live amp set up

Santona1937Santona1937 Frets: 4
  Looking for folks' thoughts on set up, if poss. We have a PA and individual amps.  Acoustic guitar. I want to use the amp as a monitor and mic it through  the PA. As the PA generally sits away from me  and behind I was thinking about running the amp mic through a small Behringer 802 mixer that I have, and then main out to the PA. .this way I can control sound if I have to  without fighting a way to the PA.. has anyone done this, or am I over complicating matters ?   many thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    What amp are you using, the addition of a mic to the system seems like extra complication, I would just take the line out of the amp into the PA.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    What amp are you using, the addition of a mic to the system seems like extra complication, I would just take the line out of the amp into the PA.
    It's also worth checking whether the DI output is pre- or post-master volume, ie does adjusting the level of the amp on stage affect the FOH level. It's not ideal to mic an acoustic guitar amp - if if has a separate tweeter you won't get the proper sound through the PA.

I would also say that generally it's a bad idea to try to adjust the FOH mix from the stage, without being able to hear what effect that is having out front - at least without input from someone out there.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

•  Laney LA 60c. using a mic so I can keep  amp volume down.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
     Laney LA 60c. using a mic so I can keep  amp volume down.
    Line out of the amp should not be affected by master volume of amp
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated, Will line out amp to PA....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
     Laney LA 60c. using a mic so I can keep  amp volume down.
    Line out of the amp should not be affected by master volume of amp
    Having checked the spec/owner's manual - there is no overall master volume, so the Line Out level will be affected by the channel volume setting. There is also no balanced output, so a ground loop is a possibility.

I would try it with a direct connection from the amp to the PA, but if you get a ground loop hum, then you need a DI box. Mic'ing it won't work well as it does appear to have a separate tweeter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• indeed it does have a separate tweeter... I have a DI box . Will have a go this evening at direct amp to PA and see what happens, many thanks.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    I understand your need to have some control over your own volume, but there's no real reason to do it between your amp and the PA with an electro acoustic, you can do it at the guitar or with a volume pedal. 

For our acoustic gigs I only really use two volume settings on my guitar's preamp, one for full strumming and one for lead passages. Full fader control just makes it harder to concentrate on playing IME.