Simple mods for a Tele Deluxe?

What's Hot
I bought a Black Dove Tele Deluxe about 6 years ago, and through all the comings and goings of guitars I've bought and sold since, it's the one that's stayed with me the longest. I'm bumping it up to Main Guitar, and with this prestigious promotion I figured I'd treat it to some upgrades. I've ordered a new white pearloid pickguard, Bare Knuckle Nantuckets, and a cup jack input with screws so it won't come loose anymore. I'm also struggling my way through finding new control knobs that aren't insanely expensive. 

What other simple mods do people recommend? I'd quite like to put better tuners on it but I'm opposed to anything that involves me drilling new holes, as my hand-eye coordination is appalling and there's too much scope for irreparable damage. (I may make the exception for a kill switch though!) Is a nut easy to change? Should I change the metal plate the saddles sit on or just the saddles? Are those Vibramate Bigsbys worth the hassle? Basically I'm fine with soldering, but not so much drilling.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12644
    VJIves said:
    I bought a Black Dove Tele Deluxe about 6 years ago, and through all the comings and goings of guitars I've bought and sold since, it's the one that's stayed with me the longest. I'm bumping it up to Main Guitar, and with this prestigious promotion I figured I'd treat it to some upgrades. I've ordered a new white pearloid pickguard, Bare Knuckle Nantuckets, and a cup jack input with screws so it won't come loose anymore. I'm also struggling my way through finding new control knobs that aren't insanely expensive. 

What other simple mods do people recommend? I'd quite like to put better tuners on it but I'm opposed to anything that involves me drilling new holes, as my hand-eye coordination is appalling and there's too much scope for irreparable damage. (I may make the exception for a kill switch though!) Is a nut easy to change? Should I change the metal plate the saddles sit on or just the saddles? Are those Vibramate Bigsbys worth the hassle? Basically I'm fine with soldering, but not so much drilling.
    No Bigsby is worth the hassle, imho.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    To me, if you like the guitar, then just refine it - otherwise there is the danger of throwing out the baby with the bath water.

So, talking about parts, then quality pots switch and jack whilst you are replacing the pickups. Depending on your setup/ how you get on with the bridge, shorter saddle height screws if the current ones feel uncomfortable.

However, probably the best thing a guitar can receive is a good setup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    Best (and only come to think of it) mod that I made to my Tele Deluxe was to shield it properly

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/99720/tele-deluxe-hum-and-shielding-now-solved#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    So, talking about parts, then quality pots switch and jack whilst you are replacing the pickups. Depending on your setup/ how you get on with the bridge, shorter saddle height screws if the current ones feel uncomfortable.
    I think changing the tuners is going to make a world of difference, I just have no idea which ones to go for.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    VJIves said:

I think changing the tuners is going to make a world of difference, I just have no idea which ones to go for.
    There are no other tuners which fit - the mounting screw locations are unique to those. There's nothing wrong with them anyway - if it's not staying in tune, the problem is something else...

As already said, if the wiring is like the standard Tele Deluxe, the wire run from the jack to the switch is totally unshielded, and replacing it with a shielded cable will make a big difference to the noise. The jack (not just the cup) is also worth upgrading to a proper US Switchcraft, but apart from that there's not a lot which needs doing to them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited May 2018
    VJIves said:
    Buy a set of six-in-line Schaller ST6.

For each tuner;
    • Unscrew each Fender/Schaller cover plate. 
    • Remove the Fender gear and post assembly. 
    • Leave the ferrule.
    • Insert the Schaller ST6 gear and post assembly.
    • Replace the Fender gear cover plate.

Be seeing you.
    Funkfingers said:

Buy a set of six-in-line Schaller ST6.
    Aren't the stock ones made by Schaller anyway?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    The original Seventies ones were BUT down to a price. 
    Be seeing you.
    Interesting! A friend of mine was talking highly of the Kluson Revolution range, any opinions on those?
    VJIves said:
    Interesting! A friend of mine was talking highly of the Kluson Revolution range, any opinions on those?
    Yes, interesting - I didn't know about these, they look like a direct fit. Construction looks the same as most modern cast-body heads.

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    Good call on shielding it.

There is also a locking version of the Kluson Revolutions. No idea if they are good, and probably more relevant to 70's Strat's, but the only locking ones I am aware of for this style of tuner.

I have some Schallers ST6's and some original late 70's F tuners and inside the covers they are identical.
    Today I changed the stupid input jack over to a cup with screws, and instantly I'm happier. 

I'd really like to go over to a three saddle bridge, is there a less expensive version of this: https://www.guitarexperience.co.uk/hardware-components/callaham-hardware/callaham-vintage-hardtail-bridge-with-enhanced-brass-saddles-specialized-for-bigsby-flat-mount-styled-vibratos.html

I'm finding it hard to find a short bridge that's a simple three screw like-for-like replacement. I reeeaaally don't want to drill anything new.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    I was going to say,that bridge  it’s a peculiar combination in that it’s three screw like a hard tail Strat bridge but 3 saddle like a Tele bridge, and with cutouts to allow a Bigsby.
    But now I need to find out who else makes them ! 
    Just coming back to this to say that I finally got around to putting in the Nantucket pick ups, and MY GOD they sound good. So crisp, and now I can put the old Black Dove P90s into my Bullet Mustang! Guitars are pretty cool, aren't they?