Anyone used Vyse Amps or the amp building course?

What's Hot
VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
Hi
I was idly looking for an amp building course and came across Vyse Amps.  They sell amps and also do courses that allow you to learn and build your own.

Now, I don't have any experience in this area but I've always thought it would be good/nice to have an amp that you've built yourself.  Also, following on from the 'small valve head' thread, that got me thinking about the possibility of building a head instead of just buying one.

So 2 questions really:
1 Has anyone got any experience of the amps that Vyse make and sell?
2 Has anyone been on their course (or any others)?

The link to their site is here - http://vyseamps.com/index.html - just out of interest.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5724
    I have a Vyse 5e3, it’s a completely ridiculous thing. 

Its angry, it’s knarly, at times it’s barley tameable. It’s the loudest small box 1x12 I’ve ever heard in my life, on either channel you get nothing below 2 on the volume and by 3 it’s as loud as it goes. A complete one trick pony. 

Its also hands down the finest amp ever. It has a sprinkling of magic that no other amp I’ve ever played can get anywhere near and within it’s one trick, there are some beautiful nuances and it knocks the spots off any boutique build or Fender CS 5e3 I’ve ever heard. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7817
    Yup, that 5E3 is pretty incredible. Vyse makes
    good amps!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    dazzajl said:
    I have a Vyse 5e3, it’s a completely ridiculous thing. 

Its angry, it’s knarly, at times it’s barley tameable. It’s the loudest small box 1x12 I’ve ever heard in my life, on either channel you get nothing below 2 on the volume and by 3 it’s as loud as it goes. A complete one trick pony. 

Its also hands down the finest amp ever. It has a sprinkling of magic that no other amp I’ve ever played can get anywhere near and within it’s one trick, there are some beautiful nuances and it knocks the spots off any boutique build or Fender CS 5e3 I’ve ever heard. 
    What valve have you got in the first position?  If it's a 12AX7(ECC83) then a 12AY7 might remove some of the hooligan tendencies (if you want to).  A 5E3 with a 12AX7 in the first position is great fun, but it is probably more versatile with a 12AY7.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    More years ago than I care to remember, I built one of the Vyse kits: The Boxer.  The Boxer is a Fender Champ clone, SE and low powered [6V6 output valve].  I built it using tag strips, did a pretty poor job of it judging by a lot of builds that are shown here, but it worked and is still working.  Over the years I modded it slightly, DC for valve heater [no difference] and had plans to add another preamp valve plus EQ controls [as supplied it has a volume control only] but I never got round to 'finishing' it as I had planned to.

Some months ago I had the idea of a complete rebuild but my eyesight is not good enough any more.  I used it with a 1 * 12" cabinet but it has limited clean headroom, distortion sets in early and at fairly low volume.  So if that is your sound, go for it.

I have no experience of the BYO amplifier courses run by Vyse.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    A mate and me did the course together. Good fun, hard work, learned lots but mostly gained confidence and how to work safely. Barry is a fine chap. The amp I built is the Royale, effectively the normal channel of a classic Fender 6L6 reverb amp with tweaks. I've modded it lots since then just because I can, but it was a superb amp to begin with and when I get some free time next year I'm going to remove most mods as unnecessary.  Certainly I won't be buying any other Fendery 6L6 amp - can't be bettered.
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    Vinylfan said:
    Hi
    I was idly looking for an amp building course and came across Vyse Amps.  They sell amps and also do courses that allow you to learn and build your own.

Now, I don't have any experience in this area but I've always thought it would be good/nice to have an amp that you've built yourself.  Also, following on from the 'small valve head' thread, that got me thinking about the possibility of building a head instead of just buying one.

So 2 questions really:
    1 Has anyone got any experience of the amps that Vyse make and sell?
    2 Has anyone been on their course (or any others)?

The link to their site is here - http://vyseamps.com/index.html - just out of interest.

Cheers
    Hey Vinylfan, interesting timing of your question as I recently received delivery of a kit from Barry for a tweed vibrolux 5f11.

No prior experience like yourself and |'m still sorting out some other parts before starting but will update how it all goes as and when.. 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited May 2018
    @Marshall - that sounds very cool.  Be very interested to hear and see how your build goes, especially if you don't have any previous experience. Lots of pictures please!

Out of 
    interest, what made you pick that kit? Actually, I don't think I can find that one on the site.
  • MarshallMarshall Frets: 362
    Vinylfan said:
    @Marshall - that sounds very cool.  Be very interested to hear and see how your build goes, especially if you don't have any previous experience. Lots of pictures please!

Out of interest, what made you pick that kit? Actually, I don't think I can find that one on the site.
    No worries  ;)  the 5f11 just because I fancied it after hearing and reading up a lot about it, and yeah you're right, it was a custom order with Barry, not one he's done before :)  

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.” Einstein

Feedback link -  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/133389/marshall#latest

• BudwiserBudwiser Frets: 1
    Hello all, interesting views on this subject..
    I've been in and around electronics for almost 30yrs in the trade.. Looking at these prices to build valve amps or transistors amps and think gee whiz so high prices.

Mmm if folks have a good skill level they can gain form reading and asking other tech's. 

There is no great magic to it and those who charge huge money for a 10watt amp is just over the top. 
  • BudwiserBudwiser Frets: 1
    The fun is learning and keep learning..

Yes valve's amps are interesting projects when hand wired with strip tag boards. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    edited July 2019
    When you factor in the cost of custom transformers, proper caps,  case, and decent speakers, the U.K. boutique amp sector is cheap compared to the US mainstream 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Barry at Vyse has built a couple of cabs for me... I’ve seen his stuff when I’ve pick the cabs up and it is top notch. Really nice guy, knows his stuff as well... I’d say go for it if you want to learn!!!!
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252
    My main amp for the last 8 or 10 years has been a Vyse Vibrolux head. It was built by Barry, not by me (or the chap I bought it from) as a kit, so the quality - to my lay person's eye - is immaculate. 

It's a wonderful sounding thing, and for all that time has completely killed my amp GAS. Sadly it needs a service now and is in storage due to a new baby taking up all my playing time, but i'm certainly going to keep it for when I can use it again. I've not heard a better sounding Fender amp.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5724
    I’ve spent a long time wondering if then Vyse 5e3 I have is all genius, or part talent and part fluke. 

Am going to find out in the best way possible I can think of and have Barry build me something else. He’s been completely amazing so far, researching, answering questions and guiding me through my options to make sure I get just the amp I want. 
  • I built a Boxer from one of Barry's kits about 10 years ago.
    (2x12AX7 power valves, 1x6V6 output and a GZ34 rectifier valve, combo with V30 12" Celestion).
    Also bought the cabinet (flat pack) and tolex.

I had absolutely zero experience in electronics other than a bit of soldering on guitars.

Barry was really very helpful and very patient on the phone (and I called him quite a lot).

I had an issue with the transformer on the build at one point and Barry was over in Manchester visiting his daughter (He lives in Kent) and he made a trip over to my house near Oldham to take a look and help me out.

I'm still using the amp now - it's excellent and Barry is a top bloke.

I'd say go for it, you wont regret it.
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a vyse 5e3. Been to visit Barry several times over the years. Really interesting visit every time. Quality is excellent and after sales service top notch. Just a really nice genuine bloke (in fact there are a couple of others I think, I met jason recently who does most of the amp builds now, with Barry hand crafting the cabs). What you have there is a thoroughbred old school amp builder. I imagine it would be very rewarding to do one of his construction courses. 
  • I've got a Vyse 5e3 with a post phase inverter master volume mod. I was after something very specific with this amp, as I wanted to be able to use the amp both as a "normal" 5e3 and use it in a low volume setting. Barry was extremely patient in answering my questions, and suggesting the best options for what I needed. The amp that he built me as a result is fabulous, and does everything I expected. I'm sure his amp courses would be just as high quality as his amps. 
  • AornicAornic Frets: 475
    edited August 2020
    I have a blackface Princeton Reverb clone that sounds mega. Had it since about October last year. I had initially tried a Fender '65 Re-issue, but found that it rattled on the lower notes if the bass was anywhere above 2. I hit up Barry about this and got a mainstay - and an excellent clean platform for all my pedals. The only thing I am curious about at this point is out of my budget, the higher end Two-Rock offerings.

Edit: also replaced the stock rectifier with a vintage blackbase Mullard GZ34 - changes the feel significantly from the 5U4G.