Someone is going to have a fun easy jet flight next week.

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Wolfetone said:
    Wolfetone said:
    Haven't flown with easy jet for years... didn't occur to us to check in more than 24hrs before the flight.

Just randomly checked online for next weeks flight and they auto allocated us seats that are not together... some poor bastard is going to be sitting next to my 4 year old girl (who hates flying) whilst I relax 2 rows back.

Rang them up and they won't swap our seats, even though I offered to pay the charge to get the expensive seats that I can see are still free. 

Happy days. Going to tell my daughter to scream as loud as she can I think.
    You've been misinformed. You can go online and change any aspect of your booking up to about four hours before providing that they have the capacity. 

I fly around the world on many airlines and not one of them has ever refused a late request for either extra baggage or a seat change.
    No you can't.

It states clearly on the website that once checked in, seats cannot be altered. Customer Service also won't help. Also, the change seats box is grayed out.
    Ah, you checked in. OK, I understand now.
    yup. I was expecting to get offered a choice of here are your seats, would you like to pay for choice, didn't occur to me it would go straight to boarding card.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16002
    Paint a few Measles spots on her face before you board and tell her to keep coughing
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Are any of your allocated seats together?
    If they are, just ignore the names on the boarding cards and put yourself in the isolated seat.
    I've done that before and TBH it was nice and relaxing not having to referee the fights for the duration of the flight.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    Are any of your allocated seats together?
    If they are, just ignore the names on the boarding cards and put yourself in the isolated seat.
    I've done that before and TBH it was nice and relaxing not having to referee the fights for the duration of the flight.
    Nope, just the two of us.

Dominic said:
    Paint a few Measles spots on her face before you board and tell her to keep coughing
    The airline can refuse to take you unless the doctor declares you fit to fly.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited June 2018

You haven't flown yet, if you ask politely at the gate then hopefully they will do their best to accommodate you sitting together once you get onboard. I have seen this several times.

For those of you who think Easyjet charging for sitting together is a rip off, it's no different to the major airlines, the difference is they include the seat reservation charges within the much higher ticket price. EasyJet strip it out to lower the base ticket cost for those who want to fly like riding a bus at the lowest price possible without caring which seat they get.

Airlines have policies like all companies, we can't expect telesales/customer service operators to have the authority to breach their own company policies.

Most routes have a choice of airlines and you mostly get what you pay for. 

I came up against an annoying company policy at the weekend. Sports Direct no longer offer refunds for store purchases, only exchange or credit note. Same with HMV in store purchases, we tripped over that with a Christmas present for my daughter as well. No amount of kicking and screaming is going to change it so I suck it up and learn that it's best to check a companies returns policy prior to purchase.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021

For those of you who think Easyjet charging for sitting together is a rip off, it's no different to the major airlines, the difference is they include the seat reservation charges within the much higher ticket price. EasyJet strip it out to lower the base ticket cost for those who want to fly like riding a bus at the lowest price possible without caring which seat they get.

Most routes have a choice of airlines and you mostly get what you pay for. 

All true but their implementation of it sounds particularly poor. Surely it’s a nobrainer that children aged 12 or under should be seated next to the ticket purchaser. Doing otherwise is likely to be an inconvenience not just to the ticket purchaser but also to the person who winds up sitting next to a distraught child and to the cabin crew who have to cope with fallout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 452
    http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/boarding-and-flying/flying-with-children

Under 5 you can board early and book seats next to each other.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    If it were my son who is Autistic there would be he'll to pay should he have a meltdown
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Givne that their system seems to default to not seating a vulnerable child with the parent isn't there some sort of safeguarding issue here?

What would social services have to say about this?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    scrumhalf said:
    Givne that their system seems to default to not seating a vulnerable child with the parent isn't there some sort of safeguarding issue here?

Probably something about parents of vulnerable children being responsible for ensuring the safety of their kids, and not blaming the airline when they were too tight to pony up the extra tenner for a seat choice?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    If it were my son who is Autistic there would be he'll to pay should he have a meltdown
    Where you planning to take him?
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Last time I flew Easy jet. 6.30 flight, AM. Said to get to boarding gate within x minutes of departure, got there in plenty of time, gate was closed. Though we had wrong gate, looked around, no one to speak to. Came back, gate still closed.  Bit confused until two other guys sat on the floor by the gate said "wasting your time, we've been here about half an hour before you turned up and it was closed then". Shuffled our way back to main reception with these two guys (being airside this was no mean feat). Lo an behold, big Q at service desk with all the other unfortunate punters. Then it dawned on us what game they were playing. On early morning flights which are not fully booked they open the gate early then close it immediately. When you get to service desk all they can do is offer another ticket, of course most people have a pre arranged business mtg or similar and just pay up. We ended up having to take a train from Liverpool to Manchester to catch the PM flight from there....what can you do, you missed the gate. Naughty, naughty.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    edited June 2018

I came up against an annoying company policy at the weekend. Sports Direct no longer offer refunds for store purchases, only exchange or credit note. Same with HMV in store purchases, we tripped over that with a Christmas present for my daughter as well. No amount of kicking and screaming is going to change it so I suck it up and learn that it's best to check a companies returns policy prior to purchase.

Hmv should, least in our store we would. 
    Obviously statutory rights are unaffected for faulty items but for unwanted items we’ll offer a refund if an exchange isnt wanted within 21 days with the reciept. 

What was the details surrounding it man? Theres a few items we sell that are non returnable that i know of. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    scrumhalf said:

Probably something about parents of vulnerable children being responsible for ensuring the safety of their kids, and not blaming the airline when they were too tight to pony up the extra tenner for a seat choice?
    If social service thought it was an issue, they would be lobbying for change. Though, since when have social services ever acted in children's best interest?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    scrumhalf said:

No, the system defaults to seating children next to their adults. The problem arises when you forget to check in until the last minute. 

In EasyJet's defence I've flown with them with two kids every year for the last six and overall they've been fine. I forgot to check in until the last minute this year and they moved us around the plane like second nature. The other passengers were perfectly happy to help. Nobody wants a crying child sat next to them. 

When I've checked in early we've always been allocated adjacent seats. 

There's every chance this will turn out to be a non-issue. But well worth setting a reminder to check in at the earliest possible moment when you book the flight. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    skunkwerx said:

Hmv should, least in our store we would. 
    Obviously statutory rights are unaffected for faulty items but for unwanted items we’ll offer a refund if an exchange isnt wanted within 21 days with the reciept. 

What was the details surrounding it man? Theres a few items we sell that are non returnable that i know of. 
    A House of Marley bluetooth speaker, they would only offer exchange when my daughter went in for a refund. The HMV policy offers exchange only and makes no mention of refund.

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    Greed and Stupidity had a baby and they named it RyanAir
    ;) 

This is absolutely disgraceful. I doubt I’ll ever be on a flight with EasyJet again anyway but this has sealed the deal. I have 3 children under 9 and I would NEVER be separated from them. If they won’t move you both together the last thing you could do (assuming you keep the seats) is to ask whoever is beside either you or her to swap places. Any logical human being would say yes, I’d have thought.
    Oh fab. Our outbound flight has just been cancelled due to strike action. :(
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Oh fab. Our outbound flight has just been cancelled due to strike action. :(
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

You’re entitled to an alternative flight or a refund plus compensation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• martmart Frets: 5205
    edited June 2018
    Oh fab. Our outbound flight has just been cancelled due to strike action.
    That’s ridiculous. Going on strike is a totally disproportionate reaction to the threat of having a 4-year old sitting a few rows away from her dad.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom