Going loopy!

What's Hot
ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Thinking of buying my son a looper pedal since I think it would be useful to him playing in the cafes in France and for composing?

Is the basic Boss RC-1 worth getting or should I save for something better?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    TC Electronic Ditto X2. It manages to be simple AF to use and also cram in a few interesting features such as reverse and half speed. 

Ive Tried tonnes of loopers and X2 has always been my favourite. 
    How very rock and roll
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ecc83 said:

Thinking of buying my son a looper pedal since I think it would be useful to him playing in the cafes in France and for composing?

Dave.

In answer to your question the Boss RC-1 is a very good basic looper. I had the previous model and used it for years. I now use an Ditto X2 as I play in stereo and like the reverse function.

For another £30 the RC-3 allows you to store 99 loops for recall (these can be audio) plus there's some basic drum loops. Not sure if these features are relevant.  Plus it's all in a compact pedal.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    My main reason for advising against the Boss ones is the amount of doubke stomping you have to do. I think you can purchase a separate footswitch to do that but then it’s extra cash. 

Most loopers have an element of double stomping but the Boss ones seem to rely heavily on it and it’s a big “learn” to overcome when you’re just getting into the looping thing. 
    How very rock and roll
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    edited June 2018
    The big advantage of the RC1 is the looper ‘circle’ shows you where you are in the loop.

The RC3 adds brilliant saving options, and thats the one I own (along with a EHX 95000), and the one Id recommend
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    If it's being used live, you need a dedicated stop switch. Should be then most important feature you look for.
    My main reason for advising against the Boss ones is the amount of doubke stomping you have to do. I think you can purchase a separate footswitch to do that but then it’s extra cash. 

Most loopers have an element of double stomping but the Boss ones seem to rely heavily on it and it’s a big “learn” to overcome when you’re just getting into the looping thing. 
    The basic Boss pedal is a doddle to use though. I have two left feet and I got on with mine for years.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Thanks chaps. Looked at a few reviews and especially for live work the Digitech Jam man Solo X1 was highly recommended but I don't have a Scooby! The geek in me homed in on the USB port! Son has a Soundcraft 24 bit USB mixer and Samplitude Pro X3 so he is well into home recording but does a lot of live stuff, mainly a duo but a band as well sometimes.

Dave.

• jonnygreentreesjonnygreentrees Frets: 671
    edited June 2018
    Does he live in France? If not that's an oddly specific aim!  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    edited June 2018
    I have the Digitech JamMan SoloXT and can recommend it as a reliable, competent looper pedal.

For live use, a seperate footswitch for stop (normally a double-press) and loop up/down (otherwise involving bending down and a finger press) is useful. You can get the Digitech pedal (FS3) or, for someone of your background, it's an easy DIY job involving a couple of diodes. I've DIY'd my own as two seperate switches - one (double) for up/down, one (single) for stop and a split cable (for both) or a different cable if I'm just using the stop switch.

If he sings as well, you might consider one of the larger Digitech loopers that have both instrument and mic inputs useable simultaneously.

The ability to store multiple pre-prepared loops allows an awful lot of flexibility for live use - I even have a mate (sax player) who uses an older JamMan to play entire backing tracks.

As an example, my current entry in the Composition Challenge was entirely created on a JamMan SoloXT starting from a pre-prepared drum loop loaded onto the pedal.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    Ive personally found the Jamman range all slightly noisier when you dont use their power supply. As ever, YMMV
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    edited June 2018
    Does he live in France? If not that's an oddly specific aim!  

He does, on the coast and plays cafes and clubs and does some teaching.

I have emailed him with detailes and a YT demo of the JamMan, will keep yous all posted.

Dave.

• hasslehamhassleham Frets: 598
    TC Electronic Ditto X2. It manages to be simple AF to use and also cram in a few interesting features such as reverse and half speed. 

Ive Tried tonnes of loopers and X2 has always been my favourite. 
    Ditto.

I mean.. Agreed!
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161

You can change the settings to one stomp for the Boss pedals (at least you can on the RC-3).
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I have had the rc2 with external stop switch, and rc20. I currently use the rc1 with external stop switch, and just placed an order for the boss fs7 (to replace the single external switch with a dual one) which allows me to undo and redo with one press.

Rc1 alone is great for practice. Like others have mentioned, the stop switch makes it alot easier to use and is crucial for live playing. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I'm selling my Ditto x2 if you decide to go with that one. I bought it to use on a few songs but just not brave enough or practised enough to use it. Immaculate.

Sorry about the shameful plug :(
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    edited June 2018
    ecc83 said:

Dave.

There's an RC-2 for sale in the classifieds for £55 ...

• joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Being pretty much a luddite when it comes to anything more complex than the dials and buttons I see in front of me, I favour the Ditto x2 for live use too. 

I used to have an Akai E2 Headrush but the sound quality degrades quite a lot with each repeat. The Ditto x2 is fairly transparent and, with the extra footswitch for stop / reverse / slow, it's invaluable for me live, seeing as I use loops, often several, in every song as it's just me and the drummer in the band. 

Couldn't get on with the various button press combinations required when I had the single button Ditto either. 

I believe they also do a Ditto x4 if he wants to get really complicated with his loops...
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs