What’s the going rate for a 68 Princeton Reverb?

What's Hot
thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
One of the classic amp types I’ve never had is the Fender clean with reverb and tremolo thing, so I’ve been thinking I’d love to try a Princeton at some point. One has popped up locally on gumtree for £675 (£699 on ebay!) but that seems very high to me. It’s in good condition but a few years old, and had at least three owners. Looking on here and sold items on ebay I’ve seen 2-3 go for £550 and several around £600, some only a few months old. Also seen a few with speaker upgrades or even the pricier 65 RIs go for not much more than that.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    There's one on this very forum :)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    There is indeed, but they tend to be pickup only. Worth asking though...
  • Hi. If I could gaurentee it would arrive safely I'd post mine to you. I'd have to find suitable packaging and you'd have to pay for insured delivery. Pm me if interested 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Then there’s this Fender Special Reserve Princeton, also here on tFB. It’s a bit more than the OP’s budget, but it gets you a 12” speaker instead of the 10”, and comes in a very attractive grey tweed:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/129218/
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I'd check if I were you that it is the 68 you want, and not the 65. I bought mine with a similar use case intention (albeit probably at quieter volume than you are looking for) and it's not really floated my boat all that much. The only time I've been happy with it was dummy loaded into a speaker IR for recording but it's a lot of amp just to use as a quick preamp into Audacity
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 734
    fandango said:
    Then there’s this Fender Special Reserve Princeton, also here on tFB. It’s a bit more than the OP’s budget, but it gets you a 12” speaker instead of the 10”, and comes in a very attractive grey tweed:

I sold this unfortunately! I actually think the standard 1x10 compares very well and is a good deal lighter. That’s the one I’ve still got. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    fandango said:

I sold this unfortunately! I actually think the standard 1x10 compares very well and is a good deal lighter. That’s the one I’ve still got. 
    @jellybelly - congrats. Don’t forget to update the adpost in the classifieds.....
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    I think a Princeton sounds better as intended with a good 10inch speaker. As soon as it gets in to bigger speakers and trying to get more volume, I think I’d rather have a deluxe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'd check if I were you that it is the 68 you want, and not the 65. I bought mine with a similar use case intention (albeit probably at quieter volume than you are looking for) and it's not really floated my boat all that much. The only time I've been happy with it was dummy loaded into a speaker IR for recording but it's a lot of amp just to use as a quick preamp into Audacity
    Yes, tbh I thought the 65 was the one I wanted, based on Johnny Marr’s recent use of 65 Deluxes. I quite like Ryan Adams’s sound with the 68 though, but I doubt I’d get the chance to turn it up to 4! I probably wouldn’t be disappointed with either, but I might hang on for a couple of months to see if a 65 turns up.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Yes, tbh I thought the 65 was the one I wanted, based on Johnny Marr’s recent use of 65 Deluxes. I quite like Ryan Adams’s sound with the 68 though, but I doubt I’d get the chance to turn it up to 4! I probably wouldn’t be disappointed with either, but I might hang on for a couple of months to see if a 65 turns up.
    I always associate Ryan Adams with the 65 though I could be wrong? It does sound better to be on 4 or 5 but you can't do that in a small room at home, it's quite bassy so bed an attenuator. These two songs are recorded with it through IRs into audacity (Ryan Adams song for good measure!):

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Ryan Adams and the 68: https://youtu.be/AwbMY315Qp8

Jim Campilongo makes the 68 sound great as well.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

The stock Celestion speaker doesn't do it any favours if you want that classic Fender clean.

I put a WGS veteran 10 in mine - big improvement.  Not a stupid price either.

http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/wgs-g10-veteran-20w-10-guitar-speaker-8ohm-p-1939.html

Someone was advertising a Weber 10F150 in the classifieds recently.  That would probably be really good in one of these.

I'd also agree with @musteatbrain that a Princeton is better with a 10" speaker.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Deffo 10”

I’ve tried both the 65 and 68 against my original 1966. Whilst not close to the 66 in terms of beauty of sound, the 68 was margainally the better of the two.

600 is about right.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Gassage said:
    Deffo 10”

I’ve tried both the 65 and 68 against my original 1966. Whilst not close to the 66 in terms of beauty of sound, the 68 was margainally the better of the two.

600 is about right.

You should try the 68 with a better speaker.  The stock Celestion really doesn't do it any favours.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Put a 'Ragin Cajun' in it if you want to stick with a 10".  I had one in my '68 drip edge and it sounded great.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.