So... what about Jet City?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 473
    edited October 9
    Very cool, thanks for the summary :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 235
    What do you mean when you talk about batty effects loops?  What's the "normal" practice for effects loops in other amps? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 4337
    I found the fx loop ok on the JCA50H but the only thing I used it for was return in 4CM. This allowed me to switch out the JAC50H preamp and run a fender twin model straight into the power amp section for clean tone. I needed this flexibility as the shared controls meant that I couldnt get completely clean cleans without sacrificing the distorted tone. Since the distorted tone is 80% of my set I ended up doing crunch and distortion with the 2 JCA channels and the modelled cleans.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 12471
    SteveF said:
    What do you mean when you talk about batty effects loops?  What's the "normal" practice for effects loops in other amps? 
    Normal practice is to have an effects loop either before or after the master volume, with a consistent level (usually instrument-level, but sometimes line level).

The loop on the 100H and 50H is between the main gain stages and the tone stack. This has a few effects:

1 - Although the level is nominally "line level", the actual signal level depends heavily on the gain control setting (ie more gain = more volume through the loop).

2 - Time-based effects (reverb and delay) will actually have their repeats and trails distort and compress slightly, because there is a certain amount of clipping that happens in the tone stack in addition to in the main gain stages.

3 - You can't boost the level using the effects loop, because all you're doing is driving the tone stack harder instead of hitting the power amp directly.

It's not a complete disaster, mind - it just means that you have to take these things into account when you set up your rig.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 119
    The JCA50H loop comes from the parent Soldano line.

It's fine as long as you use effects that can handle line level.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 9150
    I have a Morley loop level corrector which works perfectly with the big JC amps - I could run any pedals with it. 

I've had five or six JC amps over the years but I still have my favourite, my original 20h from years ago. 

I bought it back from the guy I sold it to and I've bunged in a Metro fx loop and a bright switch. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 29
    edited October 14
    Well, just got back from first rehearsal with the Custom 22. 

All I can say really is “wow”. Can’t believe the sound that comes out of this amp.

I run it through a 2 x 12 Marshall open backed cab and the sound is huge. I’m so impressed and can’t believe the price that these things sell at.

I’m blown away to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Count me into the "influenced by digitalscream to buy a Jet City" club. That's how I found this forum, searching Jet City info through google.

If it wasn't for your info comparing the 22H and 50H I probably would have bought the 22H. I ended up going for the 100HDM instead. Great decision!
    Count me into the "influenced by digitalscream to buy a Jet City" club. That's how I found this forum, searching Jet City info through google.

If it wasn't for your info comparing the 22H and 50H I probably would have bought the 22H. I ended up going for the 100HDM instead. Great decision!
    LOL, I'm clearly in the wrong career :D

Seriously, though, glad you're happy with it. Even years on, these amps are still insanely priced. I just don't understand why they're not more popular.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 930
    Have they stopped doing combos? Shame
    Lebarque said:
    I don't think so, they just don't sell particularly well over here so there's no point stocking them in the UK store.

Also, I edited my run-down post with a bit more info.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 33753
    Lebarque said:
    I know someone with a combo for sale if you’re interested. I think it’s the 22, but I can check.

My honest opinion is that they don’t sound anywhere near as good as the head and cab, and I’m a ‘combo guy’ normally.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 29
    edited October 20
    I’m really surprised that these amps aren’t more popular. I’ve used mine several times at rehearsal now and it has made me park my Mesa for the time being. It really does sound that good (to me).

This thing cost me £180 second hand. £180!! 20 watts is fine volume wise (we do have a very loud drummer) and it sounds amazing for that price.

I suppose the only “drawback” is the shared EQ for clean and distorted channels, but I found it so easy to dial in a sound, that it isn’t a problem for me.

Incredible value for money.
    I’m really surprised that these amps aren’t more popular. I’ve used mine several times at rehearsal now and it has made me park my Mesa for the time being. It really does sound that good (to me).
    I think it's the fact that people think they're "budget" in every sense just because they're cheap. Everybody who's had one knows they're not, but there's only so much you can do unfortunately.

I put a black grille on the front of my JCA50H, and I often get people asking me if it's a boutique amp. It totally blows their brains when I tell them how much they actually cost.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 1187
    The only niggle with my JCA20HV was the teedy front panel covering was wonky and did my crust, so I replaced it, its somewhere in this thread........they aregood value as there is no middle man needing to make a profit, you buy direct...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 1056
    edited October 24

Seriously, though, glad you're happy with it. Even years on, these amps are still insanely priced. I just don't understand why they're not more popular.
    I know a guy on another forum worked for a little while in a guitar shop, and they stocked them, and he said they weren't popular at all either. (IIRC) His theory was that most people who came into the shop had never even heard of Mike Soldano, so they didn't much care that a cheaper version of his amps was available. And then because of that, as you said above, because they're cheap these people assumed they must be crap.
    Dave_Mc said:

I know a guy on another forum worked for a little while in a guitar shop, and they stocked them, and he said they weren't popular at all either. (IIRC) His theory was that most people who came into the shop had never even heard of Mike Soldano, so they didn't much care that a cheaper version of his amps was available. And then because of that, as you said above, because they're cheap these people assumed they must be crap.
    Aye. Also, according to Lee Anderton, they stopped stocking them because there were "serious quality problems". That...confuses me.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 360

Aye. Also, according to Lee Anderton, they stopped stocking them because there were "serious quality problems". That...confuses me.
    Maybe it was the quality of the profit margin............
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    newi123 said:

Maybe it was the quality of the profit margin............
    At the time, the JCA50H was £529. That would put the profit margin at around £200-250 relative to the current dealer prices...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 1056
    edited October 24
    Dave_Mc said:

Yeah me too. Most people I've seen say they're pretty well-built for the price. One of the preamp shields on mine was rolling about inside the headshell when I got mine, and I couldn't get it to stay put without it pyoing-ing out a few seconds later, so I left it out in case it took out a valve the next time it shot out. But other than that (granted, I only use mine at home) mine's been fine.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 360
    For anyone interested in the quite rare 50w combo with the lucky 13 clean channel, one just popped up on the The Real UK Guitar / Amp / Gear Exchange on  FB - Nuneaton and £225.
  • Dave_Mc said:

Do you remember where you might have heard/read this? I'd wondered why Andertons don't stock them, but Thomann do. Seems like such a great affordable product line to be entirely absent from such a big store as Andertons.
  • I’m really surprised that these amps aren’t more popular. I’ve used mine several times at rehearsal now and it has made me park my Mesa for the time being. It really does sound that good (to me).
    I think it's the fact that people think they're "budget" in every sense just because they're cheap. Everybody who's had one knows they're not, but there's only so much you can do unfortunately.

I put a black grille on the front of my JCA50H, and I often get people asking me if it's a boutique amp. It totally blows their brains when I tell them how much they actually cost.
    Where did you get the black grille from, if you don’t mind me asking?
    Do you remember where you might have heard/read this? I'd wondered why Andertons don't stock them, but Thomann do. Seems like such a great affordable product line to be entirely absent from such a big store as Andertons.
    He replied to one of my comments on YouTube about Jet City, and said they'd never stock them again. It's the one time I've suspected him of not 100% telling the truth...they stopped stocking them at exactly the same time that their distributor did a blowout of all their stock, selling them to the public at half the retail price. Bit of a coincidence, that ;)

Where did you get the black grille from, if you don’t mind me asking?
    I emailed Doug @ Jet City and he shipped it to me from the States (in return for the usual tokens). That was a long time ago now, though. You can easily make one from the car radiator grilles you can pick up all over eBay and Amazon, though.
  • Where did you get the black grille from, if you don’t mind me asking?

I emailed Doug @ Jet City and he shipped it to me from the States (in return for the usual tokens). That was a long time ago now, though. You can easily make one from the car radiator grilles you can pick up all over eBay and Amazon, though.
    Ok great, thanks. I might look into that.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 6293
    I believe there may be a combo with a speaker upgrade on the classifieds right now, yes Ive just checked and yes there is. Bloody cheap too, gosh!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"