New 65 Princeton Limited Edition

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 105
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/140398/

Looks lovely! 12" Celestion

Price ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 1713
    I actually quite like the 10” speaker in a Princeton, you really do notice how “fast” the speakers are compared to a 12”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 2829
    If you click buy now at the bottom of that link it takes you to a preorder page with £1339 listed.  If all they’ve done is change the tolex colour and put a greenback in it they’re having a laugh at that price.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16307
    Adam_MD said:
    If you click buy now at the bottom of that link it takes you to a preorder page with £1339 listed.  If all they’ve done is change the tolex colour and put a greenback in it they’re having a laugh at that price.  
    Spot on. It's fugly. Shame as those are great amps.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 1622
    I think it looks great - but way too much money.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 2234

I think it looks quite nice but the price is ridiculous for a PCB 15 watt amp.

The normal ‘65 is too expensive as it is.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fandangofandango Frets: 1031
    edited June 6
    Greatly depends on whether you prefer the '65 circuit in this over the '68 Custom Princeton Reverb. Then whether you rate the Greenback. And then whether you think the 65 circuit + Greenback is worth the extra.

Earlier this year (2018), Fender released a '65 with a 12" Cannabis Rex in tweed*. And a couple of years ago (or was it last year) Fender also issued a Princeton Black & Blue version in dark grey/black tweed with a 12" Celestion Alnico Blue.

* I gave this a good test in GuitarGuitar 2/3 months ago, and it sounded great within the confines of a test booth.

Not tried the Black & Blue.

If you really want a 12" speaker in a Princeton, the cheaper option is to get a standard used '65 or '68, pick up a baffle for £80-ish, and buy your own 12" speaker of choice. A bit of work with a screwdriver, and bob's your uncle. If your lucky, then just over half the price of the new Fawn/Greenback version.

I'm in the process of fitting a 12" Celestion Neo Creamback as we speak, after getting a baffle made by Alder & Ash (thank you Rich). But haven't yet had the chance to finish the job and test it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • fandangofandango Frets: 1031
    Adam_MD said:
    Ha ha ha! Follow the link (https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180604328132008--fender-fsr-65-princeton-reverb-fawn ) and you'll see it includes a gig bag?????

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 811
    Fawn slub is my favourite tolex colour on guitar amps (see Vox and Carr), however it doesn't look right here with the grill cloth colour and the cream knobs. 
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 105
    I guess this is not going to be a good purchase :) Yes indeed, overpriced! 
  • MtBMtB Frets: 398
    edited June 7
    For not a whole lot more you could get yourself a Rift PR18. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 5459
    I like the look of it and loved the 12" Greenback in the Morgan PR12. If I was gassing hard for one I would get it.
    Michael Fish is God
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 822
    I really like the look of that. But that is a lot of money.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • sratosrato Frets: 2
    Even the standard 65 PRRI is far too expensive for what it is.
  • BebopperBebopper Frets: 10
    I think it looks great but there’s an awful lot of competition at that price point.
    London Jazz Guitar Society: www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 402
    Go Rift! At that price! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • miserneilmiserneil Frets: 4952
    Love the look. Price is laughable though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 1215
    A Greenback is completely the wrong speaker for this amp, far too congested in the mids and I bet all that top-end sparkle is somewhat subdued by it also. The new A-type would have been a better option.

But...I quite like the look of it, it reminds me of 70s HiFi/Radio consumer gear that I find quite endearing. Numbered dials would have really set this off though, rather than the indicator markers designed for Witchhat knobs.
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 217
    RiftAmps said:
    A Greenback is completely the wrong speaker for this amp, far too congested in the mids and I bet all that top-end sparkle is somewhat subdued by it also. The new A-type would have been a better option.

But...I quite like the look of it, it reminds me of 70s HiFi/Radio consumer gear that I find quite endearing. Numbered dials would have really set this off though, rather than the indicator markers designed for Witchhat knobs.
    I tried a Greenback in my old Supersonic 22.  Took away so much of the 'Fenderness' and added nothing.  Definitely a try before you buy scenario.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1461
    The speaker really suits this amp. I've borrowed one for a meeting and its one of the best Princetons I've heard. 
    This is not an official response. 

ukqueries@fender.com 

• musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 498
    Your meetings sound a truck load better than my work meetings
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5655
    Supro-esque Tolex
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I quite prefer princetons with 10" speakers.

Instead of swapping speakers and tolex, why doesn't fender come out with an affordable pine cabinet princeton.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 1167
    Greenback seems like an awful choice for that amp. I don't even like them with Marshalls, I can imagine they sound really bad with a blackface Fender
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • teradaterada Frets: 533
    strtdv said:
    Greenback seems like an awful choice for that amp. I don't even like them with Marshalls, I can imagine they sound really bad with a blackface Fender

it'd be interesting to hear one. I played a Princeton today that had a creamback in it which sounded great, but took it away from that classic fender sound. It was over £1600 too, which to be honest is daylight robbery.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 8321
    The circuit difference between the 65 and 68 Princetons are just a few components costing literally just a few pence, and they're built on the same board. 

It's a whole lot of money for a 12" baffle and an average Celestion.