The Biggest Weekend

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
Just listened to Noel, and some of his stuff really isn't bad. I used to like Oasis back in the day, but haven't really listened to his stuff at all. 

I am even thinking about buying an album of his.

Anyone else hear anything surprising/good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Just got the list up on iPlayer and nothing really must watch for me so far although I’ve put on Courtney Barnett. I like that you can never quite tell if she knows what she’s doing. Very shiney guitar. 
    My son and his girlfriend were watching the Sam Smith concert last night but it’s very bland stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MrsLostSon is a big Ed Sheeran fan so she's had that on this morning. I'm not as keen on him (especially the rap stuff he does), but I have to admit it's incredible how he entertains the crowd on his own.

Having owned a loop pedal it boggles my mind how good he is at it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    The Manics for me. One of their techs stood in for Nicky Wire who had a ‘family crises’ at the last moment. Bloke could really play bass... And no surprises that he knew all the songs. Makes you realise what talented people these backline guys are behind the big bands.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited May 2018
    Downloaded the breeders but haven't watched yet.  I keep thinking I will like Noel's birds but every time I watch its like, meh... will watch beck too.
  • guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 461
    We were there yesterday in Swansea - nice to see something ‘big’ locally..

Of what we saw:

Ed was up first & say what you like about him/his music, you can’t deny that boys ability to hold a crowd. Just him, one guitar & a looper..

Jess Glynne, she can sing but no attempt to interact with the crowd. Guitarist had a nice Strat into a Kemper & Marshall cab. 

Liam Payne was entertaining enough. Not my thing but daughter loved it. 

Mabel had some good songs but rendered unlistenable by the sub bass making your chest hurt with the vibrations. Don’t know if it was meant to be like this or if I’m just old..

Years & Years. Surprisingly good & entertaining. Green cat suit withstanding..

Chroma on the introducing stage were really good, bit like Royal Blood in sound (drummer, bassist (that also sounds like guitar) & female vocalist). Local band too.

Chvrches were excellent but the sound let them down (couldn’t really hear the vocals).

Wolf Alice were superb and the highlight for me - really entertaining plus some nice Jaguars, Telecasters & Fender amps.

Sam Smith, again say what you like about his music but he was excellent, the crowd loved him. Guitarist had a loverly ES330... Want one now...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Paloma Faith is smashing it.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    Only watched Ed and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds sets, the keyboard player (Jessica I think her name is) for Noel's HFB is rather tasty eh!
  • kurokuro Frets: 26
    Surprised by how much I liked Taylor Swift this evening.
    She connects with her target audience, that's for sure.

• kuro said:
    Surprised by how much I liked Taylor Swift this evening.
    She connects with her target audience, that's for sure.

Snap, I enjoyed it and she made a big effort with the crowd.

Stereophonics were good this afternoon 
  • jakzekjakzek Frets: 55
    AlexC said:
    The Manics for me. One of their techs stood in for Nicky Wire who had a ‘family crises’ at the last moment. Bloke could really play bass... And no surprises that he knew all the songs. Makes you realise what talented people these backline guys are behind the big bands.

I watched them too, agreed he did a great job but looked like he really didn’t want to be there haha 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Just watched Simple Minds. Charlie Burchill has still got some great tones and an even better set of teeth.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Young Fathers short set in Belfast was an absolute belter. Those guys know how to play to a crowd! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited May 2018
    Just watching Squeeze, I know I’m old but quite frankly they were fantastic, Diiford and Tilbrook had some mighty fine tunes..Tempted was absolutely sublime.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Been watching a few videos on iPlayer and the discovery for me was Public Service Broadcasting who were awesome!
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited May 2018
    Just watched Nigel Kennedy - who was excellent. He then gets Mark King on who goes mental on the bass while they do 4 Hendrix numbers. Worth watching if you didn't catch the live broadcast. Kennedy has more Boss pedals than most guitarists and seemed to be playing through a Rivera. Best use of wah-wah I've heard in years too!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Just realised there are a bunch of sets on the BBC website that weren’t coming up on the iPlayer. Might not be news to anyone else. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    AlexC said:
    Just watched Nigel Kennedy - who was excellent. He then gets Mark King on who goes mental on the bass while they do 4 Hendrix numbers. Worth watching if you didn't catch the live broadcast. Kennedy has more Boss pedals than most guitarists and seemed to be playing through a Rivera. Best use of wah-wah I've heard in years too!
    I stayed in a hotel outside gloucester last year, when we sat down for dinner we heard the most beautiful violin music coming from next door, Nigel Kennedy was staying there and using the bar to rehearse in, the flustered manager came over and apologised for the noise!
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    And all paid for by the license fee. These mega stars aren't doing it for free and they then charge for the ticket! 
     Isn't the BBC such a wonderful institution 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Been watching a few videos on iPlayer and the discovery for me was Public Service Broadcasting who were awesome!
    They are fantastic :)

Latest album is great
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    And all paid for by the license fee. These mega stars aren't doing it for free and they then charge for the ticket! 
     Isn't the BBC such a wonderful institution 
    If they're charging for tickets then surely it isn't all paid for by the licence fee? In any case, there's no Glasto this year so I assume this is mostly coming from the budget that would've gone on that.  

I can't quite believe we're on a music forum with people complaining about live music being put on on a huge scale in ANY format...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom