The Hudson Broadcast 9v & 24v versions - My experiences!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 225
    I stuck a £15 boost pedal I built from an Aliexpress kit after the Broadcast, and the two together is the best my amp/guitar has ever sounded. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 296
    I have just tried out a new combo for silent practice. Boss sd-1w going into broadcast going into mooer radar. Killer tone. I am loving this pedal.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I have the 9v dual foot switch, and love it. Quite sensitive to the volume control on the guitar, not as much as a germanium fuzz, but really useful. 

It's a different sound from many overdrives, not compressed and smooth, but that's what I've been seeking. Playing technique makes a difference in response, and I'm continually learning how to get more out of it.

It's not a set and forget pedal if you want to get the most out of it, but I don't find myself tweaking endlessly either. It could be an always on using the guitar volume and moving between the channels once the trim is set, with occasional changes to the bass cut and gain.

The internal trim pots can make a large difference. IIRC it came with Ch1 set full low and Ch2 set full on.

Channel 1 is great for some growl when you dig in, love it for 'roots' inspired music. Channel 2 can be set high for a fuzz type sound, has a grittier, wilder character even when the trim is set low, but string playing technique can smooth that a bit for lead work. I currently have toned down the second channel to be more like a pushed first channel.

I found 18v from my power supply too clean for single coils on Ch 1 (very little pedal effect) but I need to go back and play with the internal trim pots vs power. My supply has 9v-12v-18v options. 

Overall I hear a slight treble increase with the pedal on, but within the range of a guitar's tone control.

The bass cut and gain knobs are helpful for moving between single coils and humbuckers. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 7814
    Maaaaaaaaan what a pedal. Absolutely love it.
    Literally has blown my socks off
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 1634
    edited October 18
    I’ve just picked up a 9volt 2 button Broadcast.... I’ve put it off for ages as I wasn’t too impressed with online demos....First impressions were ok but not much gain from the low side...I opened up the back maxed out the internal trimpots and Bloody Hell its fantastic... like @Majorscale says in his review, the clarity is amazing and works really well at home volumes. it’s so addictive to play....and feels great under the fingers. The cleanup with the volume pot is also ace. I really wanted a Hudson Sidecar or 999 and if this is anything to go on, I’ll be keeping my eye out.

I play through a Tweed Deluxe clone which is what @Majorscale said sounded really good which made me pull the trigger. I’m VERY happy 

https://i.imgur.com/MIow2mT.jpg
  • I think the 9v is way better than the 24. I actually use my 9v at 18v, which works out right for me. The 24 is a bit too clean.
  • I agree the 24v can be pretty clean, although it can also get quite filthy on the high channel and / or by tweaking the trimpots.

I use mine always on to add a bit of colour to my almost-clean sound, then stack other drives into it for more dirt.  Recently I've been getting very nice results with my Snouse BB2.
    Trading feedback  |   FS: nothing just now  |   WTB: Bypass looper
  • First I’ve heard about trimpots
    First I’ve heard about trimpots
    Open up the back and you’ll see 2 small pots together for more or less gain. I’ve got mine maxed out and use Guitar volume to give me more or less.... :)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1436
    And when you have the back out pull the led's from the coloured lenses - I found the lights way too bright - they are blinding!
     Withe the less pulled back they are still bright but it's less hassle than fitting resistors.
    I’m sat here with the Broadcast and can’t help thinking I’d like the LED’s around the other way. Green for on and Red for High gain... I might have to open her up again to modify mine B)
  • mines red for on and blue for hi gain
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited November 3
    Mine’s red for on and green high gain....I’d definitely like green for on and Red for High gain ( god, I need to get a life)  s
    I’ve just changed my LEDs over... I thought it might just be coloured caps but it’s the LEDs that are coloured... I now have Green for pedal on and Red for High gain... Peace in the Universe is now restored... :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    tone1 said:
    I’ve just changed my LEDs over... I thought it might just be coloured caps but it’s the LEDs that are coloured... I now have Green for pedal on and Red for High gain... Peace in the Universe is now restored... :)

That's interesting - mine is definitely white LED's under coloured lenses for both. Actually, it's not that interesting but it might explain why I found mine so bright.

Gagaryn said:
    tone1 said:

That's interesting - mine is definitely white LED's under coloured lenses for both. Actually, it's not that interesting but it might explain why I found mine so bright.

I would have preferred white LEDs as I could have just switched coloured lenses  :)
    tone1 said:
    Gagaryn said:
    tone1 said:

I would have preferred white LEDs as I could have just switched coloured lenses  :)

Which is what I will be doing when I get home. :-)
    edited November 5
    It’s not just me who thinks Green LED For Pedal on is the best way of doing it.... 
  • pmgpmg Frets: 219
    Finally got around to using this recent 24v peach version) and must say I’ve been impressed.  A keeper!