Diminishing Pedal Market

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

I moved away from pedals when I got a Helix, but use a small pedalboard for every gig now.
    But I do miss some of the sounds I used to have on the bigger board so will move back in that direction at some point.   I know what I like and want now, I’m not interested in trying to many things, I’m just going to get my ‘best of’ which have passed through my hands.

The Helix is great and is in no danger of going because it’s so useful, but for the most part I’m a valve amp and pedal guy so to that end, I’ll be back in that fickle market at some point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I'm cyclical with it. Can't be arsed with lifting a pedal board around, sell everything and then get back into pedals. It sums it all up when you look at princes pedal board and it's just boss pedals.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    I love looking at new pedals and love the looks of the boutique thing but as far as actually owning them I can't be arsed with it and begrudge paying that much for a rehashed ts or klon circuit. Got my sights set on a Helix now tbh so trying not to waste any more money on such things! 
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Surprised no one’s really mentioned the way many modern amps behave now - programmable with a foot switch for gigging which often doubles up as a wah and a volume pedal and some basic modulations built in. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    I’ve not noticed this tbh. Any time I’ve listed on here, pretty much everything has sold on the first day. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    AlexC said:
    Surprised no one’s really mentioned the way many modern amps behave now - programmable with a foot switch for gigging which often doubles up as a wah and a volume pedal and some basic modulations built in. 
    That's true, but you have all the eggs in one basket. If the amp goes down - which with some modern amps is not quite as rare as you might imagine - you're stuffed unless you have a fairly similar backup. If you have an amp and a separate pedalboard or multi-FX and one goes down, you can either use the pedalboard/FX directly into the PA, or use the amp with a single spare pedal or something to get you by. Even something as simple as the footswitch cable breaking - assuming it isn't a system which uses a single mono cable - can leave you in a lot of trouble if you rely on the switching.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The only reason something doesn't sell here or anywhere is price. No matter what it is,if it's priced right it will sell. I had been looking at a guitar on here recently  (I'll not say which). Lovely thing,but it's been bumped 496 bazillion times. No takers. Too dear. But some folk either can't or won't accept that,which is entirely their prerogative of course. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    DrJazzTap said:
    I'm cyclical with it. Can't be arsed with lifting a pedal board around, sell everything and then get back into pedals. It sums it all up when you look at princes pedal board and it's just boss pedals.
    Yes that’s fine if you want to sound like Prince... but I wouldn’t say he always had the best sound. His playing and showmanship was first rate, though.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I’ve sold a bunch recently and only one hasn’t shifted. Have to say though that my own buying of them has slowed in recent times and I don’t keep up with what’s coming out very much these days. Still love pedals though...
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I think people who love pedals are still loving pedals and those who love multi fx are still loving multi fx.

The pedal market in general still seems to be roaring along nicely although I think a large degree of staleness has descended on the overdrive market. Plenty of interesting stuff in the more out-there domain.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    ICBM said:
    AlexC said:
    That's true, but you have all the eggs in one basket. If the amp goes down - which with some modern amps is not quite as rare as you might imagine - you're stuffed unless you have a fairly similar backup. If you have an amp and a separate pedalboard or multi-FX and one goes down, you can either use the pedalboard/FX directly into the PA, or use the amp with a single spare pedal or something to get you by. Even something as simple as the footswitch cable breaking - assuming it isn't a system which uses a single mono cable - can leave you in a lot of trouble if you rely on the switching.
    Wis'd.  This is why I never fully dived into using the GAFC with my Boss Katana, and just stick to using it as a clean pedal platform.  I need to be flexible enough to plug into ANY amp and get my sounds (eg shared backline, rehearsal room amps, amp sim pedal etc).  But, it's good to know the Katana can act as a simple backup to my pedal board too, if my board goes tits up for any reason.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    impmann said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    Yes that’s fine if you want to sound like Prince... but I wouldn’t say he always had the best sound. His playing and showmanship was first rate, though.

Yeah point taken. I just think, well I spend too much time chasing the next best thing instead of just being content with my lot. Using that energy to work on improving myself as a guitarist. But even my favourite guitarist Mr Holdsworth was chasing the next best thing, so horses courses and all that. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    I’ve not noticed this tbh. Any time I’ve listed on here, pretty much everything has sold on the first day. 

The pedals you sell are pretty desirable though. 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Certain pedals I think are harder to shift. Boutique pedals or high end stuff seems to sell as does the budget end Mooer etc but I've tried selling a few recently Marshall Reflector, Boo InstumInstr tremolo in the £50 region and I'm getting next to no interest. Never used to be the case
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've been playing over 30 years and have most of what I need. I generally wait for what I'd like to crop up at a price I'd be willing to pay these days. 

Much of the used gear of recent years has been via here.