Taylor Big Baby as a travel guitar?

Hi All, new to the forum, just been reading a few discussions and you sound like a really knowledgable friendly bunch!  I'm a guitar learner, always had a guitar around the house but never really developed beyond a few basic chords until I took a series of lessons a few years ago and got hooked.  I'm a late learner so I'll never be a good guitarist but I enjoy playing every day, so to my question.  I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks and want to take a guitar.  I previously bought a Washburn Rover but hated the sound so sold it.  I'm wondering what you think about me removing the neck on the Taylor (fixed with 2 screws) so I can put it in my hand luggage and then just screw it back on at the other end.  Any downsides to this? Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1645
    I think you'd be hard pushed to get any guitar into hand luggage even with neck off. Hand luggage sizes aren't that generous.
    What about a ukuele? or carry on a Steinberg Spirit under your coat lol?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• Just Googled Steinberg Spirit, thought it was a grand piano...... =)  I've got a 'Cabin Max' carry on and the body slides in like it was made for it.  I can stuff it with grits and socks so I won't lose any space....

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited June 2018
    I would imagine that repeated unfastening and fastening of the neck on a big baby would knacker the joint eventually. It doesn’t look anywhere near as robust as an electric bolt on neck design.

Someone here was talking about taking a Strat/Tele as hand luggage recently and didn’t  seem to think it was an issue.

Alternatively accept the limitations of a dedicated travel guitar or go without...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • nickbigsbynickbigsby Frets: 31
    I’ve taken my Taylor GS mini on several flights as hand luggage without any problems , Great sound and feel from a small guitar
  • mikemjmmikemjm Frets: 4
    I have taken both gs mini and baby across the world using Emirates, having no problems. I would nt rate your chances with Thomas cook air or Ryan air though, smaller over head space and they’d probably charge extra and insist it goes on the hold