Open E,

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3352
Ive tuned to open E, is it a good idea to leave it like this? I have read about people being afraid of the tension. Its a Yamaha APX500, about ten years old now. Would it be prudent to tune down to D and use a capo?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26744
    What strings? If you're on 12s or less it's probably fine considering most acoustics can take 13s at standard tuning
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3352
    I think I have 12's on there, Daddario bronze lights I think they are.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    U can suss all'a this stuff with string gauge / tension calculators now - takes the guess work outa it.

do u HAVE to be in E ?.
    it's the same intervals as open D read fingering, only a tone up.
    I use 13-56 and tune down to D pitch for those intervals.
    Oh, it's not just string gauge - it's gauge over s/length that has to be considered.
    happy picking

• bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    AliGorie said:
    U can suss all'a this stuff with string gauge / tension calculators now - takes the guess work outa it.

do u HAVE to be in E ?.
    Oh, it's not just string gauge - it's gauge over s/length that has to be considered.
    happy picking

Yeah, open D and a capo on 2 = open E.
    mm - ok, I was actually asking if u NEEDED to be in the pitch of 'E' for singing along with or playing with others etc.
    If u'r just playing by u'r self - as I said, Open 'E' and Open 'D' are the same 'fingering' / chords it's just the pitch that's different - one tone apart or two steps as they say in the states.
    here's a piece of mine  played  in D/E tuning intervals but it's actually pitched in 'C' - two tones down.

To get u'r head round what u'r doing it's good to approach it from the interval relationship between the notes of the 'tuning system' you choose instead of the 'Pitch' - like Joni Mitchell did

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3352
    I guess I dont need to be in E, I am learning some songs in open E and could use a capo, I was just wondering if the strain of open E will be bad for the guitar if left like that.
    AliGorie said:

do u HAVE to be in E ?.
    happy picking

right - lets back track - u'r guitar will come with a recommended string gauge so if ya use the calculator above inputting scale length AND the gauge u want to try at whatever 'pitches' you want to tune it in - it'll give the resultant tension(s).
    As long as they are close to the recommended tension for u'r guitar they're should be no issues.
    I'm not being awkward in suggesting u do / learn some basic ground work here - it will be helpful as u progress as a guitarist.
    I learned all this stuff 50 yrs ago by trial and error - now u can do it without breaking to many strings (or guitars).
    happy pickin.   
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    robgilmo said:
    I guess I dont need to be in E, I am learning some songs in open E and could use a capo, I was just wondering if the strain of open E will be bad for the guitar if left like that.
    No, as already said it's no worse than a set of 13s at standard pitch, and any normally-built guitar will be ok with that.

If you're worried, use either 10s or a custom set with lighter A, D and G. Don't use a standard set of 11s because the normal sets of those have the A and D the same gauges as 12s.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson