Truss rod stuck

What's Hot
The truss rod in my MIJ Squier Strat will not turn anti clockwise  (to add relief). It has a nut at the heel that just unscrews if I turn it left. Is there an easy way to fix this problem? Thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited May 2018
    Turning the nut at the heel left/anticlockwise IS loosening the rod and adding relief.
    The truss rod does not actually turn, when you tighten it the nut effectively just pulls the rod end towards you and it flexes against the string pull. 
    Perhaps the neck is quite stiff to begin with. Holding the headstock and body, give it a push in the centre of the fingerboard and see if you get any slight flexing. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    edited May 2018
    What string gauge and tuning are you using?

This isn’t a double-action rod, so if it’s completely loose already it can’t increase relief - it’s not stuck. If so you will need to find another solution - either to increase the string gauge, or to deliberately dress a small amount of relief into the frets.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    I'm using  9-42 downtuned half step. There is almost zero relief, and some of the frets around 12 are buzzing  and choking out.  I'll try a heavier gauge and see if it helps.  Cheers 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    I'm using  9-42 downtuned half step. There is almost zero relief, and some of the frets around 12 are buzzing  and choking out.  I'll try a heavier gauge and see if it helps.  Cheers 
    yes - with the downtune it's like you only have 8's on there - too little tension
    Try a set of 10-46 to begin with and see how it goes

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    edited May 2018
    I'm using  9-42 downtuned half step. There is almost zero relief, and some of the frets around 12 are buzzing  and choking out.
    That’s probably slightly too light a string gauge for the tuning as FelineGuitars said. But if it’s choking at the 12th or higher, the problem is that the bridge is too low, not that there’s too little relief. (Or the neck is shimmed when it doesn’t need to be.) If it’s only some frets, it could be a fret wear issue as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    Thanks for the tips.  I went up to 10-46, and it has helped,  but there is still some annoying buzz  on certain spots.  The D string isn't ringing 100% clearly on the 11th fret  , and the A string is similar on the 12th. It has very low and thin vintage style frets, so maybe it is time for a fret job. ..
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Give it a few days. The neck may move a bit further
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    downtuned half step
    Down tuning not only reduces the string tension load on the neck that produces curvature, it also alters the balance against the vibrato tension springs. 

If the guitar string tension is slacker than it used to be, the vibrato spring tension should also be reduced proportionately. This should allow the vibrato to sit at the correct tilt angle relative to the body and restore the correct clearances of the strings above the frets.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.