Whats New Pussycat - Feline Guitars Updates thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    edited January 2015 tFB Trader
    The Purple Panther nicknamed "Purple Ronnie" just got an upgrade.
    Out went the EMG pickups and in came a set of theASL Guitar Pickups Blackbird set. We swapped the pots to CTS and added a push pull coil split on the tone control.
    I wanted to still make use of the battery box it had had since it was built with EMGs and pondered what we could add that would be really useful.
    What we added was a small EMG made booster that gives a controlled/preset amount of gain boost, which can be preset via a trimpot on the rear. It's proved really great for a subtle lift for solos or when you need just a bit more "oomph!"

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    @FelineGuitars

I just happened to wander by your website earlier today ... you should put some of your special sale deals up on here too (prob in the Classifieds).  Not guaranteeing that you'd sell them here, but I'm guessing that you'd tempt a fair few people ...

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    TTony;479902" said:
    @FelineGuitars

I just happened to wander by your website earlier today ... you should put some of your special sale deals up on here too (prob in the Classifieds).  Not guaranteeing that you'd sell them here, but I'm guessing that you'd tempt a fair few people ...

;)
    Absolutely horrible idea...could you imagine all the broken marriages as a result of conversations that start with

"honey...i know we already discussed that i have too many guitars, but..."

Ok - I'll list a few in classifieds...
    Till then here's a peek

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    My word. 

£10 a month alright I take it?  150 months ain't that long I guess......  ;)

Lovely gear as always sir.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Look at that ML Fatboy price drop!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Oh man I still want that gold Tiger. 

I think convincing the wife that I need two goldtop PRS shaped guitars may take some doing though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tell us more about the Fatboy @felineguitars the spec sheet would appear to be wrong....
    The fatboy was something of an experiment.....and whilst a nice playing guitar you need to be big/tall to make it work well.
    About 9/10 years ago we were asked to build an ML shaped guitar and we didn't have an original for rference when we started so we scaled up lots of photos to get the body shape etc.
    Unfortunately we scaled up a bit too much so the body is maybe 1/2" or more bigger all around.
    We kind of knew it was coming out a bit big so we chambered it

Ihave to confess that the neck on it is one of the nicest necks we have made and that the playability is fantastic.
    However the guitar is a bit of a lump to hold and it may actually dwarf a smaller built musician.

Compare it to the replacement that we made once we quickly got our hands on a real one so that the customer got the guitar he was expecting...

We did think about just scrapping it when we realised it was way oversize
    However we hated to let it go to waste such nice wood and the neck felt great
    It has very nice hardware on it - Tonepros and Sperzel, Earvana and Duncan pickups (Distortion and 59 I think)
    So we had the paintshop do a great charcoalburst finish on her
    However - it is a cumbersome  beast and not one that I really want to distance sell , as I suspect it would keep coming back to us one players realise we DO MEAN that it's a bit HUGE.
    There is a player out there that will love it and will grow to lover her.
    We are effectively trying to sell her off cheaply to recoup as much of the material and hardware costs as we can 

• The fatboy was something of an experiment.....and whilst a nice playing guitar you need to be big/tall to make it work well.
    About 9/10 years ago we were asked to build an ML shaped guitar and we didn't have an original for rference when we started so we scaled up lots of photos to get the body shape etc.
    Unfortunately we scaled up a bit too much so the body is maybe 1/2" or more bigger all around.

Ihave to confess that the neck on it is one of the nicest necks we have made and that the playability is fantastic.
    However the guitar is a bit of a lump to hold and it may actually dwarf a smaller built musician.

Compare it to the replacement that we made once we quickly got our hands on a real one so that the customer got the guitar he was expecting...

It has very nice hardware on it - Tonepros and Sperzel, Earvana and Duncan pickups (Distortion and 59 I think)
    However - it is a cumbersome  beast and not one that I really want to distance sell , as I suspect it would keep coming back to us one players realise we DO MEAN that it's a bit HUGE.
    We are effectively trying to sell her off cheaply to recoup as much of the material and hardware costs as we can 
    I've just recommended this to my friend - I'm not sure if he's looking for a guitar but he makes an explorer look like a toy. He's built like this chap. 

And that is one big arse guitar...
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    The fatboy was something of an experiment.....and whilst a nice playing guitar you need to be big/tall to make it work well.

if it had binding and block inlays i would have bought this no issues...that price is rediculous for a guitar of this quality!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I did a similar thing with an ML once - although I went the otherway and made it quite small
  • It's hard to tell from the photos how much bigger it is than normal. I don't suppose you could put it together with a strat or les Paul in one photo, could you ?

I ask because I'm after a quality Dean at the mo and USA ones are like hens teeth.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

So, just to be clear, is it a little on the big side then? :P

Probably not one for me to consider...

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344

I think convincing the wife that I need two goldtop PRS shaped guitars may take some doing though.
    That was the one that got me thinking too ... 

Although it's a goldtop and PRS shaped, it has a completely different set of fretboard inlays which completely changes the tonal characteristics of the guitar.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

That was the one that got me thinking too ... 

Although it's a goldtop and PRS shaped, it has a completely different set of fretboard inlays which completely changes the tonal characteristics of the guitar.

You could buy it and keep it at my house. 

That way you wouldn't have to worry about where to put it :)
  • @FelineGuitars Jonathan, dropped you an email but never know if this confounded iPad works - can I try a few of these delightful instruments on Saturday?
    edited February 2015 tFB Trader
    Yup for sure......another 20th Anniversary got sold today -the green one (two gone this month.....#3 &  #12)
    Still have a few Lions here though

We have just fitted the new ASL Tomcat to my own 20th Anniversary Lion , so you'll get a chance to hear that too....(see below for more info)

Note - we have decided that the ASL Tour '84 will now be called by the name that I had hoped to use for a pickup that ticked all the boxes for my own tastes : The Tomcat.

We have just finalised the neck version to match the bridge that had been making me grin so much and I have to confess to being bowled over.

Here is the explanation of what the pickup is:

Tomcat
    Vintage Inspired Tone with Claws and Balls
    Somehow by comparison anything else seems neutered

Classic PAF style pickup given a shot of adrenaline for rocking out onstage
    Some experiments with A5 magnets and winding with different variations of AWG42 wire paid dividends.
    We also looked deeper into how the various types of insulation on the wire affected the sound of the pickup. 
    We found some insulation types were better for allowing top end sparkle to cut through and others yielded an improved low end tightness and added some low mid focus to the sound.
    After some back to back testing we tried to mix the wire types, playing to the strengths of each wire type to render a pickup that would have a ballsy low end authority, but with a clear sparkling top end.
    A very dynamic sounding pickup, excelling in clean, mid gain and overdriven amp sounds.
    The extra top end sparkle is great for cleans, whilst the tightness low mid focus are perfect for when the drive kicks in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Been busy this last week or so doing some work for our mates in The Darkness 
    This time it was Dan's guitars - his two main stage Les Pauls - both in for some much needed fretwork

This one is called June and is Dan's main stage guitar
    She needed the first five frets replacing due to lots of wear, and we had to fit them within the binding nibs, which is a bit fiddly and time consuming. All went very smoothly and she is back to peak playing condition.
    She does exhibit some road wear though!

This is Terry - Dan's backup to June
    Yes fans of cheesy 70's UK TV shows will spot the reference (and the fact that the show was set in Croydon isn't lost to me either)
    Again - some fretwork , although not as much as June needed and she's ready for the tour

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom