suggestions wanted for a totally f*cked & overloaded speaker bass sound?

What's Hot
valevale Frets: 1052
... without totally f*cking & overloading my speaker. always a catch.

basically i want something i can DI that will give me a bass sound like this (start & end in partic around 00m10s & 3m00s), but 100x 'worse'.

i've got all species & mutations of distortions/overdrives/fuzzes but they break up in a more consistent linear & creamy & musical way. they don't do that completely craped out raspberry noise on certain frequencies. to be able to dial in those particular crapped out feqs would be a fun thing too. & bitcrusher variants not the same thing either.

boutique not an option on my budget. & maybe this is more an eq thing rather than a distortion thing. i've got a 6 band eq pedal (joyo mxr clone) but maybe i need parametric? any means to an end. have never tried a parametric in a stomp. & barely understood what i was doing with the desk one i have tried.

any ideas? thanks for your thoughts.
hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sounds like a small cheap speaker turned up too loud. Try a fuzz with a bias control, which will give that kind of sputtery failure noise. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fuzz Factory can make anything sound crap
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Turn up for some pub gigs and the sound guy will sort this sound out for you no problem...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Fuzz Factory
    That was my first thought too.

If that’s too expensive, get a cheap solid state guitar practice amp, and use the headphone output to DI. Seriously :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited June 2018
    ZVex Fuzzolo gets all wierd and sputtery.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• solarsolar Frets: 174
    Ibanez FZ7 with the Damage switch on 100%.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Any decent clone of a Shin-Ei FY-2 Companion fuzz should destroy the sound of a bass guitar in a very pleasing way.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Octave pedal (s)
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2193
    some kind of fuzz with Octave down, ... ?
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    Fuzz Factory can make anything sound crap
    thanks all for the feedback.

i made a fuzz factory as one of my first pedal builds, which (on reflection) was not very smart as when it was finished i couldn't tell if it was actually sh*t or i had just built it wrong.
    it got raided for bits almost immediately but was simple enough. the starve (stab) pot might be worth the rebuild to get this sound. or starve another diy fuzz i have lying around.

a diy fy2 i have (another first build), but i added a muff tonestack to make it sound less weedy. could add an on/off switch for that stack & see.

i have diy/cheapo analog octave down fuzzes (superfuzz mutants, joyo foxxx tone) but (as with  fy2) they seem too consistently gritty across frequencies, rather than just crapped in one place, & i was thinking about some way to just bracket or over/under select frequncies to crap.
    the bass just sounds choked until it bounces on that low note then it all splits apart.
    apparently that's why hooky started playing up high, to avoid that crappy drop out & get back into the mix (& you can't deny he made good with it. genius at work).

anyway, i've got a behringer feedbacker-distortion pedal on which you can dial in the harmonic you want to accentuate & hold. something like that but that craps out, splits & chokes, rather than holds.
    that's why i thought this might be a parametric thing. i'm chucking a word around i don't fully get the implications off (weekend research for me), but i remember the one i played with being like a wah pedal, you could bracket & include/exclude bandwidths quite precisely.

maybe one of those infront of a starved fuzzfac? will investigate.

edit. just remembered superfuzz & foxxx are octave ups. ok, will look into downs.
    ICBM said:

If that’s too expensive, get a cheap solid state guitar practice amp, and use the headphone output to DI. Seriously :).
    ok, will give that a bash. i think the midfi demo tape fuzz thing is basically that. simple single channel + cheap op-amp build. with some kind of eq to get the bracketing i want to play with.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Something in the Brassmaster family might work...there's a FuzzDog kit, and Malekko do a few variants.  Never tried one personally, but from the clips/vids I've heard/seen, they do seem to squash all their nastiness into a fairly narrow bandwidth.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    Something in the Brassmaster family might work...there's a FuzzDog kit, and Malekko do a few variants.  Never tried one personally, but from the clips/vids I've heard/seen, they do seem to squash all their nastiness into a fairly narrow bandwidth.
    thanks Darnweight. you may be onto something there. i just checked out the layout and it has a transformer, so it may be some mix of cocked-settable wah tonestack & grit. or transformer may be an octave up/down. looks interesting anyway.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Zvex Mastotron. I built a clone of one. It can fart your bass up real bad.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    Just about anything Devi Ever ever made. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    soma1975 said:
    I always wondered whether any of them worked properly - and given the build quality it was impossible to tell, really. Having tried two of the same model that both sounded shit in very different ways I'm still none the wiser...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

The ones I had were great for what they were, and I made a bunch of Soda Meiser clones for some friends many moons ago. The 'chaos' switch basically turns it mental and like a ZX Spectrum loading screen. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    WMD Geiger Counter might be worth a look?

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    edited June 2018
    soma1975 said:
    i have a huge list of separate & interconnecting devi layouts & schematics to experiment with whenever i get into a pedal making mode again. some idle & lonesome winter long-distant probs.
    but i think that (approaching the devi opus) was the point where i realised i all my playing time was disappearing down a time hole called 'diy pedal building' and decided to draw back. i am a writer player noisemaker whatever, first & foremost.

i keep meaning to buy a cheap devi (or a piece of her digital art, which i like a lot) to show support, but her shop outlet is sometimes here & sometimes not. 'unpredictable' is her calling card. she does what she does because she is who she is & i accept that. i like her as a character & i like what she is trying to do.
    i know a lot of people don't rate her &/or hold grduges over her past problems, but i'm a fan (& anything else is another thread really).

but i don't buy boutique pedals purely because they are usually priced beyond me. the reason i got into modding then building was to make the little i could afford go further.

actually devi does one called the 'Torn's Peaker' (aka 'torn speaker'), which may get me into the zone. so thanks for the reminder.
    She’s an out and out lunatic but I don’t feel her problems stem from being a fundamentally bad person like Vertex. More some severe depression allied to the rest of her ongoing gender reassignment woes.