Am I going to kill myself with an amp kit?

What's Hot
Thinking about this as an option if a 5E3 purchase doesn't come through: https://modulusamplification.com/Tweed-deluxe-kit-12-Watt-Output-P2173361.aspx

I've done some house electrics (wiring up sockets), consumer electrics (plugs, fuses) and soldering (guitars, brass models) before, but the whole 'DEADLY VOLTAGES EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF' is worrying me a bit.

Has anyone done this? Any anecdotes to share?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Just take appropriate care and think about your safety before putting your hands in the chassis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Ask mike @Modulus_Amps he will help you all he can... really nice guy to deal with...

Ive built a couple of his amps and I’m still here! :) 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    edited June 2018 tFB Trader
    i built my first amp from a kit then did scratch builds to my own taste,  use chopsticks to poke around if you have to, if you're careful it's a great little project and so satisfying

Mine still work which is good,  a tweed build is next, I'll get parts from modulus too
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    i built my first amp from a kit then did scratch builds to my own taste,  use chopsticks to poke around if you have to, if you're careful it's a great little project and so satisfying

Mine still work which is good,  a tweed build is next, I'll get parts from modulus too
    Go on @customkits make this instead, listen to your inner voice of doom...
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    no, you really should not kill yourself with one, the point of raising the dangers is that is makes you more careful. it is not the same as building 9v pedals that are pretty safe in that respect. There are things you can do to make sure the amp is safe to work on after powering it up.

That is my most popular kit,  I have sold hundreds all over the world, if you get stuck with it I am happy to help you along the way. drop me a pm if you want to discuss it more.

Cheers
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader

Go on @customkits make this instead, listen to your inner voice of doom...
    That looks like a beast what's it based on and are there any sound clips
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited June 2018
    I hate even changing the valves out! -- or sticking my hand round the back with a wet cloth to wipe spiders and their debris out...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Seriously, take your time, be a bit organised, use a bit of common sense, follow the instructions, seek (qualified) advice when you’re not sure, show appropriate respect for the mains/HT bits, and you’ll be fine.

None of this stuff is rocket science and the people who put these things together in factories back in the ‘50s, ‘60s, and ‘70s didn’t have PhDs, they just followed a well documented set of procedures and checked their work carefully which is exactly what you’ll be doing if you work from a well designed kit with decent instructions.

I built an Ampmaker SE5a, it was hugely rewarding to do, great fun bringing it to life, and I ended up with a good little amp!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...