by George he must be good - another job for Osbourne

What's Hot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44251191

You can see why they don't want to stay as MP's - yet their political influence and knowledge undoubtedly allows them to exploit loopholes
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 10679

Gobby is an avaricious vulture. He is not representative of all MP's. Consider his movements to that of Alistair Darling for instance since Darling left politics. 
    I make Jeremy Paxman look like Fingermouse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 2100
    £650k for the odd meeting where he expresses his opinion but dies not actually have to do any work.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 5085
    edited May 26
    Exor has over £26,000,000,000 in assets.

You average IFA is going to want about 0.25% for setting up your investment.

So George is a bargain!
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 2090
    Good for him.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1320
    It makes sense, people high up in the government achieve a sort of celebrity status, it makes it easy for them to get jobs where they do very little and earn a lot.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30850
    It makes sense, people high up in the government achieve a sort of celebrity status, it makes it easy for them to get jobs where they do very little and earn a lot.
    Isn't politics described as "show business for ugly people"?
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 715
    edited May 28
    I thought it was well known that politicians are rewarded for their service, via board membership, speeches, book deals, think tanks, consultancy, etc..
    To be fair, nobody on the Fretboard could do that job. Obnoxious git obviously, but he is not without skill.
    Chalky said:
    To be fair, nobody on the Fretboard could do that job. Obnoxious git obviously, but he is not without skill.
    Financial competency as chancellor versus being able to stand up without looking like a tit? God blessed me with one of those: I think you can guess which one. 

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1505/76/1505767047184.png
    Chalky said:
    Financial competency as chancellor versus being able to stand up without looking like a tit? God blessed me with one of those: I think you can guess which one. 

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1505/76/1505767047184.png
    True, but your skill aint much of an earner, is it? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    My skill means that I'm stunt double at the next Tory conference if any of the leading lights injury themselves in the power stance warmup routine backstage. With the aid of wigs and sensitive lighting, I can fool the entire conference that I'm actually Liz Truss 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 7686
    Freebird said:
    I thought it was well known that politicians are rewarded for their service, via board membership, speeches, book deals, think tanks, consultancy, etc..
    They're rewarded because of their contacts, not their skills. Prominent ex-cabinet ministers are worth a fortune to large companies for their cronyism, for advance notice of government policy, for insider trading deals and their lobbying influence. 

The individuals who personally made tens of millions overnight when Royal Mail were privatised had friends in the right places (Osborne especially). They weren't being guided by skillful business consultants, they were being fed advance warning of red hot deals. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    p90fool said:

The individuals who personally made tens of millions overnight when Royal Mail were privatised had friends in the right places (Osborne especially). They weren't being guided by skillful business consultants, they were being fed advance warning of red hot deals. 
    In principle it's exactly the same as the way a few second-hand car salesmen and the like became billionaires when the Russian state industries were broken up... and we say they're corrupt.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Oh dear, we've reached the usual Fretboard maxim, i.e.

"Anyone getting more money than me is either lucky (they didn't earn it), stupid (they inherited it), or corrupt (they stole it)."

Its never that they earned it by working a lot harder for a lot longer and being more intelligent and wiser :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 7686
    edited May 29
    Chalky said:

"Anyone getting more money than me is either lucky (they didn't earn it), stupid (they inherited it), or corrupt (they stole it)."

Its never that they earned it by working a lot harder for a lot longer and being more intelligent and wiser :)
    There are plenty of people richer than me who earned it by working harder, being more intelligent etc. I don't begrudge them at all.

And then there are a lot of others who fall into the categories you mentioned. I don't even begrudge the first two, although I do think they should pay tax on it. But I do very much begrudge the last category.

And politicians who make a vast amount of money for themselves and their friends from things which their position enables them to do so *are* corrupt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 3888
    ICBM said:
    Chalky said:

There are plenty of people richer than me who earned it by working harder, being more intelligent etc. I don't begrudge them at all.

And then there are a lot of others who fall into the categories you mentioned. I don't even begrudge the first two, although I do think they should pay tax on it. But I do very much begrudge the last category.

And politicians who make a vast amount of money for themselves and their friends from things which their position enables them to do so *are* corrupt.
    plus under his 'talented' watch, government total debt rose by over 500 billion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 1737
    ICBM said:

I think more than the fact that they're enriching themselves in a questionable way, it's the fact that it attracts others into politics in order to do the same.

If you don't want to be in Westminster politics for, you know, the purposes of making the world a better place for your electorate, then you shouldn't be there at all.

I can't help but think the temptation of riches beyond the already fairly tidy salary is attracting the wrong sort and contributing to the parlous state of both main parties.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    Chalky said:

And like a bad penny, George keep on falling...

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/james-cusick/george-osborne-s-london-evening-standard-promises-positive-news-coverage-to-uber-goo