Will this be rubbish?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 3123
    Try the Peavey Millennium first.
    "It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • barrydbarryd Frets: 4
    Going to see the Peavy at lunchtime today.  Bloke sounds alright. Sounds like Bob Mortimer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 14427
    barryd said:
    Going to see the Peavy at lunchtime today.  Bloke sounds alright. Sounds like Bob Mortimer.
    You wouldn’t let it lie, would you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    barryd said:
    Going to see the Peavey at lunchtime today. 
    Any success?

barryd said:
    ... alright ... like Bob Mortimer.
    Interesting definition of *alright*. ;) 

You wouldn’t let it lie, would you?
    Very poor. Very poor indeed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Success!  Bought it.  Of course I have nothing to compare it to but it looks like a Bass guitar and sounds like a Bass guitar.  :#
    So I guess its a Bass guitar.  Was in better nick than I expected.  Chap seemed genuine enough.  He was prepared to separate the two but wanted £60 just for the guitar so I offered him £70 for the Guitar and amp and he agreed.  I dont think I have done too badly there.  Just got back in now and been playing with it and the amp.  Packs a bit of a punch that little amp.  I was surprised.   I might pass it on or not I dunno.  Could be useful for jamming I suppose.  Me fingers are hurting a bit after ten minutes though.  The Actions not too bad but not sure if or how it could be lowered slightly but its quite playable.

I just need to learn how to play the fecker now.  :o  Frets are a bit far apart.  

Thanks for all the support and help.  Really appreciated.

barryd said:
     I dont think I have done too badly there.
    Remind me never to haggle with you. ;)

barryd said:
    Just got back in now and been playing with it and the amp.  Packs a bit of a punch that little amp.
    More importantly, it does it without disintegrating into a terrible low frequency farting sound. Building small, low wattage bass amplifiers is surprisingly difficult.

barryd said:
    I might pass it on or not I dunno.  Could be useful for jamming I suppose.
    Unless or until you acquire a big bass amp, playing through the Rumble 15 will save you from playing the instrument too hard in a vain attempt to produce audible notes.

barryd said:
    Me fingers are hurting a bit after ten minutes though.
    Persevere. It will be worth it. 

Your calluses need to get a bit bigger than for wimpy little guitar strings. Also, training your hand to achieving even volume notes from hammer on and pull off techniques on bass guitar will increase your facility on guitar.

barryd said:
    The action's not too bad but not sure if or how it could be lowered slightly but it's quite playable.
    On first inspection, the action on a bass can appear extremely high compared to six string guitar. Do not trust your eyes. Use a gauge. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    If you are anywhere near south Lincolnshire bring it to me and I’ll happily do a setup on it to see if we can lower the action.

I would say you will probably get used to it and actually guitar and bass actions are different beasts.

Many thanks. Superb post FunkFingers.  Over a bottle of Vino, Ive messed on for about three hours tonight and recorded a few bits and pieces and my fingers are fine.  Burning a bit but nothing out of the ordinary.  have to admit though I used a pick and just generally followed root notes.  Is that punishable by death or just disownment?   

I bunged the bass through my Zoom guitar pedal and just used a Marshal Amp, bit of reverb and oddly a Chorus effect and it sounds.  Errr. Interesting but  100% better than the guitar did.  

Christ I am going to regret this but this this is my first attempt.  

Yes, I know I cant fecking sing.

edited June 7
    @barryd pick and root notes perfectly acceptable. Most important things are rhythm and timing - anyone can learn fancy bass lines but if it doesn’t lock in with the drums it will still sound shit and ruin a song. 

You are doing more than fine - keep up the good work sir 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Thanks.  Im really excited about learning the Bass.  Some say I should have learned the guitar properly first an all but bollocks to them. I can lose myself for 3-4 hours playing and recording stuff and it passes in what seems like minutes.  
    barryd said:
    Thanks.  Im really excited about learning the Bass.  Some say I should have learned the guitar properly first an all but bollocks to them. I can lose myself for 3-4 hours playing and recording stuff and it passes in what seems like minutes.  
    Honestly, that’s how I feel. I bass in an originals band, so rehearsing, gigging, recording etc. But at home sometimes I just enjoy mucking about with a range of instruments and stuff. 

Do what makes you happy mate - fuck anyone who thinks they know what you should and shouldn’t do if you’re happy.
    barryd said:
    I used a pick and just generally followed root notes. Is that punishable by death or just disownment?   
    Judging by the career of Adam Clayton, it is punishable by having to become a multi-millionaire. ;)
    Thanks guys.  I Cant believe I posted that on here last night.  Thats drink for ya!  :o  These smilies are weird by the way. I can see why people dont use their thumbs though this morning playing bass.  I did for about ten minutes yesterday and its killing me this morning.  Ill just have to do some experimenting but I quite like the idea of using the pick.  Thanks once again for all the help. 
    barryd said:
    I can see why people don't use their thumbs
    I use both of mine though not necessarily simultaneously.

LH thumb for occasional fretting of the lowest string. RH thumb for making a percussive transient sound of which Bridgehouse disapproves. 
    barryd said:
    I can see why people don't use their thumbs
    I use both of mine though not necessarily simultaneously.

LH thumb for occasional fretting of the lowest string. RH thumb for making a percussive transient sound of which Bridgehouse disapproves. 
    I never said I disapproved, just that it sounds shit
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Bridgehouse said:
     it sounds shit
    Only on a Gibson bass. ;)
    I spent a good two to three hours trying to get to grips with this Alien object yesterday and I love it.  Just put down a few easy chords and a couple of solos on the guitar and then started farting about with the bass over them and experimenting with different playing methods and effects.  I can get away using the thumb without destroying it if I dont bash it so hard and I had a go at Fingering (oh FFS  :# ) but I think I like the pick (For now),   

As for sound I tried it just plugged straight through the M Audio interface and it sounded shit so at the moment its through my Guitar Zoom G3 pedal with a Marshall amp effect with a bit of reverb and a bit of chorus and it sounds a bit 80s new wave.  I might have to experiment with a few effects, see what does what but of course these effects are all designed for lead guitar not a Bass. 

Im going to have a go at an old Tubeway Army number tonight (one of my favourite bands from when I was a kid) which features a lot of Bass so that should be my first real challenge.

Sounds like you need a cheapo bass multi FX!
    Maybe I do. However, had a right old long Jam tonight and its sounding ok so far through the Zoom pedal but Ive not scratched the surface.  I did a Tubeway army cover and the bass sounds great but feck me i made an arse of the vocals and for the first time ever I incorporated an ancient Casio Keyboard i inherited about 15 years ago.  Oh fecking dear.  I cant play the piano of course, at all but it was just bashing a few notes and a pitch change synth bit.

Great fun though.  I dont know if I am pissed enough to share.