So... what about Jet City?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 435
    edited October 9
    Very cool, thanks for the summary :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 231
    What do you mean when you talk about batty effects loops?  What's the "normal" practice for effects loops in other amps? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 4230
    I found the fx loop ok on the JCA50H but the only thing I used it for was return in 4CM. This allowed me to switch out the JAC50H preamp and run a fender twin model straight into the power amp section for clean tone. I needed this flexibility as the shared controls meant that I couldnt get completely clean cleans without sacrificing the distorted tone. Since the distorted tone is 80% of my set I ended up doing crunch and distortion with the 2 JCA channels and the modelled cleans.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 11892
    SteveF said:
    What do you mean when you talk about batty effects loops?  What's the "normal" practice for effects loops in other amps? 
    Normal practice is to have an effects loop either before or after the master volume, with a consistent level (usually instrument-level, but sometimes line level).

The loop on the 100H and 50H is between the main gain stages and the tone stack. This has a few effects:

1 - Although the level is nominally "line level", the actual signal level depends heavily on the gain control setting (ie more gain = more volume through the loop).

2 - Time-based effects (reverb and delay) will actually have their repeats and trails distort and compress slightly, because there is a certain amount of clipping that happens in the tone stack in addition to in the main gain stages.

3 - You can't boost the level using the effects loop, because all you're doing is driving the tone stack harder instead of hitting the power amp directly.

It's not a complete disaster, mind - it just means that you have to take these things into account when you set up your rig.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 42
    The JCA50H loop comes from the parent Soldano line.

It's fine as long as you use effects that can handle line level.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 8458
    I have a Morley loop level corrector which works perfectly with the big JC amps - I could run any pedals with it. 

I've had five or six JC amps over the years but I still have my favourite, my original 20h from years ago. 

I bought it back from the guy I sold it to and I've bunged in a Metro fx loop and a bright switch. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • theimageofalltheimageofall Frets: 29
    edited October 14
    Well, just got back from first rehearsal with the Custom 22. 

All I can say really is “wow”. Can’t believe the sound that comes out of this amp.

I run it through a 2 x 12 Marshall open backed cab and the sound is huge. I’m so impressed and can’t believe the price that these things sell at.

I’m blown away to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter