Cash is still King

What's Hot
MtBMtB Frets: 922
Just amazed that the country hasn't put in any measures at ensure that this sort of foul-up couldn't happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44341070

I'd imagine that so as to cover themselves the government and/or credit card companies will issue some sort of statement saying that we should all carry at least two different types of credit or debit card in the future.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    My card worked in the cash machine so I got out enough to cover the weekend's bar bills. Just as well, the pub's payment machine didn't work.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    I used my card yesterday at the dentist without any problems. And I was paid for teaching work but that’s a bank transfer.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9583
    When I was at university in the 80s we sometimes cashed cheques in a pub as an alternative to going to a cashpoint. Buy a pint with a cheque for £20, barman gives you the change from £20 from the till and you’re sorted for a week (hey, it was the 80s). One Saturday afternoon, all the cashpoints in the area suffered some kind of breakdown. No problem, just take a chequebook out with you and get some cash at the pub. People who didn’t usually do this cottoned on and a usual student Saturday night was had by all. I was chatting to some bloke about this, and I joked “lucky we remembered our chequebooks, eh?”. Except instead of cashing a single cheque for the cashback thing, he was buying pints at the bar and writing a cheque for each individual pint. All night.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    Be it the Russians, Chinese or terrorists, or a technical blip, but one day the whole banking/card payment thing has the potential to collapse - Might be an hour or  a day or longer - No ATM machines working etc

Good idea to always have a spare sum (whatever amount that might be ) in cash to use as and when required - Supermarkets, petrol etc etc etc will not be able to sell you anything whilst the system is down so yes cash will be king during such a crisis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    "DoG"  help us if theres ever another carrington event ....
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    My poor old 84 year old Mum had to go and have a tooth out so a friend went with her and they went into Aldi so she could get her shopping on way home. She can't get there every week cos has leg ulcers and has to have the friend take her. So, they struggle round gertting all her shopping only to be told at the tils - cash only! She had to put nearly all her shopping back and go without for another two weeks!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    There is a limit to what people/shops would accept in cash, all depending on the item in question. Cash, like many things is subject to trust issues. For example, would the likes of @guitars4you  accept a bunch of fifties for that £3k Fender CS?

There was a time we used to buy cars in cash. We thought nothing of it, and comeback was practically non-existent.

The other problem with cash in the pocket, is that I spend it quicker. But overall, cash still has an important place, mainly for small transactions, because I now wouldn’t be in a position to buy big items for cash. £3,000 is a lot of notes.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I only ever use cash unless it's an online purchase, which often makes buying cars or even furniture funny. People on the tills don't seem use to dealing with cash these days and often count it slowly multiple times after they've spoke to their manager like I've tried to make payment with magic beans.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    underdog said:
    I only ever use cash unless it's an online purchase, which often makes buying cars or even furniture funny. People on the tills don't seem use to dealing with cash these days and often count it slowly multiple times after they've spoke to their manager like I've tried to make payment with magic beans.
    Haha you wouldnt believe the strife they give us! 

One fake £5 or a slight miscount and its in the office for a written warning. 

Though in our shop I do often get people pay for £150+ in cash, and often note a huge wad of 50’s in their wallet. So you’re not alone in paying cash even for big amounts! 

Can imagine furniture places not being used to it though. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I always carry a some cash usually a couple I few naked without it 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    skunkwerx said:
    underdog said:
    Haha you wouldnt believe the strife they give us! 

One fake £5 or a slight miscount and its in the office for a written warning. 

Though in our shop I do often get people pay for £150+ in cash, and often note a huge wad of 50’s in their wallet. So you’re not alone in paying cash even for big amounts! 

Can imagine furniture places not being used to it though. 
    Indeed! I can imagine the staff scratching their heads as to where they're going to find that five pence change after you've paid cash for say, a table, priced at £399.95.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266

/\ Down the back of the sofa?

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    fandango said:
    There is a limit to what people/shops would accept in cash, all depending on the item in question. Cash, like many things is subject to trust issues. For example, would the likes of @guitars4you  accept a bunch of fifties for that £3k Fender CS?

of course I would - unless you look like a drug dealing Russian oligarch - But I did see a guy at the HSBC bank this week trying to pay in 10K cash and all sorts of questions etc
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2342
    apart from online buying i only use cash, buying cars, furniture, guitars, even deposit for house purchase. these days some shops seem to get suspicious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    edited June 2018
    What's the reasoning behind paying cash for everything? Card is so much more convenient except in the rare instances like this where you might have to go draw some cash out.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    TTBZ said:
    What's the reasoning behind paying cash for everything? Card is so much more convenient except in the rare instances like this where you might have to go draw some cash out.

I don't like leaving money in the bank where various arms of the government can take it without asking. I once had CSA remove £2,700 from my account, it was a mistake they should have took £27.00 that was a fun week.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908

/\ Down the back of the sofa?

Good work!

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    fandango said:

of course I would - unless you look like a drug dealing Russian oligarch - But I did see a guy at the HSBC bank this week trying to pay in 10K cash and all sorts of questions etc
    10k is the tigger for money laundering reporting so pretty standard for a bank to ask questions ;)
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Nikc said:
    fandango said:

10k is the tigger for money laundering reporting so pretty standard for a bank to ask questions ;)
    they don't like hunny haycorns or thistles
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1335
    Nikc said:
    fandango said:

Why would you pay 10k in to a bank? You could go and get quite a decent guitar with it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom