Query regarding modifying a neck.

What's Hot

Greetings folks,

I recently purchased Impmanns' Silver Series Squier strat, with the intention of re-doing the somewhat 'optimistic' refinish from a previous owner, and generally using it as a base to try new things and see how well I can get it to sound. I'll start a WIP thread once I get started on it.

However, my question here is in regard to the neck. In my hands, it feels a bit too chunky, and I'd like to take a rasp to it and soften the 'shoulders' a bit (to me it feels like a broad 'C' shape or 'U' shape). In the process removing the gloss lacquer and refinishing in satin. I am quite happy with the neck carving side of things (having built a couple from scratch), but would like to ask the collective wisdom for their thoughts? Is this a bad idea? Any particular pitfalls to be wary of? I am not concerned about potential reduction in value as this is unlikely to be sold.

Cheers,

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Having seen one of the guitars you’ve built I can’t see that there’s any cause for concern your end it’s well within your abilities to take a bit off of the neck. If you’re just taking a bit of the shoulders and leaving the overall depth as is I don’t think you’re in any danger of going through to the truss rod !
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Yeah, it’s quite easy and safe to modify the profile as long as you stay away from the depth
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534

Thanks chaps - I'll get right onto it when I have a spare weekend :) I'll maybe put a strip of masking tape along the skunk strip and make sure I don't touch it.

And thanks for the comment DrBob re:my self-built guitar!

Adam

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Kalimna said:

Thanks chaps - I'll get right onto it when I have a spare weekend :) I'll maybe put a strip of masking tape along the skunk strip and make sure I don't touch it.

And thanks for the comment DrBob re:my self-built guitar!

Adam

Mate if your guitar is any indication of your skills I’m gagging to try some of your home baked bread !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom