Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special/Classic - opinions?

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
Hello all,

Any particularly strong opinions on these?  Reliability?

I play jazzy/bluesy/rock and fancy something new.  I'd definitely be looking at pre-owned and wondered if the models changed much over the years?

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Used a classic for the last 6 years with no problems at all. It’s done everything from restaurants and bars to theatres and big festivals. I’ve played almost every concievable style of music with it and it’s performed flawlessly. Cracking amps. Heavy but awesome. I prefer the drive channel on the older 50/ 100 version but went for the newer one for venue versatility. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3723
    Thanks, @rossyamaha - the new model is still over ten years old, isn't it?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2439
    Not sure. Certainly not a new amp but they’re rock solid so you shouldn’t have a problem. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I wonder how many @ICBM sees on a regular basis?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    I loved mine. Only sold it because it was too nice to chuck in the back of my car with the PA and everything else. I was constantly worried about scuffing it up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had the 1x12 Classic, the 2x12 Classic and the Short Head Classic. My favourite was the short head mainly down to how compact and light it was compared to how heavy the combos are.

I used all versions exclusively with pedals as I found the drive channel sounded muddy and congested, probably due to the fact I couldn't get them up loud enough to where the drive channel would open up a bit.

The clean channel is one of the best I've heard on any amp and they take pedals as well as any amp I've heard as well.

Thanks, @kennedydream1980 - I predominantly want it for cleans, although would quite like to have a drive channel at hand.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    Classic and Special are very different amps due to EL84 v 6L6 output stage. I had a Classic Head. Lovely amp, exceptional build quality and great Fender style tones. 

Downside is the weight.

The Combos appear s/h fairly frequently and are very good value but they weigh as much as a dwarf star.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I wonder how many @ICBM sees on a regular basis?
    Regular - none.

There's one Special I've seen more than once, once for a broken reverb unit and once to do the mod (I forget the online name) which involves swapping the gain and volume pots on the dirty channel to make it sound like the clean channel. That's it...

They're very well-made and reliable, like most Mesa amps. Personally I prefer the sound of the Classic to the Special, but it does weigh quite a lot more! And the Special is not exactly light.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Any thoughts on a good price? The one I’m looking at is quite old. 

My band, Red For Dissent
    I sold my 100w Head for £950 last year. It was in pristine condition and was no more than 3 years old.

You often see the 1x12 and 2x12 combos hanging around at £850.

I've never seen one for less than £750.
    Thanks, @exocet - sadly can't see any that cheap at the moment, and the one I've lined up is a wee bit more :(

My band, Red For Dissent
    There were quite a few around last year which had a bearing on the price point of my amp. I agree looking now, I can only see a combo on EBay for £1100. They won't get that much for it....famous last words!
  • exocet said:
    There were quite a few around last year which had a bearing on the price point of my amp. I agree looking now, I can only see a combo on EBay for £1100. They won't get that much for it....famous last words!
    There’s two at that price and they won’t sell. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Proud owner of the Lonestar classic head. Amazing amp. 

Everyone should own one.
    @lonestar ;

Ever tried the Special combo?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    @lonestar ;

Ever tried the Special combo?
    No mate, I wanted the 6L6 model. The special, from what ive heard, is amazing too. 

Itll do everything from crystalline cleans to rock, the whole time retaining that big fat tone it’s known for. 

• camfcamf Frets: 1190
    I've had the Special, which was a decent amp, but I think the Classic is a far superior creature. If I had the chance, I'd definitely try and get a Classic. But I wouldn't buy a Special again. It sounded okay, but not great.  
    @camf I think I need to cool my jets for now. Buying blind has burned me too many times!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 844
    edited June 2018
    Fwiw you will ALWAYS sell a Lonestar. It might hang around for a short time but they always sell. Buy it and enjoy it, you never know ,it could be your soulmate!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life