Advice wanted: Best Compact Reverb pedals with MIDI control?

BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4780
Hey all, as the title suggests I'm looking at possibly acquiring a reverb pedal but would need it to be more compact than a Strymon BigSky and have MIDI control, shortlist includes:

Source Audio Ventris
Meris Mercury 7
Free The Tone Ambi Space

I can't think of any others but other suggestions are welcome of course, I love the Meris the most out of these based on demos, however there is no specific Spring preset. Can any users chime in on their experience of getting in the spring ball park?!

Cheers,

Al

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Mercury 7 beats all, and by a distance. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4780
    edited June 2018
    Cheers mate, its definitely my favourite out of the shortlist. Whats it like for a spring type sound? Don't need proper vintage accuracy just a decent ball park!

The ultraplate can be manipulated to get you in the ballpark, certainly. 
    Cool, that's reassuring to know.... Think that's my mind made up, the demos sound unreal online. 

And to be honest, it’ll still surprise you in person. It’s absolutely incredible. 
  • Mercury 7 beats all, and by a distance. 
    Not arguing, Gav, but what makes you say that? Interested in your reasoning because the Merits really intrigues me. The Ventris is fully featured though and I'd imagine it'd take a lot to be beaten? I've not tried either, so this is based solely on what I know of both pedals. 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    It’s just it’s fidelity and sheer depth of the thing. The sounds are just spectacular, and you can manipulate everything. You just have to hear it. 
    edited June 2018
    I have to be say as well, aside from the demos which sounded amazing, I'm a massive fan of the soundscapes on Blade Runner. One of my fave films of all time, the fact they modelled this after the gear Vangelis used sold me!!

It’s hars to articulate. Perhaps @teetonetal can elaborate 
  • Thanks @GavRichList. It sounds fantastic in the demos, I really need to try one in the flesh. I'm looking for a pedal version of my Valhalla verbs, which are great. That Blade Runner style verb really appeals to me. I was a big fan of the Neunaber reverb, Im hoping the Meris could get as good and better.

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I had the Neunaber Wet. It was great. One of my favorite Reverbs, though I din't like the interface or way the presets worked with the EXP controller. Doesn't hold a candle to Mercury 7.

The sound is just huge, it moves, it morphs, it has a bunch of options to make the modulation modulate in a different way. It's just beautiful.Put it this way, you can pick a single note and just listen to the reverb tail and be transfixed by what you are hearing. It's incredible. No other reverb has done that for me.
  • Doesn't hold a candle to Mercury 7.
    Thanks @Teetonetal, that's good to know. Do you mean in terms of sound and tone? I really liked that the Neunaber sat back in the mix and just complimented your signal. All the demo's of the Mercury just give examples of a really high mix, which is not really what I'm looking for. I've no doubt it's a great unit, but be interested to know if it ticks those boxes for me.

edited June 2018
    Just read the op. If you want a spring sound, then the m7 is not it. It does hall and Modulated space. It sounds awesome at all mix settings, though it excels at high ambient stuff where you want movement in the tail.

The wet does do spring. It's ok but a bit thin. Doesn't have midi control it has presets via the exp controller.

If you want spring sounds plus midi then the source audio or boss rv500 would be good choices.

Doesn't hold a candle to Mercury 7.
    Thanks @Teetonetal, that's good to know. Do you mean in terms of sound and tone? I really liked that the Neunaber sat back in the mix and just complimented your signal. All the demo's of the Mercury just give examples of a really high mix, which is not really what I'm looking for. I've no doubt it's a great unit, but be interested to know if it ticks those boxes for me.
    Yes. I think so. 
  • Thanks @Teetonetal. Sorry I raided your thread, @Boromedic .

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326

Boss RV-500? It's still pretty small!

The Ventris would be my choice off that list. I LOVE SA's pedals.

Just read the op. If you want a spring sound, then the m7 is not it. It does hall and Modulated space. It sounds awesome at all mix settings, though it excels at high ambient stuff where you want movement in the tail.

The wet does do spring. It's ok but a bit thin. Doesn't have midi control it has presets via the exp controller.

If you want spring sounds plus midi then the source audio or boss rv500 would be good choices.

Cheers dude, it's not a 100% deal breaker tbh but I'll bear it in mind. All the other stuff it does sounds awesome so I may just try it first, the Ventris looks/sounds good too, but the M7 sounds better to me on the vids. As long as I can get something along them lines then that will do me! Thanks for the info though, much appreciated.

Thanks @Teetonetal. Sorry I raided your thread, @Boromedic .
    No worries mate, glad you got the info you wanted, not a problem :)

Boss RV-500? It's still pretty small!

The Ventris would be my choice off that list. I LOVE SA's pedals.

Cheers, but it's still too big! I avoided the BigSky for the same reason otherwise I'd probably have tried that first, going to go M7 probably then the SA if that fails! Thanks though ;)