rate my thinline tele partscaster

What's Hot
I recently have been reading up on wide range humbuckers and also thinking about a long term thinline partscaster. I'm not a fan of huge pickguards. What do you guys think of this mockup?

I couldn't find a nice way to incorporate the switch, so I'm toying with the idea of two volume controls. I did add binding at one point, but it didn't look right to me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    telehack said:
    What do you guys think of this mockup? I couldn't find a nice way to incorporate the switch, so I'm toying with the idea of two volume controls. 
    I subscribe to the notion that form follows function. The positioning of the controls on a Musicman John Petrucci signature model guitar may not necessarily be the most elegant looking but they prove to be eminently practical in use. Logically, the *right* place for the controls is where YOU need them to be for comfort and ease of use.

Will two volume controls fulfil your requirements?

telehack said:
    I did add binding at one point but it didn't look right to me.
    A guitar is a machine for producing sound. What it looks like is secondary.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Use a Gibson switch behind the Tone knob
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    Looks nice to me - you could make an easy start with an MIM thinline Cabronita model, and then have it routed for WR pickups if you wanted to keep things simple?
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    Good shout on the thinline cabronita. The gold ones are tasty`. I made another version with a pickup switch. I got the idea for volume controls only from Richard Thompson who had a guitar with like 4 or 5 pickups and would just blend them together. Not sure how well it would work in practice.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Those Thommo guitars usually have three pickups. (Tele, Strat, P90.) 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Like the idea of no switch. Looks cool! If you build it we will come! (Field of dreams quotish:))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    A guitar is for playing as has been said already. My suggestion is to ditch the guard and fit a pre-wired (one with decent quality hardware) standard Tele control plate.

Looking 'cool' is self delusion, most punters don't know the difference between a six string and a bass. Do what you think will help your playing and good luck with the build...
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

A guitar is a machine for producing sound. What it looks like is secondary.
    But still important to most folk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I didn't choose WRHBs because they look cool. I chose them for the way they sound. I like partscasters because among other things, I'm picky about necks. Once you've bought a guitar, ripped out the pickups, changed the neck, etc. you might as well have started from scratch IMO. I do care about looks, not to look cool, but because I want a guitar to look good to me aeathetically. I also don't expect to do this any time soon. I build guitars by slowly acquiring parts over time.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    No tone on a tele? But how will you make it sound dull, mushy and non-twangy??
    >>No tone on a tele? But how will you make it sound dull, mushy and non-twangy??

Hah! I'm not dead set against. I was just toying with the idea...