The Hudson Broadcast 9v & 24v versions - My experiences!

What's Hot

Comments

• mistercharliemistercharlie Frets: 333
    I think the answer to having different EQ on each of the channels is to buy two. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 333
    Strangely, I’m not yet enjoying it on its own as much as I’d hoped.  My Carpe Diem / TS 808 combo sounds much better through my Bogner Ecstasy.

I just can’t seem to get an OD tone I like out of the low gain side alone...however, I plugged it into my Mark V:25 and boosted it with a Prince of Tone, and that was glorious.

Will give it some time to bed in then decide whether to keep it or sell it and buy a Timmy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    spirit7 said:
    Strangely, I’m not yet enjoying it on its own as much as I’d hoped.  My Carpe Diem / TS 808 combo sounds much better through my Bogner Ecstasy.

I just can’t seem to get an OD tone I like out of the low gain side alone...however, I plugged it into my Mark V:25 and boosted it with a Prince of Tone, and that was glorious.

Will give it some time to bed in then decide whether to keep it or sell it and buy a Timmy.
    I use the low gain side of my 24v Broadcast as a solo boost into a tubescreamer type pedal in the same way I used to use a Klone - rather than run the Broadcast in low gain on its own - and that does sound glorious. If I’m running the Broadcast alone then I will always use the high gain side. FWIW I am using a warm toned amp, so different amps and/or using a 9v Broadcast will yeald different results...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7 said:

The low-gain side doesn’t  really make for a full-on overdrive. I find it good for girth and growl, and I switch to the high-gain side for filth. 
  • I love mine - where is everyone using theirs? I have mine first in the chain, then Wah > OD > Boost >  Comp > Vol
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • Second — after an Eventide H9, and before a Cock Fight. It really adds a lot to the H9’s distortions. 
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 333
    I’ve now played with it for a week and see what you all mean.  It’s a brilliant pedal and really does its own thing.  The low gain side stacks amazingly with a Prince of Tone.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    I decided to change my amp at rehearsal this week, instead of the usual JCM800 I switched to a Groove Tubes amp (AFAIK a modded 6v6 Fender deluxe type amp).  The settings on my Broadcast sounded totally different with the amp switched over. It's going to take a bit of tweaking for sure to get it working well with the GT. 

It just illustrates how important the interaction is between pedal and amp. 
  • molokaiomolokaio Frets: 10
    @emanux ; interesting read
  • emanuxemanux Frets: 20
    molokaio said:
    @emanux ; interesting read
    Yep man! thx
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I stuck a £15 boost pedal I built from an Aliexpress kit after the Broadcast, and the two together is the best my amp/guitar has ever sounded. 
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    I have just tried out a new combo for silent practice. Boss sd-1w going into broadcast going into mooer radar. Killer tone. I am loving this pedal.
  • I have the 9v dual foot switch, and love it. Quite sensitive to the volume control on the guitar, not as much as a germanium fuzz, but really useful. 

It's a different sound from many overdrives, not compressed and smooth, but that's what I've been seeking. Playing technique makes a difference in response, and I'm continually learning how to get more out of it.

It's not a set and forget pedal if you want to get the most out of it, but I don't find myself tweaking endlessly either. It could be an always on using the guitar volume and moving between the channels once the trim is set, with occasional changes to the bass cut and gain.

The internal trim pots can make a large difference. IIRC it came with Ch1 set full low and Ch2 set full on.

Channel 1 is great for some growl when you dig in, love it for 'roots' inspired music. Channel 2 can be set high for a fuzz type sound, has a grittier, wilder character even when the trim is set low, but string playing technique can smooth that a bit for lead work. I currently have toned down the second channel to be more like a pushed first channel.

I found 18v from my power supply too clean for single coils on Ch 1 (very little pedal effect) but I need to go back and play with the internal trim pots vs power. My supply has 9v-12v-18v options. 

Overall I hear a slight treble increase with the pedal on, but within the range of a guitar's tone control.

The bass cut and gain knobs are helpful for moving between single coils and humbuckers. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Maaaaaaaaan what a pedal. Absolutely love it.
    Literally has blown my socks off
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    edited October 2018
    I’ve just picked up a 9volt 2 button Broadcast.... I’ve put it off for ages as I wasn’t too impressed with online demos....First impressions were ok but not much gain from the low side...I opened up the back maxed out the internal trimpots and Bloody Hell its fantastic... like @Majorscale says in his review, the clarity is amazing and works really well at home volumes. it’s so addictive to play....and feels great under the fingers. The cleanup with the volume pot is also ace. I really wanted a Hudson Sidecar or 999 and if this is anything to go on, I’ll be keeping my eye out.

I play through a Tweed Deluxe clone which is what @Majorscale said sounded really good which made me pull the trigger. I’m VERY happy 

https://i.imgur.com/MIow2mT.jpg
  • I think the 9v is way better than the 24. I actually use my 9v at 18v, which works out right for me. The 24 is a bit too clean.
  • I agree the 24v can be pretty clean, although it can also get quite filthy on the high channel and / or by tweaking the trimpots.

I use mine always on to add a bit of colour to my almost-clean sound, then stack other drives into it for more dirt.  Recently I've been getting very nice results with my Snouse BB2.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • First I’ve heard about trimpots
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    First I’ve heard about trimpots
    Open up the back and you’ll see 2 small pots together for more or less gain. I’ve got mine maxed out and use Guitar volume to give me more or less.... :)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    And when you have the back out pull the led's from the coloured lenses - I found the lights way too bright - they are blinding!
     Withe the less pulled back they are still bright but it's less hassle than fitting resistors.