im starting to justify in my head the price of a Universal Audio OX - it just looks belting, one knob to control attenuation to the amp, one knob to control the built in headphone amp, and one knob to control the level to a recording device. And then as simple yet sophisticated as you need to be on setting up cabs and mic sims. This is tech working for you behind the scenes, allowing you to get on with making music.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I don't find it that difficult with the celestion ones, or the free Ownhammer Mesa V60 IRs. The Celestion Creamback M Royer 121 Fat sounds great to me, as do the mic mixes they provide. Just pick one based on what speakers you like and go with it.