Friedman Runt 20 v Victory Sheriff 22 v Morgan MVP23 v Jackson Ampworks El Guapo v Bogner Telos?

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
Bit of a random list but I'm after a small sized (but not necessarily lunchbox size) head for my rock covers band and these are the options that have jumped out so far.

Any thoughts on the above (in particular the Morgan or Jackson as I don't know much about those brands)?  Or anything I might have missed?  Thought about the mini jubilee or new dsl20 but fancy trying something a bit different.

Two channel would be nice but not really that much of an issue.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Budda SuperDrive 
    Friedman Dirty Shirley

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Its worth adding the Mesa Mini Rectifier to your list, i use one in a rock covers band (amongst other bands) and it's spot on. Very versatile, there are a few other guys on here using them too and they seem to like them. 
  • sratosrato Frets: 24
    I've had the Runt 20 since it was released.  Best amp I'v ever had.  The clean channel has a huge headroom and sounds as good as a Fender amp, which was a surprise to me.  The crunch sound is beyond words.  Highly recommend it.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    Friedman runt or Dirty Shirley
    Both great........more headroom than you would think on the DS especially a later one with the 3 position gain switch
    Runt is very good VFM because it's PCB but doesn't make a bit of difference to the sound
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    The Morgans look and sound great. I tried a PR12 two/three months ago and was very, very impressed. If it weren't for the price ..... 

Still if the MVP23 is as good as the PR12, I suggest you won't be disappointed.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    The Dirty Shirley is a great no fuss old school rock amp which would do the job. The Runts are also great but a little more modern sounding but again would do the job.

Note Friedman and Morgan are both made by boutique amp distribution and build quality is great.
  • LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
    edited June 2018
    I've got a Runt and think it sounds fantastic - I've fallen in love with the clean channel all over again and as people have suggested the dirt is great. It goes from a mild breakup through to early thrash naturally - and you can push it over the edge fairly easy with a TS. It sounds bright and warm with a Klon-clone, and I've got an SD-1 on the way to see that too.

Remember it's also got a built-in power sink and XLR out for silent recording - or in my case, just routing to a small mixer and out into a set of headphones.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    With that title, you need a Kemper !
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    I have played most of the ones listed and ’currently’ own one of them.
    I haven’t played a Runt, but would second all of the dirty Shirley love above.

I have played the Morgan a few times and also both the Victory 22 and the bigger one, and they were all nice to okay but not must haves.

However the Telos is just a joy every time, such a big sound from a small head and the schizo switch (whilst not to everyone’s liking) is such a quick and easy way to give you a very different sound. Previously owned the Helios and I think the Telos is very similar but more fun...

It currently sits in a rack amongst some other fine amps and is up there for either the first or 2nd most used.

• EvildurkaEvildurka Frets: 351
    Runt is an excellent amp. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks guys.

I’ve played the runt and mini DS before and liked them both.  At the time wanted mor versatility but either would suit me perfectly.

Were the posts above talking about the DS mini or the full size DS?

I love channel one on my Uberschall Twinjet though which is driving me towards the Telos.  That and the two master volumes but I guess a clean boost pedal would basically do the same thing...
    @edbolivar have drooled over the amps you’ve sold in the past.  What is the competition for the telos at the moment?
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Just seen how much the Friedmans are - so Komet 19 all day and all night :-)
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)

@CHrisP86 ;
    Currently it lives above an X Amp

https://imgur.com/a/qX9wyI4

And on on the other side of the room I have a Two Rock Classic Reverb Sig and Matchless Independence and Bogner Shiva.

I run the Telos through the 4x12 with a head switcher and the others through different 2x12s
    Awesome!  I’ve not played an X but really like the idea behind it.  Sounds like it would be my kind of amp.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Dont forget MK V 25  -  my current goto - 6 voicings  - classic cleans through to djent  ...

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The Engl ironball is another option.  Great sounding, and versatile amp
    I keep drifting on to guitar guitars website and hovering over the telos buy now pay next year.

Or rather buy now, still can’t afford next year...
    My advice is that profligacy brings it’s own rewards, so do it :)
    I decided that the Bogner was just too much to commit to at the moment so I’ve gone for the Runt. Probably would have tried the El Guapo but it didn’t seem to be available on finance. Runt should be here tomorrow!