Application forms, equal opportunities, etc.

What's Hot

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    It’s only the Demonstrates... section that jumps out at me for a STAR answer. The rest seem to be looking for facts (like experience of group teaching, music college diploma), but I wouldn’t discount using that approach for something like “Ability to communicate in a professional manner...” for instance.
    I see, well its important I get that last bit right then. For the communication part I've just said about talking to parents and keeping them informed, and as I'm with the RGT they do the graded exams and stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The application form is nearly done and I'm just checking over stuff, spelling errors, grammar, etc. I contacted the school yesterday and they said I can use WordPad, and it doesn't matter if the tables are slightly mis-aligned as long as they can read the information. Should be sent in shortly.

As I have to email it in I don't expect to just attach it to a blank message and hit send? I need to write a covering letter type thing don't I surely?

And this is more hypothetical as its beyond my control but what would I wear to a potential interview?

As the job isn't for an accountant or office I wouldn't need to wear a suit would I? Its an odd one for music type jobs I don't know what the hell to wear, a shirt and smart trousers perhaps?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    You probably don't need to do a long covering email like you might with a CV as they will be scoring the application. Something short and polite should cover it. 
    Schools , I think, tend to have dress codes for teachers so ideally something that complies with that but smart/ made an effort should cover it. In theory it's not a thing that should make any difference at equal opps interviewing but,  obviously, makes some kind of subliminal difference. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    You probably don't need to do a long covering email like you might with a CV as they will be scoring the application. Something short and polite should cover it. 
    Schools , I think, tend to have dress codes for teachers so ideally something that complies with that but smart/ made an effort should cover it. In theory it's not a thing that should make any difference at equal opps interviewing but,  obviously, makes some kind of subliminal difference. 
    So something like?

Dear [whoever I need to address it to]

I have read your vacancy for [job title] with great interest and am attaching my application form for the position.

I would welcome an interview opportunity to discuss this further

Yours sincerely

[Email signature]

I'm not applying for a classroom teacher role I would expect it to be in music rooms teaching either one-to-one or small groups. Can't imagine wearing a suit/smart attire for that. 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 322
    Cover email looks good. Lots of excellent advice above on the other stuff.

• Schools , I think, tend to have dress codes for teachers so ideally something that complies with that but smart/ made an effort should cover it. In theory it's not a thing that should make any difference at equal opps interviewing but,  obviously, makes some kind of subliminal difference. 
    I'm not applying for a classroom teacher role I would expect it to be in music rooms teaching either one-to-one or small groups. Can't imagine wearing a suit/smart attire for that. 
    Day to day in that role, attire probably won't be an issue. However, I wouldn't turn up at the potential interview in jeans and a t-shirt. Smart casual at least would be probably advisable.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...

Day to day in that role, attire probably won't be an issue. However, I wouldn't turn up at the potential interview in jeans and a t-shirt. Smart casual at least would be probably advisable.
    Maybe cos I read it was a casual contract basis it gave me ideas I didn't have to wear a suit. Lol.

I wouldn't wear jeans anyway, I was thinking a smart shirt, but with no tie, sleeves rolled up maybe. Smart trousers and shoes.
    So something like?

I have read your vacancy for [job title] with great interest and am attaching my application form for the position.

Yours sincerely

[Email signature]

Assuming it's a large school I suspect the email will only get read by the admin person but always good to be polite and clear so I think that's fine. You might want to include your contact details in your email signature ( if that admin person has to contact you for some reason might as well make life easier for them).

I've never worked in a school but I've worked in parts of the public sector for nearly thirty years and scored hundreds of job applications and interviewed dozens of people and the covering letter has only been important if it contains something different ( such as  a need for access for a wheelchair user interviewee). 
    So something like?

Yours sincerely

[Email signature]

Assuming it's a large school I suspect the email will only get read by the admin person but always good to be polite and clear so I think that's fine. You might want to include your contact details in your email signature ( if that admin person has to contact you for some reason might as well make life easier for them).

I've never worked in a school but I've worked in parts of the public sector for nearly thirty years and scored hundreds of job applications and interviewed dozens of people and the covering letter has only been important if it contains something different ( such as  a need for access for a wheelchair user interviewee). 
    I don't actually have a signature so I don't know why I put that lol. But they may have trouble reading some of the text on the form (table formatting) so I'll put my contact details on.

All I know is its a secondary school, don't know how large it is.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    Good luck with it and I hope you’ve found some of the replies useful.
    Good luck with it and I hope you’ve found some of the replies useful.
    Thank you, all I can do is pray once submitted! It'll be out of my hands after its gone in.

Thanks to everyone else, its been a while since I applied for a job and if I do well to get to the interview stage then I'm in with a chance.
    Just to update you all I didn't get any offer for interview so it looks like this one is a non-starter. (2 weeks have passed since the closing date.) Thanks for all the help though and any future applications I do I will be sure to read back and follow some of the pointers on here. Hoping to find a role soon.
    For some reason I've now seen the job readvertised again, I wonder if whoever got appointed a few weeks ago quit already. Is it worth me applying again or just contacting the school to find out why I wasn't successful the first time round?
    If you can get any feedback it’s worth having. I’d guess that they didn’t appoint anyone which probably means they got things a bit wrong somewhere. 
    edited July 2018
    They definitely received my application about a month ago though so they would have called by now (the repost went up earlier today). Seems strange they're hiring someone right before the summer school holidays. Most academic roles start looking in September.

Maybe I'll just send a quick email to ask if they'd still consider me? Or is that sounding too desperate?
    They definitely received my application about a month ago though so they would have called by now (the repost went up earlier today). Seems strange they're hiring someone right before the summer school holidays. Most academic roles start looking in September.

Maybe I'll just send a quick email to ask if they'd still consider me? Or is that sounding too desperate?
    Can’t hurt I guess. When I was appointing people I wouldn’t have offered feedback on an application but if someone had asked I’d have offered something even if it was a bit vague. 
    Follow up email has been sent, nice, short and polite. Will eagerly await a reply. (even if its just a polite fuck off).
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    my basic rule for reapplying for jobs when I've been unsuccessful is if they've had the courtesy to tell me I've been unsuccessful and it says previous applicants need not apply then I respect that. If they haven't had the courtesy to inform me, then I will reapply even if says previous applicants etc. I'm sure I'll be no more successful 2nd time round, but if they lack the courtesy to let me know, I'm not gonna show them any.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

They did say originally if I haven't heard after 2 weeks of the closing date I've been unsuccessful but I don't know what happened with my application, if it was received or read, etc.

Also they've not given much time for people to apply. The readvertisement went up on Friday and the closing date is this Wednesday. 

By the looks of it this doesn't sound like the type of company someone wants to work for!
    They did say originally if I haven't heard after 2 weeks of the closing date I've been unsuccessful but I don't know what happened with my application, if it was received or read, etc.

Also they've not given much time for people to apply. The readvertisement went up on Friday and the closing date is this Wednesday. 

By the looks of it this doesn't sound like the type of company someone wants to work for!
    That's quite odd. At a guess they have someone in mind and they are giving just long enough for him/ her to send in their application and so they can say they followed all their processes.