Quitting the fags.. ECigs?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
So I quit fags like 3 or 4 months ago, I used the Nicorette inhilators, last week I ran out of carts and bought an ECig, its like a step backwards, like very backwards, has anyone here used ECigs to quit? did you quit the ecigs easily?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    robgilmo said:
    So I quit fags like 3 or 4 months ago, I used the Nicorette inhilators, last week I ran out of carts and bought an ECig, its like a step backwards, like very backwards, has anyone here used ECigs to quit? did you quit the ecigs easily?
    I gave up end of Feb.

Cold Turkey.

Every other day used to be a nightmare. Then once a week or so. Now, it's every now and then. I really thought about an ecig but decided to just pack it in. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    My wife tried ecigs, didn't take to them and still smokes cigarettes.

I smoked right up until having part of a lung removed. After that I gave up cold turkey. Well you would with a couple of tubes draining blood coming out of your side into plastic bags.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    robgilmo said:
    Well done on giving up.      I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself - I’d have thought the ecig is still a lot better for you than a real cig - just trying to reduce them and keep going with trying to quit.     Good luck!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    John_P said:
    robgilmo said:
    Well done on giving up.      I wouldn’t be too hard on yourself - I’d have thought the ecig is still a lot better for you than a real cig - just trying to reduce them and keep going with trying to quit.     Good luck!
    The most useful advice I was given was once you've quit, refer to yourself as a non-smoker, not an ex-smoker. 

That's harder to do when you're on the e-cigs..
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6870
    I bought a vype ecig but i found myself only using it in the works toilets now our new manager has banned smoke breaks.. 

I know a lot of people who have switched to the proper vape box things, but they’re now just vapers instead of smokers. So I’d say they’ve helped quit cigarettes but not helped in stopping completely just by using them. 

If all else fails, meth. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Quitting comes down to 2 things, willpower and habit. If you have the willpower to break the habit you will win, if you use vaping you're replacing one habit with another so you either end up with a supposedly less harmful habit or another habit to break. 
     I've noticed loads of mates place too much emphasis on the "addicted to nicotine" part thinking that's the whole problem when the routine/habit plays as big a part. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I quit about 6-7 years ago and a lot of my friends quit at the same sort of time, I went cold turkey while most of the others got vapes, they all still either use vapes, have gone back to fags or a mix of the two.

Its hard but giving up means just every time you want a fag, don't have one and it gets easier 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    My 2p's worth is when stopping smoking don't substitute with anything that has nicotine.  When people come and see me for hypnosis there are a few stories but one basically goes "I've tried to give up smoking by sticking nicotine into myself in every conceivable way imaginable and I'm back on the fags because inhaling burning tobacco is still the best way of getting nicotine." 
    The problem is that this habit is partially [we don't know how much] driven by nicotine, and the solution is going to require stopping all nicotine. There are of course other drivers of the habit -- I totally agree with @Flink_Poyd about that -- but it's like the people I see haven't had a chance to work through those while some form of nicotine stimulation has been present. 

For me, despite feeling 100% sorted as a non-smoker I'd still not chance smoking again because those old nicotine pathways are still present somewhere in my neuroanatomy and the last thing I need to do is fire them up again -- it would be like picking at a scab.  Good luck to all who are quitting smoking; there is a way out of every maze, and you will never, ever regret it.
  • drippycatdrippycat Frets: 139
    I passively smoked 2 woodbines before I got out of bed as a child, smoked 20-30 per day for around 20 years and spent the next 10 - 15 on patches, back on the fags, on patches, off the patches, on the fags, creeping out to the petrol station at 1 in the morning wearing a hat & gloves in the middle of summer to secretly buy a pack. A pretty hardened smoker, all in all. The longest I ever quit for was 4 months. Then I tried a vaper and that was 2 years ago & haven't had a ciggie since. I'm now on 0% nicotin vape juice. Yes, it would be nice to not even vape, but I'm not taking in the 4000 or so toxins that you get in tobacco and feel a hell of a lot better. I know what an addiction feels like and how hard it is to quit. But vaping (get a box mod, those little pens often put people off because they aren't strong enough) works the best for me because it fools your addiction into thinking it's being fed. A bit like methadone? I have no idea.
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    drippycat said:
    I passively smoked 2 woodbines before I got out of bed as a child, smoked 20-30 per day for around 20 years and spent the next 10 - 15 on patches, back on the fags, on patches, off the patches, on the fags, creeping out to the petrol station at 1 in the morning wearing a hat & gloves in the middle of summer to secretly buy a pack. A pretty hardened smoker, all in all. The longest I ever quit for was 4 months. Then I tried a vaper and that was 2 years ago & haven't had a ciggie since. I'm now on 0% nicotin vape juice. Yes, it would be nice to not even vape, but I'm not taking in the 4000 or so toxins that you get in tobacco and feel a hell of a lot better. I know what an addiction feels like and how hard it is to quit. But vaping (get a box mod, those little pens often put people off because they aren't strong enough) works the best for me because it fools your addiction into thinking it's being fed. A bit like methadone? I have no idea.
    Pretty much the same story, its hard to kick the vape habit but feel that its much better than the fags
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    It took me a few years and a few attempts to give up, and everyone is different in their approach and what worked for them. For me, the only thing which really worked was simply to stop putting them in my mouth and setting fire to them. 

All I would say is that one of the singers in my band went from being a very moderate smoker to absolutely caning a vape box, and he tells everyone he's given up smoking. Apart from the as yet unexplored consequences of coating your lungs with melted down boiled sweets for hours every day, his singing has gone to shit. 

He's lost about a third of an octave at the top end, he has no vocal stamina any more and his pitch accuracy has become so bad we've had to drop eight or ten songs of his from the set.

He refuses to accept he has a problem, but he is inches away from me firing him, he's just not earning his keep any more.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3436
    That's the problem , its the habit, and I dont want to be a vaper, I cant afford to smoke a vape and I dont want the addiction anymore, it gets tiresome after a while when the realisation sets in that that's what it is, an addiction. Im going to go this week without the Ecig or inhilator, the problem with the inhilator is I can smoke it in work because it doesnt produce any smoke. I might keep a patch on but Im on stage three with the patches anyway so that's not the end of the world. I might have to bring some snacks into work with me!
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Replacing one habit/addiction with another, just stop.....it's not easy, find something else to do when you would smoke, it gets easier in time...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I went from Smoking to ecigs and found my chest was hurting using them so went back to real cigarettes.

Then went cold turkey - which i found much easier than using the ecigs and less painful.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    When I went cold turkey my hardest times were in the pub and driving, with two young kids I simply stopped going to the pub for a while, driving was harder, I have developed a habit for sugar free chewing gum which reduces my over whelming urge to run other motorists through with a bayonet which came on when I quit.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    Stopped smoking about 10years ago at an Alan Carr Eayway Clinic. Never had a single craving since that day. The philosophy is based around nicotine addition. Substitutes like vapes ,patches ,gum etc just feed that addiction. IMHO same goes for the habit excuse.non smokers don’t feel the need to put a plastic tube in their mouths every half an hour.im sure ex heroine addicts don’t get the urge to stick a needle in their arm.They did it because they had to.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Gave E cigs a really good go. They leak constantly replacing wicks, puffing on it 24/7. This was 3 years ago, they may have improved.

Went back to 4mg nicotine gum and the odd fag only with a pint.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Zoolooter said:
    Gave E cigs a really good go. They leak constantly replacing wicks, puffing on it 24/7. This was 3 years ago, they may have improved.

They have, massively. I quit smoking using Alan Carr's book, worked really well. Then stupidly started again a year later due to some pretty huge changes going on in my life, not good and i reached out for the fags. Tried to quit after a while but really struggled so as a last resort bought a cheap ecig. 

Obviously it's better if you can just use will power, but i do actually enjoy vaping, and after moving on to a proper set up its night and day different to the cheap 'starter' ecig kits. I will quit one day if it starts becoming unenjoyable (as smoking did) but for now i'm happy. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Just quit. Sod the substitutes
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I had to go cold turkey. I found the gum helped. But I had the chance to have four weeks to myself. So that was the perfect window for me, nobody to snap at, no chance of going out drinking etc.
    Another thing that helped me was concentrating my efforts on something else. For me weight and exercise. I forgot about the fags after a while. 
    Keep at it mate you'll get over them! 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.