Do you use modulation for non compositional/cover playing?

What's Hot
LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
I keep getting really excited about various modulation pedals: chorus, phaser, wah, etc. but whenever I buy one it just sits on my board and doesn't get used outside of the specific scenario (song, riff, idea) which inspired me to get it in the first place.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited May 2018
    I play in a covers band and similarly only use modulation when a specific song calls for it.  As modulation I include phaser, rotary, flanger, chorus, tremolo & univibe.  I think I only use rotary for one song currently - Cream's 'Badge', and uni-vibe for certain Hendrix stuff.  Tremolo I use for Gimme shelter, and Pink Floyds 'Money'.  Some Zep songs have some modulation too. Other songs where I use modulation include:

Run to you (Bryan Adams) (chorus or flanger...can't remember!)
    Brighton Rock (Queen) (phaser)
    Wonderful tonight (Eric Clapton) (chorus)
    Roxanne (phaser) / Message in a bottle (chorus) (The Police) 
    Whatever you want (Quo) Chorus/flanger
    Hot for teacher (flanger) Van Halen
    Nobody's fault but mine (Led Zep) (flanger)

That's just from memory but without checking my Tonelab settings I might have got some of the above modulation type wrong.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    I keep getting really excited about various modulation pedals: chorus, phaser, wah, etc. but whenever I buy one it just sits on my board and doesn't get used outside of the specific scenario (song, riff, idea) which inspired me to get it in the first place.

In which other scenarios would you use it other than for playing others or your own songs? :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I recently swapped my phaser for a delay and just kept the Viscous Vibe mainly for an original song.  I miss the phaser though so when I get round to addressing the extra power l may well put it back on the board. We do covers our way so not slavishly copying the sounds. For instance I would use phase on Heard it through the grapevine.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I use a Boss GT 100 for convenience but don't use too many effects. I use it more as a single button channel switcher with reverb/boost at the same time to simplify things when singing as well as playing. 

I'll use tiny bit chorus/flanger for some naff 80s stuff - Nothing Compares 2 U / Heaven Is A Place On Earth type covers. I use wah for some solos but always try to restrict it to a maximum of two songs per set to avoid developing Hammett syndrome. I might use bit of delay for some solos such as the distorted solo in Moonlight Shadow but the other guitarist in my band uses loads for his solos so I go for a different sound most of the time.

There's nothing wong with using these type of effects sparsely. I view them as being like seasoning - Just the right amount can improve your food but overdoing it can ruin the taste 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8689
    I also play in a covers band. Some songs sound like the original. Others we rearrange. I use modulation when I want a specific sound, whether it was in the original or not. I’m not a heavy effects user. So from yesterday’s set list 8 of the 40 songs had modulation:

Design for Life - Chorus. Was it on the original? Don’t know, but we play it in A, and the chorus helps the lower pitch to cut through.

Rocket Man, yes the Elton John song but without piano - Chorus and Tremolo.

Valerie - wah for the quiet fourth verse. Strum once every two bars, and rock the pedal on the beat.

Sweet Child of Mine - Chorus. More Sheryl Crowe than GnR.

Friday I’m in Love - Chorus.

Run to You - Chorus.

Message in a Bottle - Chorus and Flange. Even Andy Summers doesn’t remember what he used on the recording.

Superstition - Wah fest.

I also use a little Chorus as a signal doubler to thicken up some lead sounds.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I agree with @flying_pie ; effects particularly modulation are seasoning and best not over used.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    Fez said:
    I agree with @flying_pie ; effects particularly modulation are seasoning and best not over used.
    While I agree with the statement, effects have been used to define whole album sounds in the past. the Police used a lot of flange or chorus at one time. The mxr phaser is all over the Stones Some Girls album. I’m sure there are more examples..
  • I keep getting really excited about various modulation pedals: chorus, phaser, wah, etc. but whenever I buy one it just sits on my board and doesn't get used outside of the specific scenario (song, riff, idea) which inspired me to get it in the first place.

In which other scenarios would you use it other than for playing others or your own songs? :)
    Well maybe my situation is unique but I'm a garden-shed player so I don't have a covers repetoire to satisfy; I just got a phaser (for example) because it sounds awesome as heck on VH tracks, but it only ever ended up getting used on those!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    If you use any reverb/ delay do you ever use modulated reverb/ delay? You get that ‘wash’ of modulation without affecting your core tone. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    JezWynd said:
    Fez said:
    While I agree with the statement, effects have been used to define whole album sounds in the past. the Police used a lot of flange or chorus at one time. The mxr phaser is all over the Stones Some Girls album. I’m sure there are more examples..
    Indeed. I'd also add Tom Morello's use of Whammy and delay on early RATM stuff. 

The point is that for your average covers band too much inappropriate seasoning isn't good. I've heard plenty of covers ruined by overkill chorus cleans and atrocious lead tones with too much delay
    Fez said:
    Whilst I agree with avoiding overuse FX can be more than seasoning. Sometimes they are a key part of the sound.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I use some flanger and some phaser sparingly in original compositions. 
    I love the sound of the dimension pedal on the md500 but have never committed it to a track.

I do have one track that is purely shaped by the eventide undulator algorithm but I have no idea what effects it contains other than delay.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I use some flanger and some phaser sparingly in original compositions. 
    I love the sound of the dimension pedal on the md500 but have never committed it to a track.

I do have one track that is purely shaped by the eventide undulator algorithm but I have no idea what effects it contains other than delay.
    Ever since i got the MD500 i use modulation all over the shop. However - and this is the important thing for me - i like the way it makes me play differently. Something like a bit of woozy vibrato or Dimension or whatever can really make you come at something from a completely different angle. I dont feel like im over-using because firstly i dont use delay really so im not awash in the mix and secondly i almost always take advantage of the ability to mix in some of the dry signal so you get that presence.  
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1274
    I have just a Pickle Vibe on my board. Covers band I use it for Purple Rain and Call Me The Breeze (Lynyrd Skynyrd stylee). Original material band a couple of songs to reference that swirly psychedelic thing. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Voxman said:
    I play in a covers band and similarly only use modulation when a specific song calls for it.  As modulation I include phaser, rotary, flanger, chorus, tremolo & univibe.  I think I only use rotary for one song currently - Cream's 'Badge', and uni-vibe for certain Hendrix stuff.  Tremolo I use for Gimme shelter, and Pink Floyds 'Money'.  Some Zep songs have some modulation too. Other songs where I use modulation include:

Run to you (Bryan Adams) (chorus or flanger...can't remember!)
    Brighton Rock (Queen) (phaser)
    Wonderful tonight (Eric Clapton) (chorus)
    Roxanne (phaser) / Message in a bottle (chorus) (The Police) 
    Whatever you want (Quo) Chorus/flanger
    Hot for teacher (flanger) Van Halen
    Nobody's fault but mine (Led Zep) (flanger)

That's just from memory but without checking my Tonelab settings I might have got some of the above modulation type wrong.

I would like to see your band
    Thsts a great set
  • Thanks for the thoughtful input, chaps - I spent some time with a Keeley Super mod Station today and I was really dissapointed - certainly there was lots of swirly, tremolo stuff going on - but realistically the only thing I thought was even marginally usable in a wider setting were the mild chorus and mild phase sounds.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited May 2018

My chorus pedal (Digitech Hardwire CR7) is getting much more use since my band put an 80's set together, I do have it set pretty mild, but I run it in stereo into 2 Boss Katana combos. So it widens the sound nicely.

... the only thing I thought was even marginally usable in a wider setting were the mild chorus and mild phase sounds.
    That seems a fair assessment. Mild Chorus is seasoning, and used widely. Anything more is a special effect, and limited to one or two songs.
  • Well, after much humming and hawing I've settled on a simple oldie-but-goodie CE-2. I know it's not exactly the most subtle but I reckon with it mellowed out behind some crunchy drive it'll sound great.
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 20
    interesting topic.
    also on cover band, and looking for some modulation pedals. had a M5, but never got into it. then tried a zoom ms50g...same.
    looked at boss ms3 and line6 hx, but, im kinda lazy so, better stick with pedals.
    anyway, right now im looking for a nice chorus pedal. couple of songs use it more than any other mod fx (bryan adams, billy idol, etc)
    So, might start with the neunaber tri chorus. any experience with it live?