Most musical non-standard HH wiring

What's Hot
Hi there

I'm after some ideas and recommendations for re-wiring an HH guitar. 
I have been considering the 21 tone Jimmy Page wiring.

What would people recommend for usability and musicality and why!?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    what kind of switch do you have LP toggle type or a strat-style blade or something more exotic?
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    edited May 2018
    Two wiring options I've had which I've found useful:

Ibanez 5-way: 1) neck series, 2) neck parellel, 3) two humbuckers in parallel (I think), 4) inside coils in parallel, 5) bridge series

And my current Les Paul, which has one phase switch and a series/parallel switch on the neck. With that pickup I prefer parallel to split, and that's the most useful bits of Jimmy Page wiring for me.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    lukemosse said:
    I have been considering the 21 tone Jimmy Page wiring.
    Double irony. 

Firstly, Schecter Guitar Research devised this wiring idea. Secondly, Page stopped using it over a decade ago when he was introduced to an early version of the Freeway six position selector switch.

You may wonder how Mr. Page manages with just six options instead of twenty one? The answer is that many of the so-called Page wiring coil interconnection permutations are either indistinguishable, of little use or both.

normula1 said:
    what kind of switch do you have LP toggle type or a strat-style blade or something more exotic?
    This will determine which trick wiring possibilities are practical.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    For me the modern Varitone on my 345 gives a really interesting array of tones especially when you factor in the tone controls. 
    From fat to thin and wiry all useable in rock jazz blues funk a good swiss army knife. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27586
    edited May 2018

You may wonder how Mr. Page manages with just six options instead of twenty one? The answer is that many of the so-called Page wiring coil interconnection permutations are either indistinguishable, of little use or both

I don't doubt that for a moment, but it could well be that the scheme results in a good "interface" compared to a six-way switch. 

A bit like having individual light switches for each fitting in your house, instead of a single rotary switch in the hall that selects every combination you actually use. (slightly silly example, I know) 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Lately I've been favouring a Tom Anderson Raven with a 3 way and two 'cut switches', one for each pickup.
    They are actually a series/parallel switch.

I mostly leave the bridge in series and the neck in parallel.
    Middle position is godly.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    I modded a Tele type to HH. Each HB has a 3-way for series, parallel and split. Then I had 2 addional 2-way switches for both HBs in series or parallel and in and out of phase. 
    I did it out of curiosity. Most of the options didn't add enough to warrant doing them in the first place. I'm now modding it to only have a 5-way giving the 3 normal HB options plus HB plus split options in between. Too many options is not a good thing.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom